how to size a ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

9c1

Great thread. I have a 40 foot wooden extension ladder, and I am no longer able to deal with the weight.

I need to get to the gutters at 25 feet above ground. I am considering a fiberglass 28 foot ladder. This one is rated for 300 lbs. The next option seems to be 32 feet, but that one is all aluminum, and rated 1A which I think is less than the fiberglass.

Any ideas about which might weigh less -- that is an issue. Both are available from the local big-box home center. I guess I could try to pick them up to see which weighs less, but I would like some advance knowledge.
Terry

I may have under bought on a ladder, but it isn't that bad. I have a light weight 20' ladder. It is barely long enough to reach the rain gutter 16.5 feet above my deck. The recommendation is 2' above the roof. And it is a little springy under my now 180 pounds. But it is easy to move around and set up. If you are ofen working by yourself, that is important. And a lot of jobs, you don't need the full extension. So don't stick yourself with a big heavy ladder to lug around.

The OSHA recommendation is three feet of extension above the roof. On a second floor roof I wouldn't want any less.

Terry, check out the manufacturer's web sites. I believe you will find the major ones have a variety of strengths/weights in each size range, even within the standard materials.

I wouldn't buy anything but a fiberglass ladder. Whether it be a step ladder or extension, they are worth every penny.

Much safer, last 10 times longer, and feel better.

Hi,

OK, this might be very basic, but I want to make sure... how do you size one of those extending ladders, which one would lean against a house and use for cleaning gutters, etc.?

I assume that you want some degree of reach up past the top gutter of your house, which the ladder would be leaning against when opened to its full usable length. But how much? How far?

If you have a high and low roof, is it OK to use one of these ladders mostly 'doubled up', if you only need to go up to the first level gutter/roof, or is it best to have a single straight ladder to get to the lower heights?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

JMH

Using one doubled up is OK.

Get a good strong, stiff ladder. An extension ladder used at close to its rated weight can feel real springy and not be secure feeling. Be sure it's returnable if you don't like how it feels.

Unless you are real comfortable scrambling around at roof height, get a ladder that sticks up at least three feet above the eves so you have something to rest your hand on and give you a point of reference as you climb onto and off the roof.

You may want access to the highest section of wall someday, so ideally your ladder should be tall enough for you to reach any part of your walls.

Except for the weight, cost and handling/storage problems, you can't have too much ladder.

I tested by lifting and the aluminum was less weight. I bought it and did the first gutter cleaning earlier today. The 28-foot ladder just makes it for work at 25 feet. It barely sticks above the gutter.

I don't need to get on the roof -- never have, never will. A 1:1 pitch starting 25 feet above the ground is for someone else. Besides I just had an artificial slate roof with copper flashing and gutters installed. No one should have to go on the roof for a long time.
Terry

Figure out the height you need, add at least a couple of feet, plan on buying a nice type 1 or type 1A, and then go down and actually try to handle the one that you think that you need. Extend it up all the way, and then pick it up, carry several feet, and position it, a few times. Make sure it feels like no prblem as when the wind catches it it'll get hard to handle.

I ended up with a lighter type II, something like 25 feet or so. Consider blocks to place under it on soft ground, as you don't want one side sinking while you're 20 feet or so up.

JH,

Do yourself a favor and get a stabilizer bar for the ladder. It allows the latter to hang from the roof and not damage the gutters. It's much safer and gives a more stable feel.

It also protects the side of the house for chores like painting where you don't need to go to the roof.

As a tip, I put and axle and 2 wheels on one end of my 32' ladder. That way, I just easily pull it from storage to where I need it. I store it under my porch, and the wheels make for easy placement under the porch and keep the ladder from making ground contact while in storage.

Best of luck,

Jack

I made a mistake a few years ago: bought the cheapest ladder, and the highest height I wanted to go. I have a 24' alluminum type III (200 lbs) ladder. I do not like heights -- especially on this ladder. I can barely reach up to 20' on this ladder. Remember: a 24' ladder will not go up 24'. If you have the money, invest in a Type 1 or Type 1A ladder at a level at least 5-10' higher than you want to go. Mine is real wobbly at anything above 16'. I weigh less than 200lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back