How to secure a sandwitch adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I coated the rubber o-ring of the sandwitch adaptor with grease to prevent oil leak, and then tried to tighten it with a large bolt that came with it. But, the adaptor kept turning along with the bolt. How do I get a good tightening on the bolt to secure the adaptor?

Err ..I just looked at my permacool sandwich adapter ..it uses a "through the casting extension". That is ..IT COULD BE INSTALLED BACKWARDS.

Errr ..NEVER MIND!!! the O ring gasket can only go toward the block ..so that's out for a "cause" here.

..and btw..that poppet bypass valve can't be more than 1/8". I can't argue with others success in using this arrangment ..but there is NO WAY that I'd use a sandwich that only had this small poppet bypass valve for the "full flow" of my oil. I'd drill it out to 1/4" minimum and probably 3/8".

But to address your original post...can I assume that the "bolt" tightens (bottoms out)..but the remote does not?

If yes .. then I'd place the appropriate sized washers between the bolt "head" and the adapter. This should not be necessary, however.

[ June 03, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

..and btw..that poppet bypass valve can't be more than 1/8". I can't argue with others success in using this arrangment ..but there is NO WAY that I'd use a sandwich that only had this small poppet bypass valve for the "full flow" of my oil. I'd drill it out to 1/4" minimum and probably 3/8".

I've never seen the Perma Cool adapters, but the Flex-a-Lite has a 1/4" hole.

Yeah ..the Permacool appears to be a 1/4 as well ..it would be more accurate to say that it looks like it's suited for an 1/8 fitting. I'd (personally) feel uncomfortable with this ...again the imperical data clearly suggests that this is merely a "phobia".

Orificophobia - the irrational fear of oil flow restrictions.

I have some Motor Guards used with Perma-Cool sandwich adapters in the Bahamas at a tourist resort. They noticed that the sandwich adapter caused the oil pressure to be reduced. They drilled a 1/8" hole in the adapter to help the relief valve. That brought the oil pressure back up. For large engines it might be a good idea to drill a 7/32" hole in the adapter. They tried a 1/4" hole and it dropped the resistance too much and all of the oil went directly to the full flow filter and none went to the Motor Guard to be cleaned.
It probably isn't a good idea to put grease on the 0-ring. The 0-ring needs no lubricant because it doesn't turn. Only the center part turns. I put a flex-a-lite 3966 on a new Chevy 6.0. The center nut was about 1/4" too long. It bottomed out before it tightened up. Perma-Cool says the relief valve can handle the flow. I would think the problem could be with larger engines with some wear that need more oil than normal to pressure up the oil system. Remember that with the GM adapters with no relief valve in the adapter the relief valve in the filter mount will open and bypass both filters. The full flow filter will only be a secondary filter for the Motor Guard. You have converted the system to a straight bypass system like the old cars. It doesn't make much difference. The Motor Guard will have the oil cleaned very soon. You know everything is OK if your oil pressure is good and the Motor Guard is heating up.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back