How To Remove Wiper Blade Streaks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a used vehicle where by the previous owner did not replace the wiper blades soon enough - end result is streaks from both wiper blades seems to be etched into the glass ... Any product or method you know of to remove these wiper blade streaks ?

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
I think the damage is done. That was the case for my glass.

This was also the case with my Sedona. Thankfully, a large rock caused me to replace the windshield anyhow, so no more scratches
smile.gif
as dparm posted, there are also products that some have used with success, namely CarPro Ceriglass. Apply it with a buffer of some sort.

if you want to start with stuff you may already have
1) try clay bar
2) try mr clean magic eraser with rubbing alcohol or vinegar
3) try some kind of polish/cutting cream (toothpaste if you don't have)
4) more aggressive polishes
5) Professional help
6) replace windshield

If it's not actually scratched, I've cleaned a lot of windshields with Brasso and 4/0 steel wool. It leaves a nicely polished surface and removes streaks and grime that normal cleaners won't.

It's also safe.

I have found that a couple thorough treatments with RainX is pretty effective at removing wiper blade lines. Then, once you start using RainX, you should use your wiper blades less frequently. For me, wiper blade lines become non-existent.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Rain-X has the problem of exaggerating glare in many cases, just be careful.

Really? I've been using Rain-X for at least 10 years now, and never had an issue with glare. I use the original type, which you apply with a cloth to the windshield, then buff off the haze. It takes some effort to buff off all the haze, but when you are done, you will have a very clean windshield, with no wiper blade lines.

More than likely your going to have to polish the window with Cerium Oxide Glass Polish and some glass polishing pads. Glass can be a real PITA to correct and on a windshield, you have to worry about distortion and heat when polishing the glass.

If the "streaks" are indeed micro scratches in the glass, no amount of clay, window cleaner, rain X, steel wool etc will fix it. It's going to have to be polished out.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Have you tried a little water, followed up with a razor blade at an angle to see if you can remove the material on the glass?

I have the same issue with my windshield and the marks aren't anything ON the glass...the marks are IN the glass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back