How to make 5W-37.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingredients

Oversized oil filter
5 quart jug of 5W-40
1 quart of 5W-30
10 lbs of kitty litter

Mix well with stupidity and you’re done.

Ok, so here’s the story. I’ve always wondered why people always seem to use genuine Saab filters. In fact it kinda bugged me as the faith seemed some what blind. So I decided to try a different filter, a slightly bigger one that would flow better. Here’s a picture.

-

Now that’s an oil filter, big filter element, lots of flow, and surely it’ll fit. So the old filter comes of and on goes the big one. Initially things seem fine, but then it starts to scrap along some of the nuts and bolts. Determined that I know best, I press on until it seems to be completely on. I dump 4 quarts of 5W-40 in the engine and start it up. After 5-10 seconds the oil light hadn’t gone out so I shut it off. I look under the car to see about 2 quarts of clean oil on the ground. I put the last quart of 5W-40 in and have to add another quart of 5W-30 (5W-37.5
tongue.gif
). Lucky the Saab filter I had taken off only had a few hundred miles on it so I could re-use it. Here’s the damage after I moved the car.

-

Things I learned

1. Always have a back up plan
2. I don’t know better than the Saab engineers
3. 10 lbs of kitty litter isn’t enough to soak up 2 quarts of oil

Have a good laugh at me, I know I am. This is by far the dumbest automotive blunder I've ever had.

quote:

This is by far the dumbest automotive blunder I've ever had.

Is that all
confused.gif
Gosh, you live a blessed life. Rejoyce!
grin.gif
If this was the pinicle of my automotive screwup experimental career ..heck.. I'd bake myself a cake.
wink.gif

btw- I think there's a variant of the FL400S that's the skinnier version (like your OEM) but as long as an FL1A.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Gosh, you live a blessed life. Rejoyce!
grin.gif
If this was the pinicle of my automotive screwup experimental career ..heck.. I'd bake myself a cake.
wink.gif

I'm still young.
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip on the filter, I'll look into that.

This is where having an oil stash (and a few extra properly fitting filters) comes in handy. Hey, at least you got an engine flush--sort of.
wink.gif

I remember the time I drained the torque converter on my motorhome and thought the gallon jug would hold it. Went away and came back to find a couple quarts worth overflowed and all over the driveway. Well at least that was used oil.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back