how to get out o2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by dishdude
Unless it's throwing a code you're throwing your money away.

Not always. They do get lazy but no code. My Jeep really picked up mpg and power with new ones.

Yes they do. I follow what the manufacturer recommends.
I used to keep the engine running and break the sensor loose. The cat gets very hot and this helps to break it loose.
thumbsup2.gif

I replaced the Bank 1 upstream sensor with a Walker from RA (no issues whatsoever, I think the OE was Denso IIRC) when I had to take off the plenum to address a cylinder 1 issue..it was technically still working but I figured since I was in there and it was the factory sensor might as well. I cleaned up the old one, tested it on the bench using a torch and kept it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
Unless it's throwing a code you're throwing your money away.

I changed my 2 upstream O2s on my Ford Explorer and got 5-10 MPG gains. Originals had 289,000 KMs on them. My only regret is I had the new o2s for three years before I bothered to install them, thinking it wouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
You can try it when hot but you could also try it after a 2 minute warm up, when the manifold has taken heat but the sensor, not as much yet.

The longer the breaker bar, the better, because you get less side load for a given rotational torque.

Consider removing some fufu trim or airbox stuff or other interferences to get in there on there better.

Torch and quench was the only way I could get it out of the downpipe on my F350. I was under there for probably 30 minutes trying to get it to break free.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Fords have the tightest torqued O2 sensors of any make (In my opinion).

I cut the wires off & use a deep 7/8" or 22mm 1/2" drive socket on a 25" long 1/2" drive ratchet........ O2 sockets will spread!

You have courage, once you cut the wires, you are committed. I gave up years ago on my 87 f150. I'll wait till a code is thrown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener

You have courage, once you cut the wires, you are committed. I gave up years ago on my 87 f150. I'll wait till a code is thrown.

I don't cut the wires unless i can get an impact gun in there. If i can't get it off with a long end wrench, and i can't get impact in there, i don't cut the wires and i take it to the exhaust shop.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I don't cut the wires unless i can get an impact gun in there. If i can't get it off with a long end wrench, and i can't get impact in there, i don't cut the wires and i take it to the exhaust shop.

I have some room, maybe I can fit my electric impact in there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Fords have the tightest torqued O2 sensors of any make (In my opinion).

I cut the wires off & use a deep 7/8" or 22mm 1/2" drive socket on a 25" long 1/2" drive ratchet........ O2 sockets will spread!

I'm not scared.....Rarely do I have one not come out.

I apply Mouse Milk to them while they're hot and let it soak in. Then I unplug em so I can slip a box wrench on. I have a 100% success rate.

Not to be argumentative.....But I have never had success using penetrants on the outside, There's a crush washer that prevents it from reaching the threads.

The "Quench" trick works very well though, Get the O2 nut nice & hot with Victor & pour some cold water on it.

i changed out mine yesterday. rented a o2 sensor tool socket. i didn't have a long 3/8 bar so i used my craftsman torque wrench. it was 18" long so it gave enough leverage to break the o2 sensor out. didn't use WD40. i used a longer craftsman torque wrench to tighten it at 30ft lbs. i would say use a long enough bar with proper tool o2 socket will break it free.

I've been prety lucky with mine. I usually spray some pb blaster on them the day before and I use an o2 sensor socket to break them loose. Sometomes I cut the wires and use a deep socket if I have room.

I just change one on my 968. It was not throwing a code but the change made a difference in how the car ran for sure. The old one had 121000 miles on it
smile.gif
supposed to change at 60k I think

Originally Posted by bionictony
i changed out mine yesterday. rented a o2 sensor tool socket. i didn't have a long 3/8 bar so i used my craftsman torque wrench. it was 18" long so it gave enough leverage to break the o2 sensor out. didn't use WD40. i used a longer craftsman torque wrench to tighten it at 30ft lbs. i would say use a long enough bar with proper tool o2 socket will break it free.

Good way to make your torque wrench fubar.

Heat is usually your friend when trying to take out O2 sensors. When I went to replace the pre-cat O2 sensors on my 98 chevy K3500, they would not come out for anything. I tried heating them up with a torch, deep socket with a breaker bar, and nothing worked. I eventually took it to an exhaust shop. They got them out but they ruined the bung on one pipe and had to weld in a new one.

The ones on my 98 K1500 came out with no problems. The K3500 came from further up north in MO where they use a lot of salt and is probably why they wouldn't come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back