How to eliminate black spot under fingernail after accidentally hitting finger?

Was working on something and the tool slipped and hit a finger. Assume it's blood under the nail but after a month it hasn't gone away. How do you eliminate it?

I am not a Dr. but I always thought that it simply had to grow out in time. At least that is what it has always done for me.

Don’t be like someone I know and drill a hole through their finger to relieve the pressure 🤣 I told him it was a stupid idea he was trying to only go through the nail but the guy operating the drill press took it a little too far. To me they are both idiots lol 😂. But yes it will grow out over time.

Don’t be like someone I know and drill a hole through their finger to relieve the pressure 🤣 I told him it was a stupid idea he was trying to only go through the nail but the guy operating the drill press took it a little too far. To me they are both idiots lol 😂. But yes it will grow out over time.

When I was young and dumb I had the same idea, except I used a little metal pick. The hole did nothing to ease pain/pressure and when it grew out to the edge it was sensitive like when you clip to much off.

When I was young and dumb I had the same idea, except I used a little metal pick. The hole did nothing to ease pain/pressure and when it grew out to the edge it was sensitive like when you clip to much off.
That sucks lol I’ve personally never done that or wanted too I couldn’t bring myself to poke a hole in my fingernail.

The blood has clotted and it will not come out now even if you did make a hole. So don't make a hole. That would only be considered if recently injured and it is painful.

The blood has clotted and it will not come out now even if you did make a hole. So don't make a hole. That would only be considered if recently injured and it is painful.
This.

If you get the hematoma from an impact, it has to be drained in a few hours, before the blood coagulates. Ice it initially. If it still hurts from the pressure and swelling, that pressure is relived by a making a small hole in the nail. A hot wire is how it’s done. Best to let a doc relieve the pressure. Going too deep with the hot wire would not be helpful. Skip the drill press.

If the pain is severe, and/or lasts more than that day, you’ll need an X-ray to see if it’s broken.

Either way, it will take several months for the nail to grow back out, and get rid of the spot, whether the blood was relieved or not.

It may grow out unevenly, or in a different shape.

If you get the hematoma from an impact, it has to be drained in a few hours, before the blood coagulates. Ice it initially. If it still hurts from the pressure and swelling, that pressure is relived by a making a small hole in the nail. A hot wire is how it’s done. Best to let a doc relieve the pressure.
I'm a physician and I've done this many times. It has to be done quite soon after the injury. The little squirt of blood that comes out quenches the hot tip so it doesn't burn or hurt (if it's done right anyway). And there is instant pain relief.

I'd leave it to a physician.

The only reason to do this is to relieve pain. The dark spot will take months to grow out whether you do it or not. Nails grow at about the same speed as your hair so it will take a while.

Last edited:
Back