how to cut and paste files in mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
OK, simple question...

In PC, say I want to take files from one place, say, one drive, adn put them onto another, while having them be removed from the original. I can select them, and then do cut and paste, and it will put the files from the one drive to the other, just as I wanted.

Now, on a mac, when I select a bunch of files, say a bunch of photos... it will let me copy and paste the files, but it does not let me cut and paste the files. This requires me to go back in and delete the files after, which is an extra step of work, as well as a potential confusion step, as then I need to keep track of from what to what have I already transfered.

So is there a cut and paste equivalent in mac to move files from one disk to another?

Thanks!

JMH

Cut and paste is scary. What if you forget to paste or if you slip?
shocked.gif

Command + drag will move a file, methinks. Try it with something unimportant.
tongue.gif

command drag... got it.

I figured there was a way, I had just forgotten how. My last mac was a performa powerpc 75 MHZ.

thanks!

JMH

In Windows, if you cut and paste, it moves it. So if you cut but not paste, it doesn't move, hence it doesn't delete the original file.

There is nothing scary about it.

Yeah, well, command + drag will move a file across drives in OSX. There will be a green dot with a"+" in it under the cursor while moving a file this way.

Quote:

Yeah, well, command + drag will move a file across drives in OSX. There will be a green dot with a"+" in it under the cursor while moving a file this way.

You are correct in stating the command + drag will move files across drives but the green dot with an "+" is when you are copying. I look at it like this, if I see the green dot with an "+" I am keeping the originally "plus" making a copy somewhere else. You should see no icon change when moving.

green dot "+" copies
arrow icon indicates an alias creation or a link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back