How to clean "blotchy looking vinyl" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Inherited the detailing duties for a 2005 Toy RAV4. Has the black vinyl dash and door panels, trim.
The last time the vehicle was detailed was by one of those cheapy shops that "Armorall everything that is plastic". It was a shiny, greasy, but clean-looking car for a while.

After a year of grunge and no cleanings, tried cleaning the dash, trim, door panels with soap and hot water - Murphy's Oil Soap that is.
Cleaned the plastic bits (several times) and left a satin sheen - except on the dash. Must've washed the dash like 5 times and I am left with some blotchy areas where the sheen is a bit more than other areas.

I am thinking the less-shiny patches are due to the vinyl being still full of "absorbed Armorall".

Anyone have a suggestion for a vinyl cleaner that cleans and doesn't look like the interior has been slathered in Armorall?

Thanks in advance!

You need to then get a dedicated cleaner. Diluted Simple Green will work fine. Dilute it one ounce to a 32 ounce spray bottle. Spray and wipe off and then wipe the surface clean with a damp rag. Then apply the protectant of your choice.

By price and effectiveness you really still can't beat Armor All. Just use it right. Don't spray it directly on the surface but instead on a damp cloth. Wipe and after it dries buff it with a dry microfiber and you'll leave the surface protected and evenly coated with a matte finish.

If you have a carpet brush that goes onto a DA Polisher, or even an old tooth brush, spray some APC onto the trim and scrub it. This will usually remove most of the junk.

As for "protectants," I doubt they provide much actual protection - but for cosmetic purposes, I use Blackwow Pro for the exterior trim.

You could try a leather cleaner. That's what I use to clean interior plastics. It's gentle enough that it won't fade/damage the plastics.

Be very careful what you use to clean your interior plastics. A cleaner that's too harsh will "whiten" and dry out your plastics.

I cleaned my new Sierra 1500 this afternoon for the first time. I cleaned the interior trim with a diluted mixture of Purple Power and water. I then followed up with some Son-Of-A-Gun Protectant I had on hand. I was not happy. Black trim looked uneven, and "splotchy". Son-Of-a-Gun Protectant will now be recycled at the next trash pick up. I just got back from Walmart and picked up some Ice cleaner/protectant and will try again tomorrow. Hopefully the results will be more to my liking.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I cleaned my new Sierra 1500 this afternoon for the first time. I cleaned the interior trim with a diluted mixture of Purple Power and water. I then followed up with some Son-Of-A-Gun Protectant I had on hand. I was not happy. Black trim looked uneven, and "splotchy". Son-Of-a-Gun Protectant will now be recycled at the next trash pick up. I just got back from Walmart and picked up some Ice cleaner/protectant and will try again tomorrow. Hopefully the results will be more to my liking.

I wonder if the PP was too harsh for the plastics? I prefer to clean the interior with some kind've "conditioner". A lot of plastics seem to be too delicate for cleaners/degreasers.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I wonder if the PP was too harsh for the plastics? I prefer to clean the interior with some kind've "conditioner". A lot of plastics seem to be too delicate for cleaners/degreasers.

That could be. I really diluted it down though to a very high ratio of water to PP. I've never heard of using leather cleaner to clean interior trim. I happen to have some on hand so I'll give it a try before using the Ice detailer. Anything will look better than the way it does now. So frustrating with only 900 miles on it to look like it does.

That could be. I really diluted it down though to a very high ratio of water to PP. I've never heard of using leather cleaner to clean interior trim. I happen to have some on hand so I'll give it a try before using the Ice detailer. Anything will look better than the way it does now. So frustrating with only 900 miles on it to look like it does.

I think you'll like the results. I use leather cleaner (Blue Coral) on my gf's Mustang interior. It's that hard plastic type,and it works like a charm. Not too shiny/glossy,and it makes the interior smell great! Plus it doesn't harm the plastic,dry it out,or turn anything white/chaulky like harsh cleaners will.

I think you'll like the results. I use leather cleaner (Blue Coral) on my gf's Mustang interior. It's that hard plastic type,and it works like a charm. Not too shiny/glossy,and it makes the interior smell great! Plus it doesn't harm the plastic,dry it out,or turn anything white/chaulky like harsh cleaners will.

Do you follow up with some type of protectant or just use the leather cleaner by itself?

On hers I just use the leather cleaner with no conditioner or protectant since it's all that hard plastic stuff. On my car,I use leather cleaner and conditioner because my interior trim is that soft vinyl padded stuff.

On hers I just use the leather cleaner with no conditioner or protectant since it's all that hard plastic stuff. On my car,I use leather cleaner and conditioner because my interior trim is that soft vinyl padded stuff.

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back