How Soon to Use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by SlavaB

There is also a fact of numerous claims here on bitog that M1 makes their cars noisier, even statistically it can't be an error

Actually, yes it can. There have been absolutely ZERO posters who have backed that noise theory with actual data. Furthermore, the vast majority of us who have used Mobil 1 over the last several decades have never experienced this illusive phenomena.

There is a strong thread of mythology that runs through the various claims made regarding this oil or that. Separating the anecdotes and legend from fact is daunting and there is precious little of the latter comparatively. While the claim that Aunt Margaret's 1997 Accord was loud and down on power on *insert oil here* may get stashed in the memory banks of those already operating in a partial echo chamber and trotted out at a later date as "proof", it isn't. No matter how many times they repeat it.

Overkill, with all due respect, if you have only used Mobil-1 for decades, then how can you suggest no other oils run quieter?

Here are some things I have noticed over the years and, imo, they simply can't be written off as bunk.

Switching my 4 stroke Yamaha Vector snowmobile from Yamalube to Mobil-1, I noticed a significant difference in the noise coming from the engine.

Switching my truck's oil years ago from Mobil-1 to Pennzoil, I also noticed a noticeable difference on how quiet and smooth it ran.

This past summer, changing the oil in my son's car to Pennzoil Ultra from Pennzoil Platinum, both of us immediately noticed a difference on how quiet it was.

I know many will say, well, you are removing the old and adding new, and although that does have some merit, doing oil changes and being around engines for the past 40+ years, one begins to learn/get use to how things sound after doing oil changes.

They supply base stock for dozens of companies … many of them darlings of this site. Yet no one mentioned noise as they slobber over those brands. (hint, RP, ST, Valvoline, Amsoil … many more)
They use more various base stocks in base oil than others… yet its the name on the jug that makes them all the same regardless of the combination or viscosity

Not one member who makes these claims even attempts to come up with a technical reason this might be.
(loud clinging molecules?)

Last but not least … I DB tested in both a Ford and GM … PUP lost both times.

There is noise alright …

I personally wouldn't use it, it really isn't anything that M1 or any other non purple synthetic isn't already for less money. You are probably only paying for the purple dye they use in it.

Sure there's nothing wrong with it, but unless you can get a good deal on it, pick something cheaper and sleep easy.

OP,
Use whatever you can afford, meets Ford spec, and helps you sleep at night.
In a EcoBoost turbo, I'd look for something that's full synthetic, meets Ford spec, and meets ACEA A1/A5 or Dexos1 G2, as these certifications are some of the best choices for your turbocharged engine, even if neither are associated with FoMoCo.

Also, Royal Purple will get tons of hate on here, but last I remember, it does have Dexos approval. This being said much cheaper oil has Dexos approval as well and will be just as sufficient for your engine. If you want to run it, do it, change at 2k miles and run with it. But, as a suggestion, if you're going to spend boutique money oil, buy a botique oil. Amsoil, Schaeffers, Red Line, and others are all very good oils, for the same price or even cheaper than RP, and have put up great if not better numbers than RP in UOAs.

Anyway. Yeah. Drive on.

Originally Posted by irv
Overkill, with all due respect, if you have only used Mobil-1 for decades, then how can you suggest no other oils run quieter?

Hold on for a second, where did I ever say I ONLY used Mobil 1 for decades? I said I've used Mobil 1 for decades, but never stated, nor implied, it was exclusively. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to make a comparison if that was the only oil.

In boats:
- 312 Ford Interceptor, highly modified, ~425HP, ran Castrol, Valvoline and Mobil 1 in it. No difference in noise between the 3x. Mobil 1 was arguably smoother, but that's anecdotal.
- 351W GT-40 in our current Supra. No idea what was in it, bulk from the Marina. Now has Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in it, no difference.
- Iron Duke in a 1976 Glastron. Marina bulk to Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, no difference.
- Honda 9.9 4-stroke. Marina bulk to AMSOIL ASL 0w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40, no difference between the three.

In ATV's:
- Yamaha 225DX trike. Ran Yamalube 20w-40, switched to M1 TDT/D1 (which were the same at the time) 5w-40. No difference
- Suzuki 250 sport quad. Swapped out whatever ATV-specific lube was in there for TDT/D1 5w-40. No difference

In OPE:
- Troy-bilt with a Honda GVC engine. Swapped out OEM 10w-30 for M1 0w-40. No difference
- Craftsman lawn tractor w/B&S V-twin. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 10w-30. No difference
- Yamaha 7,000W generator. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 10w-30. No difference
- Makita 4,500W generator. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 0w-40. No difference

In vehicles:
- 1989 Lincoln Town Car. Swapped out dealer bulk 5w-30 for Mobil 1 5w-30. No difference. Years later, I switched it to M1 0w-40 which became my favourite for Windsor engines.
- 1987 Mustang GT. Swapped out whatever the PO ran in it for various grades of Mobil 1. It didn't seem picky. Valve cover gaskets immediately started leaking and had to be replaced. Eventually settled on M1 0w-40.
- 1988 F-250 w/300 i6. Swapped out Castrol 10w-30 for M1 5w-30. No difference
- 2001 BMW M5. Swapped out BMW 5w-30 for M1 0w-40. If anything, it was quieter.
- 2002 Ford Expedition. Ran everything under the sun in it. It had Pennzoil, Castrol, AMSOIL, Petro-Canada, Petro-Canada Duron, Redline, Delvac 1, Motul and Mobil 1. Mobil 1 didn't consume, it drank the AMSOIL and Redline (5w-30) made it a bit sluggish. Eventually settled on M1 AFE 0w-30 for it.
- 2005 Subaru Forester XT. Went from dealer bulk 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40. No difference, if anything, it was quieter.
- 2006 Dodge Charger R/T. Went from dealer bulk (Pennzoil) 5w-20 to Castrol Edge gold bottle 0w-20 to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20. No difference.
- 2014 Dodge Charger SRT. Went from Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 to Mobil 1 0w-40. No difference.
- 2016 Dodge Durango Limited. Went from dealer bulk 5w-20 to Castrol Edge gold bottle 0w-20 to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20. No difference.
- 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Went from Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 to Castrol Edge Euro 0w-40 to Ravenol SSL 0w-40. No difference.
- 2018 Dodge RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. Went from Shell 5w-40 to Delvac 1 5w-40. No difference
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport. Went from dealer bulk (Pennzoil) 5w-20 to Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. No difference

I currently have in stock here:
- Castrol Edge (gold bottle) 0w-20
- Mobil 1 FS 0w-40
- Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40
- Ravenol SSL 0w-40
- Motul 0w-30
- AMSOIL ASL 0w-30

Originally Posted by irv

Hold on for a second, where did I ever say I ONLY used Mobil 1 for decades? I said I've used Mobil 1 for decades, but never stated, nor implied, it was exclusively. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to make a comparison if that was the only oil.

In boats:
- 312 Ford Interceptor, highly modified, ~425HP, ran Castrol, Valvoline and Mobil 1 in it. No difference in noise between the 3x. Mobil 1 was arguably smoother, but that's anecdotal.
- 351W GT-40 in our current Supra. No idea what was in it, bulk from the Marina. Now has Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in it, no difference.
- Iron Duke in a 1976 Glastron. Marina bulk to Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, no difference.
- Honda 9.9 4-stroke. Marina bulk to AMSOIL ASL 0w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40, no difference between the three.

In ATV's:
- Yamaha 225DX trike. Ran Yamalube 20w-40, switched to M1 TDT/D1 (which were the same at the time) 5w-40. No difference
- Suzuki 250 sport quad. Swapped out whatever ATV-specific lube was in there for TDT/D1 5w-40. No difference

In OPE:
- Troy-bilt with a Honda GVC engine. Swapped out OEM 10w-30 for M1 0w-40. No difference
- Craftsman lawn tractor w/B&S V-twin. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 10w-30. No difference
- Yamaha 7,000W generator. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 10w-30. No difference
- Makita 4,500W generator. Swapped out SAE30 for M1 0w-40. No difference

In vehicles:
- 1989 Lincoln Town Car. Swapped out dealer bulk 5w-30 for Mobil 1 5w-30. No difference. Years later, I switched it to M1 0w-40 which became my favourite for Windsor engines.
- 1987 Mustang GT. Swapped out whatever the PO ran in it for various grades of Mobil 1. It didn't seem picky. Valve cover gaskets immediately started leaking and had to be replaced. Eventually settled on M1 0w-40.
- 1988 F-250 w/300 i6. Swapped out Castrol 10w-30 for M1 5w-30. No difference
- 2001 BMW M5. Swapped out BMW 5w-30 for M1 0w-40. If anything, it was quieter.
- 2002 Ford Expedition. Ran everything under the sun in it. It had Pennzoil, Castrol, AMSOIL, Petro-Canada, Petro-Canada Duron, Redline, Delvac 1, Motul and Mobil 1. Mobil 1 didn't consume, it drank the AMSOIL and Redline (5w-30) made it a bit sluggish. Eventually settled on M1 AFE 0w-30 for it.
- 2005 Subaru Forester XT. Went from dealer bulk 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40. No difference, if anything, it was quieter.
- 2006 Dodge Charger R/T. Went from dealer bulk (Pennzoil) 5w-20 to Castrol Edge gold bottle 0w-20 to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20. No difference.
- 2014 Dodge Charger SRT. Went from Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 to Mobil 1 0w-40. No difference.
- 2016 Dodge Durango Limited. Went from dealer bulk 5w-20 to Castrol Edge gold bottle 0w-20 to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20. No difference.
- 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Went from Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 to Castrol Edge Euro 0w-40 to Ravenol SSL 0w-40. No difference.
- 2018 Dodge RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. Went from Shell 5w-40 to Delvac 1 5w-40. No difference
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport. Went from dealer bulk (Pennzoil) 5w-20 to Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. No difference

I currently have in stock here:
- Castrol Edge (gold bottle) 0w-20
- Mobil 1 FS 0w-40
- Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40
- Ravenol SSL 0w-40
- Motul 0w-30
- AMSOIL ASL 0w-30

Well, my apologies then
I took it from your post "using Mobil for decades" was likely the only oil you used.

I guess this debate, like a lot of them, will go on forever with some saying yes and some saying no with no real conclusion.

"Personally", I'm a believer that some oils are louder than others and nothing will ever change my mind, and with "many" also claiming the same thing, I know I am not alone in my belief.
To me, and although not based on the same topic, there is a reason why some engines consume certain oils and some don't. Not all oils are created equally.
My old 87 Chevy 305 could not keep Amsoil in it. I switched to Mobil and my consumption stopped? I don't recall any noise differences but that is going back many years.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=X_...es%20with%20different%20oils&f=false
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2571836
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2574117
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3112902
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1076659
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/d...rrect-oil-viscosity-using-synthetic-oils
https://carroar.com/reduce-engine-noise/
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/4451/why-is-my-engine-quieter-with-synthetic-oil
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by irv

To me, and although not based on the same topic, there is a reason why some engines consume certain oils and some don't. Not all oils are created equally.
My old 87 Chevy 305 could not keep Amsoil in it. I switched to Mobil and my consumption stopped? I don't recall any noise differences but that is going back many years.

Had the exact same experience with the 5.4L in our Expedition. it drank AMSOIL AZO, but wouldn't use any Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 in the same grade
21.gif
I gave it multiple OCI's to "settle" and it never did.

Originally Posted by irv

Had the exact same experience with the 5.4L in our Expedition. it drank AMSOIL AZO, but wouldn't use any Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 in the same grade
21.gif
I gave it multiple OCI's to "settle" and it never did.

My buddy was selling it at the time so I was trying to support him. I also did a couple/few OCI's but told him I could no longer afford to use it. This was back in the early nineties and I was using it in my 87 305 Chevy Wrangler.

When I purchased my 05 Yamaha Grizzly 660, I thought I'd try it again for some reason but I got the same result. I believe I switched to Rotella something or other and my consumption stopped.

There is likely older posts in here somewhere about both issues? My bud and a Amsoil guy on here tried to find answers, and I even believe a free oil change was offered if I'd try one more time?
I was tired of adding it/babysitting my truck so I declined.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Also, Royal Purple will get tons of hate on here, but last I remember, it does have Dexos approval. Anyway. Yeah. Drive on.

So you're saying OP may as well just go to Rural King and buy 5 quarts of Harvest King synthetic d1G2 for $13.99 vs 1 quart of RP for $13.99? I agree! When changed at the distances recommended with GDI, I'd bet there is no statistical difference in engine life when comparing failures caused by the oil itself.

Why Royal Purple?

Agree M1 if you want to feel good about using a premium oil.

Just know, your engine will last as long even using SuperTech synthetic. :eek:)

and quite honestly there is nothing wrong with Fords Semisyn since you dont seem to care how much oil cost, its not like the other oils will have less wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Also, Royal Purple will get tons of hate on here, but last I remember, it does have Dexos approval. Anyway. Yeah. Drive on.

So you're saying OP may as well just go to Rural King and buy 5 quarts of Harvest King synthetic d1G2 for $13.99 vs 1 quart of RP for $13.99? I agree! When changed at the distances recommended with GDI, I'd bet there is no statistical difference in engine life when comparing failures caused by the oil itself.

That's exactly what I'm saying but not really.

It's not a bad oil when it comes to specs, since it does meet D1G2. You can say its safe to use.

But yeah. That price.
27.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
They supply base stock for dozens of companies … many of them darlings of this site. Yet no one mentioned noise as they slobber over those brands. (hint, RP, ST, Valvoline, Amsoil … many more)
They use more various base stocks in base oil than others… yet its the name on the jug that makes them all the same regardless of the combination or viscosity

Not one member who makes these claims even attempts to come up with a technical reason this might be.
(loud clinging molecules?)

Last but not least … I DB tested in both a Ford and GM … PUP lost both times.

There is noise alright …

Your hearing aides are getting more and more likely to be very expensive... Like thousands of dollars
lol.gif

I'm gonna get you the good ones so they will not be cheap...

Wow. Confirmation bias is strong here.

RP is a good oil. RP is a relatively expensive oil. RP has also failed to prove that it is really any better than many other oils at far lower prices.

Obviously it makes some folks feel better to use the oil of their choice. I say have at it. Use what you like.

Just don't push your brand with any irrational arguments with no proof. That is the sole reason RP gets dissed here.

Developing a sense of humor helps...

^ yes - oil is such a trigger topic for so many....facts are often secondary

others:
Ford/Chevy
Glock/1911

Originally Posted by tundraotto
^ yes - oil is such a trigger topic for so many....facts are often secondary

others:
Ford/Chevy
Glock/1911

Oh its way further down the line than secondary. Its all about you have to support me on this because I'm a fanboy whose going to try to force my ideas down your throat.

If anyone still thinks that RP is not irrationally hated or ridiculed, I issue this challenge:

Go to http://www.pqiamerica.com/. Find their red listed JUNK OILS like City Star, etc. Here, I will help you:

https://pqia.org/advisoriesconsumer-alerts-and-dont-buys/

Now, find a SINGLE ONE of these harmful red listed junk oils that has been ripped and scorned like RP has been here at BITOG through the years. Please, find just a SINGLE ONE thats hated as much as RP. .....You can't!

Amazing, isn't it? RP is a fine product that provides excellent protection, but it is blasted to smithereens here, while the junk oils from the scam companies GET A PASS from you all. Why don't you T-off on the red listed junk oils that actually hurt consumers?

What really makes Royal Purple so great? Is it the base oils? The additives?

Where do they source their base and additives from?

Nobody here is saying that RP is a bad oil. The fact remains that they are at a higher purchase price point than comparable brands, some of which they get their components from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back