How Soon to Use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to have the 1.6L Ecoboost engine in my 2015 Ford Escape replaced. As some of you may know, a lot of these engines had to be replaced due to cracked engine blocks. Mine was covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm sure that the new engine was filled with Ford's synthetic blend of oil. I had been running Mobil 1 in the original engine--and the engine failure was certainly not due to a problem with the oil! But my research has indicated that Royal Purple may be a better motor oil than Mobil 1. However, my engine now has fewer than 300 miles on it, and Royal Purple advises to wait until your engine has at least 2,000 miles on it before using their oil. This is, supposedly, so that valves and piston rings can wear and seat properly. Now, when getting a new car, I normally change the oil between 500 and 1,000 miles, to get any metal particles out that could have resulted from the break-in process. So, what would happen if I put in Royal Purple at around 1,000 miles? Would that prevent the engine parts from "wearing in" optimally? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Here's there thing about research, it can be faulty. There is a difference between actual research and absorbing marketing materials that make wild claims. Additionally, I agree with the post above me in that Mobil 1 is a superior oil to Royal Purple, not only does ExxonMobil have a large R&D budget, but they have a more varied and available product lineup, with some products far surpassing the capabilities of anything Royal Purple offers.

I won't dive into the RP vs M1 debate, but it sounds like whatever the dealer put in would be a better oil for break-in purposes anyway. Leave it in.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I think I'd speak for the majority here and say M1 is a far superior oil to Royal Purple.

I prefer M1, mostly because it's a quality synthetic oil with known properties, available in any viscosity/type and it's available anywhere, anytime for a reasonable price. The local WM has a 5qt jug for $22.98. Hard to beat that.

Each manufacturer has a product line of pedestrian oil and very robust oils. For example:
M1's TDT 5W-40 or Delvac 1, 5W-40 are some of the most robust oils mankind has produced.

My point is that I'm not sure a statement could be made that one is better. We'd need to compare equal products in long term use.

Oh, and leave the original oil in for at least 1000 miles. No harm will come of it, and no benefit will come from an early oil change. Unless the engine was contaminated somehow, in which case, change it right away, with similar oil.

Last edited:
ORIGINALLY.... when Royal Purple was marketed, it was a very good oil.

It has slowly been going downhill over the years .... (the regular "consumer" line, Not the "racing" line)

It used to be great, not so much any more.

I'd honestly run Quaker State Advanced Durability full synthetic in your engine, if I were you.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Oh, and leave the original oil in for at least 1000 miles. No harm will come of it, and no benefit will come from an early oil change.

I'd go 3,000 miles to be honest.

I would wait until you win the Lotto Max before you switch to Royal Purple. If your Escape is a 10 foot hole, then M1 and RP are 20 foot ladders.
27.gif

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I think I'd speak for the majority here and say M1 is a far superior oil to Royal Purple.

LOL and its 35% cheaper.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Cujet

Oh, and leave the original oil in for at least 1000 miles. No harm will come of it, and no benefit will come from an early oil change.

I'd go 3,000 miles to be honest.

I 2nd 3000 miles as well. Let the motor break in. 3000 miles is still very conservative.

And any synthetic oil will be fine. I have never seen anything that showed a motor will not blow up due to brand X over brand Y.

Ah, the weekly BASH RP thread, complete with ignorant and some totally false accusations.

But hey, don't let any factual truth stand in the the way of another RP hate fest. Carry on!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Ah, the weekly BASH RP thread, complete with ignorant and some totally false accusations.

Really examples please.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Really examples please.

Gave them for years. Not going to repeat again for the umpteenth time. Just tired of it.

Really examples please.

Gave them for years. Not going to repeat again for the umpteenth time. Just tired of it.

Because you don't really have them or you supply some facts. Lots of oil are cheaper and just as good with a rebate. Fact Mobil 1 Walmart on Rollback $22.88.

M1 AFE is not synthetic, neither is your Royal Purple ILSAC / API certified product.

Do yourself a favour and run a spitzenklasse Deutsche moterenoel

e.g: Fuchs, Pentosin,

Vive la France ! ? TotalFinaElf, Motul

Really.

Because you don't really have them or you supply some facts.

Let me repeat for you since apparently you cannot read:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back