How reliable are AWD Challengers

Find an Ex-Law Enforcement Charger. They were available with AWD and the V8. We had a bunch of them before we transitioned to Ford stuff. We still have a few kicking around, although one of them isn't long for this world, it stopped by to drop off a customer the other night and it sounded like the lifter was about to get bashed through the block it was hammering so loud.

I believe they had the 5-speed trans as well, since it was stronger at the time if memory serves.
I've always heard that ex-law enforcement vehicles are maintenance nightmares as they lived a hard life of hard use and were sold for a reason when they are sold.

So the difference between the Challenger vs Charger and 300 is different enough that these would not have the bugs worked out?

I don't trust RWD even with snow tires let alone all season tires.
The big issue with rwd is weight balance. I know of a few bmw drivers with 3 series that are 50/50 and do fine in snow. My neighbor had a Chrysler 300 with snow tires and it still did terrible in the snow.

I've always heard that ex-law enforcement vehicles are maintenance nightmares as they lived a hard life of hard use and were sold for a reason when they are sold.
Well, especially those V8's, which idle all the time and are known to eat camshafts/lifters from idling. Most all of ours developed the tick, I noticed when they were at my facility dropping off clients most all of them were heavy tickers.

Well, especially those V8's, which idle all the time and are known to eat camshafts/lifters from idling. Most all of ours developed the tick, I noticed when they were at my facility dropping off clients most all of them were heavy tickers.
That's another reason. As much as a hemi would be nice, they just have to many problems.

I have one drama queen car to take care of, I don't need two.

The main problem I have to figure out is whether the security problem will be adequately resolved with the club for the steering wheel along with a wheel boot. If not I, may have to give up on it and try something else.

That's another reason. As much as a hemi would be nice, they just have to many problems.

I have one drama queen car to take care of, I don't need two.

The main problem I have to figure out is whether the security problem will be adequately resolved with the club for the steering wheel along with a wheel boot. If not I, may have to give up on it and try something else.
A club isn’t going to stop a determined car thief.

It might work.
Look at the rankings of stolen vehicles. The Chargers and Challengers are pretty popular with thieves.

They're also pretty popular among people who run from the Arkansas State Police. Lots of Youtube videos with footage from ASP dashcams chasing Chargers and Challengers.

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6
They're also pretty popular among people who run from the Arkansas State Police. Lots of Youtube videos with footage from ASP dashcams chasing Chargers and Challengers.
Not a problem here. I follow the speed limit.

I have owned a Scat Pack Charger, and I traded it in on a SXTPLUS AWD Challenger, it's my DD, and I get Snow occasionally.
The AWD is very nice, great in the rain, drove it in about 6 inches of snow last year-- moved thru the snow like a jungle cat.
My Charger was not snow friendly, and with RWD, wasn't the best in the rain.
The V6 is oil change friendly--I use a Mityvac to suck out the oil and it gets every last drop.
Challenger V6 holds 5.9/6 quarts, and that's what I extracted out. The oil filter needs to be torqued to 18 lbs.

From what I've read, the way these get stolen is the thieves get access to the fob. This isn't like the Kia Boyz.

From what I've read, the way these get stolen is the thieves get access to the fob. This isn't like the Kia Boyz.
It's that and they can disable the parking break (not to be confused with the emergency Break) through the center console. Chrysler did that apparently due to fears of the needing to move it to neutral when the battery is dead.

They can put them in neutral then tow them away.

I would be parking in a lot that is supposed to have a security car driving around for what that's worth or I could park it in a lot near one of the police stations assuming that would be discouraging to thieves.

It won't be in my garage either as I can only fit one in there.

Last edited:
According to burla all they ever needed was Redline 5w20… despite the fact that even the best oil cannot “fix” an engineering or material shortcoming. 🤣

Back