How probable is a No Pull condition after ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
change. I took a look up under Auntie's 2002 Focus SE. She has the 1DAP-SA transmission, or similar letters, it is an SE. At OVERK1LL's information, i have been itching to remove that line (which is right out in the open, a first) and "run the fluid out," as they say. Then add a little, then do it again, listening for the sputtering for all the fluid to come out, then refill, 8 quarts. My only question at this time as i see the line, can envision it bending down into the pan (assuming the fluid runs in the direction of the front of the vehicle to the back that is. The line is on the top of the transmission i do hope that it is the return line not the trans cooler feeding line. Driver side of the car the trans is on and so is this line, also the exact transmission midel designation sticker. And i have the high mileage Supertech fluid by XOM ready to go, i can change it all with that) is the chance or probability of a NO PULL condition.

The trans jumps into and out of gear a lot, particularly at highway speeds, it can pull for as ling as 40 seconds or as short as a few and then rev as in neutral. OVERK1LL is making me want to try his method, since his Focus did the same thing.

Car has virtually 130,000 miles flat, 130,007 miles. ATF would be the most easy fix.
smile.gif

Advice?

Now that all i need is a wrench and a pan im ready to go.......... My Aunt and I do not talk about this, but im willing to bet her car back to normal operation. (And it is likely my imagination, but i saw no seepage and the trans looks clean. Even the sticker is on. My aunt has no idea how good parts of her car are, only how much she spent on coolant and fans, which are now all new. Doh.)

?

I forgot to add that her trans functioned as if it had no issues one time on the second half of an hour-long highway drive to our other family's house.

How likely is a no-pull condition after i run out the fluid and fill it up with new

I would chance the line flush method which is what you want to do. Highly likely the fluid has never been changed and is spent. Go for It.

Man you just don't give up, my advice again is to leave her car alone. At 130K the car is also overdue for timing belt, plugs, wires, fuel filter and who knows what else.

Since you just wont quit at least make sure you got the Mercon V fluid, the universal Mercon/Dextron stuff wont work. You can use the leftover MerconV in power steering too.

I agree. Once something goes wrong with the car, you are going to get blamed for it since you were the last one to fiddle around with it.

Heck, I wont even change my GF's trans fluid anymore. I send her to a shop to get it done. I dont feel like eating a $2k repair bill if the already old trans decides to quit after I had changed the fluid.

The best you can do is find the best indy mechanic in the area for her. This has heartbreak and family drama written all over it. Do you want to hear "about the time you messed with the trans and the belt snapped the next week" for the rest of your aunt's life? Cause this is basically the path you are going down if she is complaining about replacing hoses.

Buy some more ammo, range time and a nice bbq meal instead of the trans fluid.

Option 2 is to do it without telling her. If it works, whatever. If it doesn't then you would have be as dishonest as possible and tell her the car is a big POS.

Last edited:
Jumping in and out of gear is a classic ford "range switch" (neutral safety switch) issue.

It's a potentiometer, and has a preset reading for "drive" and one for "neutral". If the ohms are somewhere in the middle, it gets confused.

Originally Posted By: someguy
Man you just don't give up, my advice again is to leave her car alone. At 130K the car is also overdue for timing belt, plugs, wires, fuel filter and who knows what else.

Since you just wont quit at least make sure you got the Mercon V fluid, the universal Mercon/Dextron stuff wont work. You can use the leftover MerconV in power steering too.

That's not necessarily true. In some cars, maybe. I use MaxLife ATF, aka a "universal" ATF fluid, and it works great in my transmission. Worked great in my last car too. I've also used Amsoil ATF, another "universal" ATF fluid, and it also worked very well. Some cars/transmissions are pickier than others.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Jumping in and out of gear is a classic ford "range switch" (neutral safety switch) issue.

It's a potentiometer, and has a preset reading for "drive" and one for "neutral". If the ohms are somewhere in the middle, it gets confused.

Good point!

And while I think the fluid needs to be changed anyway (as per the experience with ours) if the fluid doesn't fix it, I'm sure that will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back