How old’s your longest battery?

I am getting ready to replace my camper van’s battery. It is from 2012. Surprisingly it still starts my car right up from a cold start. I only used a battery tender on it one season. Every other off season, I simply disconnect the battery. In all its life, I never had a dead battery issue.

I am very impressed a car battery can last that long.

What’s the oldest car battery you have had?

A little over 10 years on the Duralast Gold in my Tacoma. Still started my truck this past winter at -20°F.

Kurtatron, I'm guessing the OEM battery is lower CCA capacity vs most replacement batteries you'll see, thus having thicker plate construction which has helped it live a long happy life. If the factory equipped it with a 1000 CCA Loch Ness Monster battery, it would have been replaced already.

The battery (capacitor) in one of my solar powered watches is about 20 years old and still ticking away.

1624717228463.jpg

Our Previa OE battery lasted over 10 years, but the replacements didn’t… it was a Panasonic battery.

Current longest is an Oe group 49 in my 1981 MB 240D, which is from 2007 IIRC.
Key for longevity is minimal parasitic draw, and keeping them topped up.

I am getting ready to replace my camper van’s battery. It is from 2012. Surprisingly it still starts my car right up from a cold start. I only used a battery tender on it one season. Every other off season, I simply disconnect the battery. In all its life, I never had a dead battery issue.

12 years in F150 and still starting fine

I only get 3-4 years from automotive batteries before I wind up replacing them. I don't do any kind of battery maintenance though, I just run them until the first sign they might give me trouble. Usually it's because I'll notice slow cranking.

The last one in my Explorer was less than a year, but it was an "economy" battery that I think had lower than the recommended CCA for my vehicle's options to begin with. I just threw it in when I was still assessing its condition just after buying it. I fried the alternator, which was probably on its last legs anyway, while washing the engine. The battery seemed weak after that, so I bought a battery with more than enough CCA and all is well now.

It gets pretty hot in the summer here, and it gets below freezing plenty in the winter, so batteries get a good workout in this climate.

I just (last week) replaced the original factory battery that came with my 2011 Camry. Based on the build date of the car, the battery was 11 years old. The only reason I replaced it was because I'm leaving Monday on a long road trip and didn't want to push my luck any further ... but I was sure tempted ...

I am very impressed that the battery lasted that long.

I got 45 months out of a $48.88 Walmart ValuePower in my Camry, which is amazing for Phoenix temps.

My great aunt and uncle have a 98' Plymouth Breeze, the last battery I replaced at 8 years old. And it sits for a minimum 7 months a year while they're in Europe. Didn't used to get charged either it would just sit. Now I charge it every 6 weeks or so.

Back