How often do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
I won't let it go longer than 15k, usually not even that long. I mean, they're like $8, I make up all that money and then some in gas savings.

How do you determine what your savings are?
dunno.gif

I could use some basic math, but generally I let the computer keep track of distance traveled and average mpg. Even if my gains are slight, it adds up over the many tankfuls that I am running a cleaner filter over leaving in the dirty one even longer. Unless you're paying a **** of a lot less than I am for gasoline.

2004 Honda CR-V and I usually change it at 15K intervals. So far it hasn't been too overly dirty, and I agree in that it's cheap insurance on the air quality coming into the engine.

I was watching the tube yesterday and saw a oil tip from Castrol. They were saying to change the air filter every 10,000 mile or 3rd oil change (Castrol says every 3000/3 months OCI).

Local radio ads for parts stores featuring Castol as advocatin you just got to cahnge your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months.

They sure are flooding the air waves with propoganda to get the customer to buy more or thier product. I am sitting here listening to the John Boy and Billie Big Show and just about every break, this local AutoValue runs.

I believe almost all of you are changing your filter to often. I have been doing UOA on my Miata and the filter is most efficient at stopping dirt after about 20,000 miles. At 30,000 miles it looks dirty but my gas milage has not fallen much maybe 1 mpg. Silicon at 6000 miles of 15. Silicon at 15,000 of 8. Silicon at 30,000 of 5. I believe I will see a falling gas milage about now so 30,000 seems like the best change interval.

Between 25-30K miles. I just looked at mine after 20K miles and it's hardly dirty and the intake tube passed the filter is clean. I'm using a Napa Gold...'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Used to change it every 9-12K while living in the desert; have switched to 12K here in Colorado the last 4 yrs.

But now, after reading this site, will go to 20-30K and see how it looks - this truck does see a lot of dusty roads, however.

I use Napa Gold

I changed mine last night. 16,980. It was nasty and wet. I run OE, I have had others still look good at 50K. My entire trip to work and back is sand medians and construction - lots of dust when it is dry, lots of mud when it is wet.

I probably change to soon- annually or 10k. They really get dirty soon here in Los Angeles with all the star dust and dark celestial matter.

I like the AC Delco and Napa Gold air filter lines. Napa looks the best.

Bowser

quote:

Originally posted by Bowser:
I probably change to soon- annually or 10k. They really get dirty soon here in Los Angeles with all the star dust and dark celestial matter.

You're changing way too soon. Especially for LA.

Mine never seems to get dirty. I have 100,000 miles on my car and have changed it once. Maybe I'll change it again just to change it.

I thinks it depends on the vechicle.
Our F550 with 7.3l powerstroke we change every 5K due to the filter sucking air right out of the fender area.(extremely dirty in 5k!!) My 96' GMC 4.3L can go 75k.
My new Ford.. the verdict is still out. Will probably change it at 25K along with fuel filter just to be safe.

quote:

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:
Our F550 with 7.3l powerstroke we change every 5K due to the filter sucking air right out of the fender area.(extremely dirty in 5k!!)

What are the factory change intervals for that vehicle?
Are sure the truck is not missing certain parts-covers in the fender region? It shouldnt be the dirtiest area under the hood...

I left my K&N in for 2 years, 40k. Planning on the same with paper, except I added a layer of drywall mesh to the inside. I plan on tearing off the mesh and banging/vacing the filter clean at 1 year and reusing it for another year w/o the mesh. Pretty scientific, eh? My filter is $15, btw. It's pretty big w/ high capacity. Saw a Cavalier filter, it was 1/5 the size.

I average about every 20,000 to 25,000 but I check it every few months and tap out the bugs on the accords.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:
Our F550 with 7.3l powerstroke we change every 5K due to the filter sucking air right out of the fender area.(extremely dirty in 5k!!)

What are the factory change intervals for that vehicle?
Are sure the truck is not missing certain parts-covers in the fender region? It shouldnt be the dirtiest area under the hood...

When I hear "sucking air right out of the fender area" I tend to think some sort of fenderwell intake, with a relatively exposed filter. If that is indeed the case, he's going to be changing it fairly often. A cover can protect it from a lot of things, but you still need to pull air in. It will certainly keep you from sucking a rock into your engine, but if you kick up a lot of dust and small debris, I'd rather the filter gets dirty rather than let it in.

My dad's 03 Nissan sentra is still on factory filter at 65k miles. probably will change out soon
I checked my air filter on my 92 mirage at 30k miles, not dirty at all. 96 sunfire, I changed air filter after 30k miles and wear metals came down by 3-4 ppm but I probably could have kept the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back