How often do you change rear diff fluid

Much older vehicle, but IIRC my S-10 ZR2 manual said that for the LSD to do it at 7500 miles then no recommendation unless there was an issue.
I like the idea of changing out the Factory Fill and metal shavings like the manual suggests and then again at 30k..... then every 50k under normal driving conditions.

Whenever Acura maintenance reminder comes on in our SH-AWD vehicles. I think I have done three changes in 100K miles. Usually it's not dirty at all coming out and not much metal debris on the drain plug magnet. Very easy to do at home DIY and costs less than $50 in OEM fluids and crush washers.
I do my Acura MDX diff every 10-15k. It's easy and Eneos makes DPSF fluid. 10 bucks a qt. I do the transfer case at 30k with RL 75/90 and every 15k on trans with RL D6. Fluids are cheap to repair cost

I have gone 30k with no issues on my 2008 Jeep but mostly go 15k because it has drain plugs on the diffs and is easy. I do 15k on the 18 and 21 Jeeps. I run 75w140 synthetic in both ends because that's what Dana recommends. I've run Mobil 1 for the longer distances but also Supertech and Valvoline. I like Valvoline lately because it comes in bags.
Redline is far superior but pricey

I just changed the OE rear differential fluid on my daughter's 21' Mazda CX-30 at 25300 miles....it looked very clean. I used RP Maxlife 75w90. There was a little fuzz on the magnet so I cleaned it up. I'll probably go 40 or 50k on this fill.
Yes, it's called Royal Purple Max Gear 75w-90 and is one of the few fluids to meet the Mazda spec requirements, which are unique. While almost all Hypoid gear oil is GL5 rated, the Mazda calls for GL4 Hypoid and using GL5 in gear boxes that call for GL4 can be harsh and damage the softer metals used in GL4 gearboxes... The RP not only says it is for GL4 and GL5 ("GL4+), they specifically make sure to mention it is safe for and includes the additives needed for hypoid gears. I put it in the transfer case and rear diff of my 22 Mazda 3 AWD turbo, which has a more rear active software than the '21 CX-30 and it made a HUGE difference!

I do mine every 75-80k miles (8-9 years) with full synthetic 75w90. Open differential and 90% light usage.

Back