How much time does synthetic oil last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question might not seem appropriate here, but I need a quick answer and I know the members here know their stuff. I’m posting in the most active thread.

I did my last oil change (mobil 1) on my motorcycle about a year ago and have put maybe 100 miles on it since. My car is in the shop and I need to make an important meeting tomorrow about 100 miles away. I would normally change my oil after so much time, but it’s such a hassle at the moment because I have other things to do.

In this case, I think it doesn’t matter if it’s a motorcycle or a car – the question is how much time synthetic lasts before it breaks down. Should I just change the oil to be safe? Am I risking a major breakdown in rush-hour traffic? Or will I be fine for this short trip?

Sorry if this seems idiotic in this thread. I’ll have dinner now.

Two years. Just to make you feel good and make your meeting.

Seriously 1 year and 100 miles is no problem. If you don't make it, it won't be because of the oil!

There was a UOA on a Porsche 911 where the synthetic oil was in the vehicle for 5 years -- UOA came back fine. Time is not really a factor -- service factor is.

If anything at that rate, I would want to give it a good run before changing it out, to wash out the nasties, then change it.

So enjoy (or at least try) to enjoy your trip, and change it after you get back.

Thanks for the quick reply - I was just going to add that I live in Southern California and weather conditions are quite optimal for such things - I appreciate it.

I just keep hearing my Dad warning me in my head.

Greetings,
If I may, I'd like to expand upon the question. I've been reading posts for awhile. I have no background in petroleum chemistry. This is my first post.

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 liter v-6. It has about 80,000 miles on it. I've been running Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 along with an Amsoil EA oil filter. Air filter is standard paper. For severe service, Amsoil says to change the oil and filter at 17,500 miles or one year. We put about 20,000 miles per year on the van so I simply change the oil & filter every 15,000 miles. Most of the participants on this board advise changing fluid & filter much more often. This leads me to believe that someone is incorrect. Is it Amsoil or many of the board posters? Thank you. Mark Shuell.

Without seeing any UOAs, it is difficult to say for sure. But Amsoil is a fine oil and I imagine you are fine with your OCI. The Chrysler 3.3's are pretty easy on oil.

welcome.gif

Quote:

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 liter v-6. It has about 80,000 miles on it. I've been running Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 along with an Amsoil EA oil filter. Air filter is standard paper. For severe service, Amsoil says to change the oil and filter at 17,500 miles or one year. We put about 20,000 miles per year on the van so I simply change the oil & filter every 15,000 miles. Most of the participants on this board advise changing fluid & filter much more often. This leads me to believe that someone is incorrect. Is it Amsoil or many of the board posters? Thank you. Mark Shuell.

Indeed a UOA is most helpful to see that you don’t have any underlying engine problem.

15K under a year shouldn’t be a huge problem – AND neither Amsoil or the many casual posters who say “change early and often” are wrong per se. I wish it were that easy. Amsoil says “up to” and what the posters are saying basically “nothing is ideal”. This IMHO is were a knowledgeable Amsoil dealer kicks in. Knowing the condition of the vehicle, the history of the engine series, climate, previous oil used, driving style, mpg, etc.... in combo with a UOA or series of UOA’s will give you a recommended OCI.

I could very well recommend a 10-15K OCI, or change every 6 months, with a different Amsoil motor oil. But again without details, this would be at best and educated guess.

Thanks,

Paul Seminara
Amsoil Dealer #515729

Quote:

My question might not seem appropriate here, but I need a quick answer and I know the members here know their stuff. I’m posting in the most active thread.

I did my last oil change (mobil 1) on my motorcycle about a year ago and have put maybe 100 miles on it since. My car is in the shop and I need to make an important meeting tomorrow about 100 miles away. I would normally change my oil after so much time, but it’s such a hassle at the moment because I have other things to do.

In this case, I think it doesn’t matter if it’s a motorcycle or a car – the question is how much time synthetic lasts before it breaks down. Should I just change the oil to be safe? Am I risking a major breakdown in rush-hour traffic? Or will I be fine for this short trip?

Sorry if this seems idiotic in this thread. I’ll have dinner now.

How long does synthetic last?

Well, lets see I just did an oil change last weekend and I drained M1 5w-20 full syn at around 5k. My folks commented on how it wasn't dark dark black like their oil changes are when they do theirs at around 7500 miles.(they use full syn on their late 80s Camry) I also felt the oil (obviously) as I am draining it out myself (my first DIY OCI; only way to do it it!) and it didn't feel completed depleted as how for example, the ATF felt when I drained it out at ~31k nor did it feel completely "dry" to the touch like the ATF and how the motor oil I used to drain out of my Integra when I had it and never tracked the miles and did it when 'it felt like a loooong time'.(many months; miles?)

Bottom line is synthetics probably only give you longer drain intervals as they say and not much else. This blend is working its tail off, On the other hand at around 2 bucks a qt versus $6-ish for the M1. I bet when I do my 2nd DIY OCI, the Blend will be just as useful at my ~5k MMS/OLM dictated OCIs as the M1. Goodbye Big Oil, Exxon Mobil!

To answer your question, I drained this M! full syn at 5k and it could have probably gone 7500 or longer (UOA backed) but what's the point if it doesn't perform well in my Honda that apparently loves loves thin oil (thankyou CAFE and 5w-20!(thinner brands))

Hello,
My car did service 3 years ago (Jan, 2011), and I didn't change oil from there, but I made only 12.000Km. I made like 2000km in last two years, and very little after service alarm showed up.
Now I have to make like 1000 Km, and have no time to go for service before leaving. I read suggestions are to change oil at 1 year or maximum 3. May it be a problem to go with a 3-years old oil?
Car is Porsche Carrera S 997 38.000Km, oil is Mobil 1
Thank you very much,
Giuseppe

Oil has no shelf life. If you get it up to temperature long enough it will burn any moisture off. All this is assuming you have no mechanical issues. Go by miles and hours or fuel consumption not time.

Someone posted a used oil analysis not long ago and blackstone left a comment that oil don't have a shelf life.
So that tells me that an oils time in the sump isn't an issue,miles and hours are.
So personally I don't sweat time in the sump anymore. Miles and hours matter,not how long its sitting,inactive.

Hello,

I found the time do do the maintenance check before leaving.
I am back and wanted to thank you all for your kind answers.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back