how much snow till you don't go out?

Seattle and Portland are a joke.
snow.jpg

14" NOW. 12°F. Hands got real cold.

Shoveled. Came in had a pork sammie and started day drinking.

A good day to stay home. Have you looked at a traffic map? Yellow and red lines from near the Canadian border down to south of Olympia but I’ll bet the slowdown is all the way down to Oregon.

My Touareg can get me through just about anything NC could throw at me but I ain't going out in the white stuff unless my aircraft is broke broke.

People lose their minds at any precipitation around here. Hazards and 45mph in the rain type insanity.

Me: Whoa! I can't see the pavement - there must be at least a half-inch out there. Let's stay inside. :oops:

Wife: Whoa! There's at least a half-foot or so! Let's jump in the car and drive around and see what's going on! :rolleyes:

0.5 feet, Meh!
1.0 foot - slow down to 65.
1.5 feet - slow down to 45.
2..0 feet - slow down t0 35,
2.5 feet - put another two bags of gravel and sand in the back and slow down to 30,
3 feet - slow down to 20 and go coyote hunting! 😁

Die hard skier who drives through anything. My limit is ice never inches or feet of snow. Ice I don’t bother unless i need to slot threw to get to snow to ski on.

I usually travel in snow when they highly recommend not to because less people are out and travel is quicker.

Doesn't take a whole lot to shut the entire state down here. Of course, the idiots and their 4WD's come out and think they are invincible. Fun driving past them in a FWD car while they're stuck in a ditch. Unfortunately, I don't get snow days, so lots of snow just makes it harder for me to get to work and get the HMMWV to go and fetch my employees that can't make it in. Haven't had to do that yet, and I don't suspect we will any time soon, but that's why we keep two of them here fueled and charged up ready to go.

If it's a day off, it wouldn't take much for me to build a fire and sit inside staring at it all day, not that I couldn't go out, but it's not worth the effort and the risk of getting plowed by some moron that grew up in the south and doesn't have a clue how to drive in the snow.

On my back roads I found in untracked powder it only takes ~9-10" of snow to start blowing up in front of the bumper and onto the windshield for a regular car with 6-7" of clearance at around 20mph. If I went a bit faster sometimes the snow just go around the sides of the car, but the odd drift would put snow on the windshield again.
I find though my limiting factor for maximum snow depth depends what roads I am going on. I won't start a trip on our multilane highways unless I know its going to be pretty clear roads as our truckers are just dumb, driving at their speed limiter on glare ice until one of them crashes and causes a pile up or a traffic jam. For just going to the local ski hill I'll drive in almost anything until the car won't go.

Back