How much "old" oil is left in the pan......

Status
Not open for further replies.
....when you change your oil?

Well, it seems like a lot of it! I drained my ARX infused Havoline yesterday in order to begin the rinsing phase of the treat. I removed the plug and the filter.....lowered the driver's side.....raised the passenger side (to tilt the engine on the side for better drain) and came inside the house for a break. After 45 mins to 1 hr, I replaced the plug, installed my pre-filled oil filter and installed the new oil. The F-Body LS1 takes 5.5 qts to bring the level to the very top of the crosshatched area, but I always put 6 qts, bringing the level at least 1/2 inch higher than the crosshatch. Well, just as always, I put 6 whole qts and the level just made it to the top of the crosshatch, which tells me up to a half quart of the old oil always remains in pan. I'm guessing the slow, but lenghty drain got rid of most of that used up oil.

whatcha think?

No matter how long you drain your oil, a typical pushrod V8 like the LS1 will leave behind at least a half quart of oil if not more, as a lot of it gets trapped in the heads and some of it gets trapped in the oil pump too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back