How much oil are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only vehicle I remember using oil was my '92 3.0 Ranger. It used a quart every 3K from the day I bought it new, but was bulletproof. My current vehicles do not use any oil between drains.

Does consumption really matter?

In most cases I think not. It doesn't seem to affect the Aerostar at 1 qt per 1300 miles. Only that I have to remember to top up now and then. No blue smoke. Engine runs great and has good power for the paricular engine. At least with the consumption I have reason to crack a bottle of oil now and then between oil changes.

TL with M1, Amsoil 5-30, and current ACD- no measurable oil consumption over 4,500 miles.

With the SSO 0-30, it was almost half a quart low in 1,500 miles. Could've been a fluke though. The car was checked the day before a long trip after a lot of around town driving and was checked low the day after a long trip. Could've been condensation burning off???

GN with cheap rebuild used a quart every 2K miles but that was shared between valve guides, rear main leak, valvecover breathers dripping, and turbo seal going.

New motor with new turbo, good heads, and Total Seal rings consumes no measurable amount and the oil stays clean much, much longer. I should add that the OCI for the GN is up to 1K with the new motor so it better not show any consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Down here, 1qt in 3000 miles (now I'm starting to talk U.S. weighs an measures) would be time to do a valve stem seal job. We wouldn't expect to get to that until 130,000 miles at least.

I read on here that 1Qt/3000 miles is considered "normal" by the car manufacturers.

If that's the case then you are "normal high" by Oz standards, and "normal", to "normal low" by U.S. vehicle manufacturer standards.

Sounds normal to me.
Yeah, I probably do need to redo the valve seals on this engine. The PO used to run OCIs out to 8k or 9k mi (conventional oil) 'cuz she didn't care about the car. She also didn't check the oil level very often. I bought the car with 113k mi on it & did 3k mi OCIs until I switched over to syn at 120k mi. At that time, I don't remember ever adding oil to it during such a short interval. But then again, I wasn't as diligent then (9 yrs ago) as I am now. As I mentioned, if I stay off the highway I only need to add about 1 qt in 10k mi.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Does consumption really matter? ...
Well, only for the purposes of my question, I guess.

My car is over 18 yrs old & now has more than 225,000 miles on the original drivetrain. My wife's Saab 9³ turbo is much newer (1999) & has just over 96,000 miles on it. It holds 4.2 qts & doesn't need any oil during a 1 yr/10,000 mile OCI. That brings it up to 8.4 qts every 20,000 miles. Still more than the 8.1 qts I used during my OCI.

I'm seeing a lot of 5k mi OCIs in the replies, which is better than a majority of 3k mi answers I was expecting to see. Of course, how much oil each car holds & how often it gets changed makes a huge difference in the real quantity of oil we all use.

I use no oil, with any type or weight.
I have had the car since new, and being a mechanic, have treated it very well. But a lot of cars don't use oil like they once did. A big reason is that they engines are a LOT smaller, and that alone is a huge benefit. They are also made to closer specs.
I sometimes wish that I DID use some oil, as it would indicate a bit better top end oiling. I use a little 2 stroke oil in the gas, instead.

My truck doesn't burn any oil, motor oil that is, since it is a oil burner by nature. But in 20k I tend to use 10 quarts or less for bypass filter changes. During some heavy towing I can use some oil, up to a quart, mostly due to blowing out the crankcase breather.

My 92 Dodge Spirit with the 2.5 uses a lot of oil, almost as much as the Geo Metro mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't think I'm using a quart every 200 miles, but it's not too far off that. I know it's leaking it somewhere but I just don't see where.

Well, I just bought a new vehicle( 2008 model )on Tuesday so it better not have used any oil yet.
LOL.gif

I have to say I have never had any vehicle I have purchased new use a drop of oil on me while owning it. Seriously, not a drop. That would be 9 new vehicles( all trucks - 7 Dodge and 2 Chevy )since 1988. Mileage varied from approx 20K to 55K( I don't keep them much longer than 2.5 to 3 years - 4 max ).

I run Royal Purple synthetic and change my oil every 5K. Now used vehicles I have owned is a different issue and some have used oil and some haven't. None of my new ones have however as stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2002 F-150, 4.6 and my wife's 2005 Explorer 4.6 don't use any oil in their 5,000 OCI's. We both use Motorcraft 5W-20. My 1996 Ford Contour 2.0L Zetec 4 ONLY used oil when I was using Mobil I 5W-30, around 1 1/2 quarts in 5,000 miles. I've been using Schaeffer's Supreme Blend 5W-30 and haven't used any noticeable oil in the 5,000 mile OCI's. My old 1989 F-150 with the 4.9 6 used 2 quarts every 3,000 miles from day one, new truck. Most of it was from a rear main seal leak from day one. The Ford dealer and the regional Ford rep said "they all do that" give it time to "seal" Once 12,000 miles rolled around and the warranty expired they then said you need a new rear main seal at your own expense
mad.gif
! Younger and stupid at that time but much older and smarter now
LOL.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back