How much $ for a graduation present these days?

I dont mean ot be a grinch, but...
Highschool graduation isnt really a terribly big accomplishment.
Dont see the point of any gifts at all.

I didnt get any and I dont know anyone who did among my family+peers.
No College graduation gifts either and I also dont know anyone among my peers who got anything like that.

Maybe some household goods and/or grocery store giftcards could be gifted, IF she goes off to a) a university and b) its out of town.
Follow that path is sad . Milestones in life is worth celebrating it makes people feel loved and important. I grew up with no milestone celebration and realized it's wrong that my parents did this. I broke the cycle and celebrate with my kids all our milestones as a family.

I dont mean ot be a grinch, but...
Highschool graduation isnt really a terribly big accomplishment.
Dont see the point of any gifts at all.

I didnt get any and I dont know anyone who did among my family+peers.
No College graduation gifts either and I also dont know anyone among my peers who got anything like that.

Maybe some household goods and/or grocery store giftcards could be gifted, IF she goes off to a) a university and b) its out of town.
I like you're thinking. The most memorable thing I got at college graduation was a framed quote that said something to the effect of "what you have learned is the only thing that can't be taken away from you" the money is gone and the class ring is in a box but that quote I alway remember.
I told my one kid he could have my s2000 if he finishes medical school. We'll see....

*Do as much as you want to do(which it sounds like you do)
*Do as much as you can afford(which it sounds like you can)
And, as not to make others feel as though they didn't give enough compared to you...
*Do it privately
*Make sure she has what she needs to move on(going to college etc.)

You've been a wonderful Grandparent.
General reply but use the great advice in the quoted message here.

It ain’t your fault what others do for their grandkids and in this case your granddaughter. It is completely your responsibility and would be completely your fault if you are perceived as cheap.

Kids graduate from HS once. If she doesn’t have a car and need a car, then you should give her one from your stable; something around 10 years old with less than 150k miles and had been well maintained would be ideal. Don’t go buy a used car for a few thousands as it can be a headache and your effort will be remembered as a disaster. Just make sure other people aren’t getting her a car too. If she already has a car and you know a lot about working on cars (not just reading bob’s and watching youtube) then give it a tuneup and replace brakes if needed.

She already has a free ride for college and no tuition bills.

Trust me, her Mom and Dad will have NO problem, if I give her more than they do! They pay her every day expenses, so mine is just a bonus. LOL

She has a 2005 Ford Expedition with probably 150,000 miles? My 2018 Subaru Forester has 60,000. Has been very well maintained. All fluid changes, brake fluid and all done per owners manual. Just got new spark plugs too per manual. Also new battery, just because I no longer trusted a 5 year old battery

She does not know it yet, only her Mom. We are swapping vehicles this fall, as she moves to college. I will be driving her 2005 Ford. I really don't drive anymore except an occasional in town trip. Don't trust myself driving anymore. The old Ford will do that fine for me.
Good for you. I posted earlier before seeing this.

That is a great gift right there. Kids shouldn’t be driving a giant Expedition as it will likely be a party bus for friends.

Just make sure her future Subaru won’t have the head gasket problem. A fresh battery before she heads out will last her past graduation.

Congrats. Be nice if all decent American citizen kids get free college instesd of feeding ukraine and venzi and the rest of world parasites, rich and poor.

My parents were able to and got my kids new laptops for college when they graduated high school. We purchased them though the college as a deal because they included a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty on them while enrolled in school.

For my kids and my nephews, my dad gave them all the same offer while in high school. He would match any money they made for the years (up to $5,500 total) but his money had to be invested in a Roth IRA in their name. He wanted them to learn and see the the value of even small investing and letting it ride. They could keep and use the money they earned. Since then both of my kids have put at least $1k per year into those accounts.

Before my dad passed he gave all 4 grandkids $10k. My kids invested most of it and paid for some other school stuff. I'm not sure what my nephews (sisters 2 kids) did with theirs.

As college graduation we got my son a Colt Python, my daughter will get some version she likes. Currently that will be a NIB King Cobra that I got because the Python's were not available until a week before graduation. I was on 3 waiting lists, King Cobra would have been the consolation version.

Both my kids have older, higher mileage, but what I consider reliable vehicles. They get them to work and school and they are happy and appreciative. I take care of maintenance on them and fill them up when ever they are home.

My mom got my son a new Macbook, I-pad and accessories when he graduated college and started PA school. They all sync/link so he can study in between on Ipad, take tests with laptop etc.

Daughter will be going to grad school next year for Occupational Therapy at same college she is in now. We are paying for her spring break trip as part of graduation present.

I'm very fortunate that my parents were able to help my sister and I. We got some scholarships for school and my parents covered the rest. We worked when home, saved it for money to live on at school, drove older cars. They also took us and our spouses on family vacations because they knew we didn't have enough funds starting out. They continued that with the grandkids. They wanted to make sure everyone had the family experiences and memories. They would tell us, plan vacation for X week next year. Dad planned and setup accordingly. He was retired for 23 years before he passed. Mom gets his work pension, military pension, social security and her own social security from Germany (born/raised/worked) there until she married dad and moved to USA. At 87 she is comfortable, not worried about making ends meet. She has moved most of her assets and house to an irrevocable trust with my sister and I as trustees.

She also sends money a couple times per year to her sister to help her.

@Jdeere562 - keep helping as best you think, you are doing a great job. If you can do vacations as a family, the memories will always be there. Setup an investment account like Roth IRA with her and help her understand it. Let her pick the funds she researches. My dad was big on just doing a lot of S&P things but had a lot invested in Fidelity Growth and some individual dividend re-investment stocks. Keep it going with the market and leave it long term. My kids are shocked at how much their stuff has grown over the years. As long as they earn money, you can fund that IRA up to that amount or the yearly limit if they earn more than that. With a Roth she could always touch the principle if needed for an emergency (not that you want her to and explain that).

Last edited:
Back