How much $ for a graduation present these days?

My Granddaughter graduates high school soon. I always spoil her all year long and am very generous. She is my only Grandchild and we have always been very close. Her Dad was in Kuwait when she was born with the military. Daughter was going to school to become an RN. I was babysitting her every day for years, since she was less than a month old. Taking her to school every day and feeding her breakfast first.

I have her on my car title now, "Mark or Hayley". So she gets the 2018 Subaru Forester as well. Also have her into my will for 10%. Son and Daughter get 45% each.

I just don't want to make the other Grandparents look cheap and over do them. Know what I mean?

Advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

if it were me I’d probably budget a couple hundred dollars or combine with others for one big one depending on what she could use. I’ve gone in on some fancy jackets, a nice dinner before but this’ll probably be very context/family-dependent.

*Do as much as you want to do(which it sounds like you do)
*Do as much as you can afford(which it sounds like you can)
And, as not to make others feel as though they didn't give enough compared to you...
*Do it privately
*Make sure she has what she needs to move on(going to college etc.)

You've been a wonderful Grandparent.

Last edited:
Sounds like almost the exact same situation my stepdaughter has with her grandad (well, except that her biological dad is a moron and not really much in the picture). He has been extremely generous with her, and between him and her deceased grandmother, she's not having to take as many loans to get through college, and her graduation present was a brand-new Honda Civic (Which promptly got flattened by a body falling off a 12th story balcony, but that's a whole other story). I don't think anyone else in the family thought any sort of way toward him. Everyone knows how big of a part he is of her life and she's not a 'spolied' kid, but she's always had a great support network.

Be different if she were a little brat, but she's a really good kid and works hard, knowing that the 'gifts' she's gotten over the years are just that and not to be expected.

Sounds like almost the exact same situation my stepdaughter has with her grandad (well, except that her biological dad is a moron and not really much in the picture). He has been extremely generous with her, and between him and her deceased grandmother, she's not having to take as many loans to get through college, and her graduation present was a brand-new Honda Civic (Which promptly got flattened by a body falling off a 12th story balcony, but that's a whole other story). I don't think anyone else in the family thought any sort of way toward him. Everyone knows how big of a part he is of her life and she's not a 'spolied' kid, but she's always had a great support network.

Be different if she were a little brat, but she's a really good kid and works hard, knowing that the 'gifts' she's gotten over the years are just that and not to be expected.
So many words but no answer?
How much?

I like the $1k idea. I got a nice watch which I still have but nobody young uses watches anymore.

I’d probably go $1,000 if you can afford it. Look at it this way...some grandparents have 7-8 grandchildren they have to spend on, you only have one. Some grandparents might be dropping $1,500-$2,000 on high school graduation gifts before its all said and done.

I will warn you though...I have seen “the only grandchild” get spoiled from grandparents, and it doesn’t always end well.

Is she going to College? Does she have a reliable vehicle (if freshmen are allowed one)?

Id say based on what you've said minimum 500 bucks... if you can afford it.

Whatever you give, talk to her mom and dad first and okay it with them. You don't want to give a gift that has more value than what they give and it makes them look cheap.

I’d probably go $1,000 if you can afford it. Look at it this way...some grandparents have 7-8 grandchildren they have to spend on, you only have one. Some grandparents might be dropping $1,500-$2,000 on high school graduation gifts before its all said and done.

I will warn you though...I have seen “the only grandchild” get spoiled from grandparents, and it doesn’t always end well.
$1000 would be no problem on my end. I'm by no means wealthy, but comfortable in retirement. And yes, only having one Grandchild opens more doors for me, than those with multiples.

She is a wonderful kid. Not much time to get into trouble. She plays fast pitch softball and tennis. In the marching band, active in church and works in Hy-Vee pharmacy in her "spare" time. Good grades in school as well. Also has never done drugs and is still a virgin and vows to stay that way until marriage. Not many 17 year old kids can say that these days. I'm very proud of her.

She is also very fortunate for college. Gets a free ride due to her Father's military service and 2 tours in Kuwait. She will be attending school this fall in Lincoln, Ne. to be a pediatric nurse. (Following her Mom's footsteps) Already taking some online college courses. Has family to stay with in Lincoln while at school, so no dorm rooms to deal with.

Can you tell that I'm a very proud Grandpa?:) I have been very lucky to be involved as much as I have in her upbringing. Most Grandparents are not as lucky as myself!

In fact, we are getting together today. She is picking me up about 11:30. Driving to a neighboring high school about 12 miles from here. They are having a ham ball lunch as a fund raiser for their band. Let her Mom spend a little alone time with her hubby.;)

$1000 would be no problem on my end. I'm by no means wealthy, but comfortable in retirement. And yes, only having one Grandchild opens more doors for me, than those with multiples.

She is a wonderful kid. Not much time to get into trouble. She plays fast pitch softball and tennis. In the marching band, active in church and works in Hy-Vee pharmacy in her "spare" time. Good grades in school as well. Also has never done drugs and is still a virgin and vows to stay that way until marriage. Not many 17 year old kids can say that these days. I'm very proud of her.

She is also very fortunate for college. Gets a free ride due to her Father's military service and 2 tours in Kuwait. She will be attending school this fall in Lincoln, Ne. to be a pediatric nurse. (Following her Mom's footsteps) Already taking some online college courses. Has family to stay with in Lincoln while at school, so no dorm rooms to deal with.

Can you tell that I'm a very proud Grandpa?:) I have been very lucky to be involved as much as I have in her upbringing. Most Grandparents are not as lucky as myself!

In fact, we are getting together today. She is picking me up about 11:30. Driving to a neighboring high school about 12 miles from here. They are having a ham ball lunch as a fund raiser for their band. Let her Mom spend a little alone time with her hubby.;)
That’s awesome! She sounds like a great kid! You’re very lucky. Have a great day with her.

You have every reason to be a proud grandpa!

An overwhelming gift, as you guess, might cause some friction in the family. Make it a thousand in cash, tops.

That, and the Subaru as her first car, is extraordinarily generous. You’re giving her a car, for Pete’s sake.

Consider this: every kid needs a good laptop for college. A nice one runs $1,000 - $1,500. If she doesn’t have one, or if she has an older one, a new laptop makes a nice graduation present.

Each of my kids got a laptop for graduation. Budget was $1,500.

My grandma gave all her grandkids $100 cash when they graduated. It was awesome opening that envelope and reading the card with two new crisp $50 bills in there. My parents gave me a nice dinner and some tools that I asked for and a little bit of cash too. My aunt gave me $20. My other aunt gave me $50. It was a great day and I was happy with all of it. She would be a very lucky girl to receive $1,000 or something that adds up to that amount. It’s great to hear that you have a very close relationship with her. Thumbs up on giving her the Subaru too. Great cars.

Back