How much does gasoline clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask for a couple, or few, reasons. One of them *IS* directly/indirectly related to the Volvo situation. It appears VERY likely (based on all things considered) that the Coolant Temp Sensor has been telling the Volvo's computer that the engine was cold when it either was or wasn't for an extended period of time. I think that this *may* have finally resulted in the end result of the engine running SO rich, i.e. dumping SO much fuel into the engine, particularly on hot re-start, that it actually would NOT start up. (The code for the CTS is on. 2. I noticed temperature fluxuation on the coolant temp gauge. 3. We smelled gas. 4. I believe I smelled gas in the oil.) So, I suspect that there is a LOT of gasoline in the oil... so much so, that some smoke was coming out of the tailpipe! (Again, suspicions as to gasoline. Not thick heavy smoke, no.. but these last two trips.. 1. It did that while running 2. It would not start back up when fully warmed, ran fine and strong when it did and 3. I noticed increased fuel consumption, enough so that the gas gauge has ticked down almost a notch.)

This has me with some concerns:

1. I am inclined to change the oil, and begin A-RX. Just cheap, regular oil.. perhaps Supertech, although I do not get why the site recommends Shell Rotella T.. (No Synpower or Redline or Royal Purple with ARX though, that I know. Maybe Supertech 5W-30 is fine with it.) However, with all this gasoline that MAY be in there.. should I change the oil out first, THEN do A-RX? (Auto RX. I hear it cannot hurt anything!)

2. I know that gasoline is a cleaner - and also reduced engine lubrication, a la Seafoam in the crankcase. So, if all this gasoline is/was in the engine.. What did it clean, if anything? Some sludge? And was this cleaning beneficial?

It probably didn't do any cleaning of significance.

Also, don't waste the money on AutoRX right now dude, this is you throwing money you don't have at something you don't need.... AGAIN.

Do the timing belt if you just HAVE to spend money on something. As far as the oil goes, just run whatever it says in the owners manual.

i dont think that is the typical diagnosis/treatment for possible fuel pressure issues. look it up and enlighten yourself.

ARX isn't going to fix bent valves.
You putting the cart before the horse, you have a potential engine failure if this is an interference engine waiting to happen like a ticking bomb and your worried about putting ARX in the sump?
Change the timing belt.

GHT forget the oil and everything else right now and focus on your problem that you are still having. Apparently you took it to Sam's and he replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS). Yet this did not and he did not fix the problem. This would make me suspect of his shop and personally would make me never go back.

You said in one of your last posts that the coolant was brown. IF this is still the case and given you just replaced the CTS your first next step would be to get all the old coolant out now and replaced with good fresh coolant. Also the troubleshooting steps for the P0118 code can be found:
here
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118
or here
http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0118
These are the easy steps that Sams should have done and had you back on the road with no trouble. Instead he threw a part at it and forgot it.

After this you can focus on getting the T-belt replaced.

I'd forget AutoRx and focus on the big ticket items. Also on finding a shop that won't just throw parts at it and hope for the best. It will probably cost you more in the long run.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I'd forget AutoRx and focus on the big ticket items. Also on finding a shop that won't just throw parts at it and hope for the best. It will probably cost you more in the long run.

what he said +
befriend a good mechanic (check their parking lot for cars they work on) + neighbors/friends recommendations
[financial face on]
next time have some extra money (or at least a credit) ready
[financial face off]

and please change the t-belt (full disclosure: i changed mine at 67k/7years on a recommended 60k/5years)

ps
I applaud your technical development (skill-wise)
but the rest of your threads are better then going to movies.

Last edited:
Your thermostat is a purely mechanical device with no wire running to it. The motor and oil should have been reaching the correct operating temperature even with faulty sensors.

If your concerned with fuel diluting your oil, a spirited drive on the highway will get any fuel or water out of your oil.

You should skip the AutoRx.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: jmac
GHT forget the oil and everything else right now and focus on your problem that you are still having. Apparently you took it to Sam's and he replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS). Yet this did not and he did not fix the problem. This would make me suspect of his shop and personally would make me never go back.

You said in one of your last posts that the coolant was brown. IF this is still the case and given you just replaced the CTS your first next step would be to get all the old coolant out now and replaced with good fresh coolant. Also the troubleshooting steps for the P0118 code can be found:
here
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118
or here
http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0118
These are the easy steps that Sams should have done and had you back on the road with no trouble. Instead he threw a part at it and forgot it.

After this you can focus on getting the T-belt replaced.

I think this is absolutely the direction I am going to go. Also.. probably skipping A-RX. Timing belt needs done.. Question is WHERE!
confused.gif

I guess I will know "soon enough" if Sam and the CTS fixed the problem or not. If it did.. then, maybe, T-belt there?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Do the timing belt if you just HAVE to spend money on something. As far as the oil goes, just run whatever it says in the owners manual.

GearHead,
Please visit the deals section for oil and coolant deals/coupons.
ps
i had 10w30 + motor honey for a whole winter in chicago weather.
this happen 5 years ago. still have the car.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I ask for a couple, or few, reasons. One of them *IS* directly/indirectly related to the Volvo situation.

The entire thing seems related to your Volvo situation. Why not post it in the thread you already made about it not starting, since it is a continuation of that topic? It's like every other thread in the Mechanical and Auto General forums is either about more Volvo problems or which old used car to buy.

You don't need a new thread for each day of this saga. If what you are posting is related to a thread you already made, put it in that thread.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Where's Carnoobie been lately? Are they not seen at the same place at the same time?

Maybe on different forum
maybe he has a job
Maybe his sister kick him out of the Thanksgiving dinner and while needing to be comforted about he found a nice lady and he is enjoying being with the nice lady and having a job.
maybe he grew up and decided to have a life.
will only know if decides to updates us.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I ask for a couple, or few, reasons. One of them *IS* directly/indirectly related to the Volvo situation.

The entire thing seems related to your Volvo situation. Why not post it in the thread you already made about it not starting, since it is a continuation of that topic? It's like every other thread in the Mechanical and Auto General forums is either about more Volvo problems or which old used car to buy.
You don't need a new thread for each day of this saga. If what you are posting is related to a thread you already made, put it in that thread.

his learning steps may be higher or wider or diagonal than what you know.
I think he comes from an artistic background (something about singing in previous threads) and still needs to get into the rational thinking necessary for mechanics.
but he's trying (he's way)....
please let him be. it's a slow news day and this is better than news.

I continue to muse that this is some sort of wiring issue.

Idle the car and just wiggle, gently, various harnesses under the hood. See if anything changes in the sound of the engine.

Stick your voltmeter on the negative battery terminal then on a shiny fender screw and on the engine somewhere. Should be hardly any voltage between those spots.

When you said it ran better with the code reader, that connected computer ground and chassis ground. That should not make a difference, but if it does, bingo. Small stray voltages matter with sensor readings.

I'll go against the grain and say get some cheapo universal antifreeze from advance auto, with coupon, and change it out yourself. It will buy you time.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I think he comes from an artistic background (something about singing in previous threads) and still needs to get into the rational thinking necessary for mechanics.

Thank you.

I just went to Sam's. He is in receipt of the CTS (which I obtained....) - and I suggested disconnecting the battery.

I should go back down there. I think I will.

As to the grounds and cables.. I like eljefino's thinking, because there are NO other indicators of trouble!! (Just the running super rich.. which is attributed to CTS.)

And I have no idea who "carnoobie" is.. I live in the Boston, Mass area and I have no knowledge of whoever that is. Thank you.

Can we get the GHT/Volvo failtrain confined to one (extremely long) thread instead of ten new posts on the same subject a day?

To echo what others have said: CHANGE THE TIMING BELT AND ALL RELATED ANCILLARIES. DO IT YESTERDAY. Stop wasting another dime or erg on this car doing anything else until you have that done properly.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Thank you.

I just went to Sam's. He is in receipt of the CTS (which I obtained....) - and I suggested disconnecting the battery.

I should go back down there. I think I will.

As to the grounds and cables.. I like eljefino's thinking, because there are NO other indicators of trouble!! (Just the running super rich.. which is attributed to CTS.)

And I have no idea who "carnoobie" is.. I live in the Boston, Mass area and I have no knowledge of whoever that is. Thank you.

OK, I was under the impression that they had already swapped out the CTS and left you with a P0118 code still, apparently not the case. So it should not be too hard for him to sort that out with the basic diagnostics in those links I gave you. Will be interested in hearing what they do or say when you get it back.

Also interested in confirmation that you said the coolant was brown, if it still in this condition or if you can flush it out and refill or will have that done. Brown as in rusty brown? as even old, really bad, rusty coolant can cause the conditions you are having. Otherwise if it isn't the CTS or coolant it is in the wiring ( bad contact somewhere, faulty/intermittant ground, chafed wire) or worse case scenario, in the ECM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back