How Much Do You Tip Your Barber ?

I that bum who gets his hair cut very short late spring and then gets it weed-whacked and mowed the next Spring - unless there is a special event where I have to look well kempt. That happened this Fall; with a nieces wedding near Boston, so I asked for a Coach Belichick buzz bc that how my head is. I usually tip 5 dollars on a 15 dollar barber buzz. Not a biggie with that once a year whacking.

The one I went to up until I moved/relocated last year-he charged $12 and I gave him $15 total.

Current-charges $20, I give $25.

Pre-Covid I used to tip $5 on a $19 haircut that should have only cost $10 for the amount of time and effort involved.
Now, I tip $15 on a $21 haircut. Partly because since I retired I don't get my hair cut as often, and partly because the Covid restrictions were very hard on the small, independently owned shop where I get my hair cut and the owner still can't get as many customers in per day due to the requirements for sanitizing between each customer. So I'm trying to support the business more than just tip for a job well done and the extra few bucks are not a big deal.

Haven't been to a barber in a long time. My son cuts my hair so no tip from dad is expected. He isn't a professional barber but he does a fine job. Learned the craft while he was out at sea. The crew needs to be clean cut so he volunteered. He was good and after a couple of years he was just as competent as any barber on shore. When the ship returned from their patrol after chasing pirates and drug smugglers around the Caribbean the crew was inspection ready.

View attachment 78634

I have been cutting my own since retiring in 2007. #4 all over and #2 for sides, beard and back. Wife trims the back and the tip is included in what she spends every month.

Seeing these prices makes me glad I cut my own hair.
Sounds like I need to put $20 in my pocket every time I cut my hair.
I spent $20-$25 on a a set of Wahl clippers over 25 years ago.
Sure I have a stupid buzz cut, but I don't care how I look, and makes it easier to just not have to worry about how my hair looks.

I also have not bought shampoo or conditioner decades.

Makes me grateful that most of mine fell out. I can buzz whatever I have left pretty quickly.

I go to a hair school and the young women work really for free and pay for schooling. They have a bunch of work to do on my hair and I like to have it styled while there. So my bill is often 10 to 30 dollars after two to 2.5 hours of work. And I always tip 20 dollars. Most people tip 5 bucks ...and I get amazing service so I think its a good deal.
The desk folks are great and only steer me to the very best students.

I went to the barber today and a woman tipped the barber $7 for a $13 haircut. Then a man tipped another barber $9 for him and his two sons haircuts. How much do you tip your barber ?
I tip around 20%. My barber gets $20 for a hair cut and I usually tip $5-$7. It really depends what you think its worth though. I know just after the barber shops opened after covid, I was tipping my barber 50% because I knew that she was hurting and every year around Christmas time I tip her 100%.
Shes a great barber and I appreciate the work she does, so I want to show proper appreciation.

We just go to the chain places and whatever my mom leaves as a tip is what the person gets. Don’t think she has ever done more than $7 for the whole bill no matter how many of us get our haircut.

If she does a decent job (average), I'd tip $2. If she didn't do well and was trying to cut corners, nothing, and I won't come back.

15% of posted price rounded up a full dollar. But I have been doing my own for almost two years now. I have always wanted to cut my own and an incident at my last appointment made me take the plunge. My first self-cut was truly an eye-opening practice run.

I went to the barber today and a woman tipped the barber $7 for a $13 haircut. Then a man tipped another barber $9 for him and his two sons haircuts. How much do you tip your barber ?
I only tip if the person providing a service (any service) does something xtra or special if not I pay for the service as required and that's it. WHY should I tip?

Back