how much do you spend a year on oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flame suit on...

I change the oil in my 08 M5 every 5,000 miles. I drive about 12,000/yr. BMW pays for the third. An oil change kit (9 liters Castrol TWS 10w-60) costs $120 from the discount online dealers.

My wife has an 08 Infiniti QX56 that she drives about 17,000/yr of 80% city miles. I change the oil every 6,000 miles using Amsoil 5W-30 and 0W-30 for the winter. It takes 7 quarts. So about $70 an oil change.

M5 = $240/yr
QX56 = $210/yr

Total = $450/yr

While we are at it, might as well include the brake fluid changed annually, the gear oil and transmission oil changed every 30,000 miles, and the cooling system flushed at 30,000 miles for the M5 and 50,000 for the Infiniti.

Don't forget the Menzerna polish, Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and Dodo Juice wax...and all of the other products that go into maintaining the exterior of the cars...

But, they sure are a lot of fun to drive!

3 varied DD vehicles - twice a year oil changes at around $23-$45CDN
1 old snow plow truck (pickup with blade) probably once a year (I just got it)
1 motocross bike - every 5 hours it gets changed (l litre of oil)
atv and kids bikes twice a year but now that we are on an acreage they will get 10 times the use. They really need hour meters!!

The toys are dependent on free time and weather.

Probably 60 litres of oil and 12 filters of various types.

For 2 SUV's, a 1997 4Runner Limited & 2002 Sequoia Limited:
about $60 when I do a yearly OC on both.

No more than $90 a year if I do a second OC on 4Runner, the Sequoia only gets a yearly OC.

For this vehicle it has been 2 OC's a year. I don't drive as much since becoming ill and not working anymore. I don't use oil additives( Lucas, STP, Zmax, etc... ).

So an OC for me is...

7qts Royal Purple 5W-20( $6.50 p/qt ) = $45.50
Royal Purple Oil Filter = $14.99
Dealer Labor = $10.00
Total = $70.49 each or $140.98 p/year

Less than $200 a year using Shell Rotella Syn 5W40 and Purolator Pure One filters. The Jeep and Jetta get changed twice a year so that would be ~$120 in oil and ~$30 in filters. I change my own oil, so I don't have to pay somebody to do it for me.

Originally Posted By: ideliver
Flame suit on...

I change the oil in my 08 M5 every 5,000 miles. I drive about 12,000/yr. BMW pays for the third. An oil change kit (9 liters Castrol TWS 10w-60) costs $120 from the discount online dealers.

My wife has an 08 Infiniti QX56 that she drives about 17,000/yr of 80% city miles. I change the oil every 6,000 miles using Amsoil 5W-30 and 0W-30 for the winter. It takes 7 quarts. So about $70 an oil change.

M5 = $240/yr
QX56 = $210/yr

Total = $450/yr

While we are at it, might as well include the brake fluid changed annually, the gear oil and transmission oil changed every 30,000 miles, and the cooling system flushed at 30,000 miles for the M5 and 50,000 for the Infiniti.

Don't forget the Menzerna polish, Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and Dodo Juice wax...and all of the other products that go into maintaining the exterior of the cars...

But, they sure are a lot of fun to drive!

I don't think that's too bad. How's the menzerna polish? I'm about to buy a wolfgang kit and try there fuzion product.

Everyone should add the UOA costs

Hmm... not a whole lot.
For the Dakota(4 qt incl filter)- With the exception of 8 qts of PP, all the other oil in my Xw30 stash was bought for $1.50/qt or less about 4-5 yrs ago. There's one full-fledged Wix(~$5) on the shelf, one real Purolator Prem that's on the truck now(~$3), all my other oil filters cost $2 or less- including a full case of 12 NAPA Golds(Wix mfg) bought for $2/each, no tax. One oil change, ~$8.50 w/tax for oil & filter, do it myself, looks like it's gonna be about 2 1/2 or 3 oil changes per year- call it 3 changes, drop the tax, & make it $24/yr for the Dakota.

For the Crown Vic(6 qt incl filter)- The 5w20 I've bought for Mom's 08 Crown Vic was PYB on sale for $2/qt a little over a year ago, used Fred's Havoline filter for oil for winter oil, ~$9/oil for summer, $3 filter, plus $10-12/labor, twice a year.

Total, roughly $75/yr. Compared to gasoline, pretty doggone cheap!
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back