How much do you pay for a haircut?

I have learned how to cut my own hair quite well. It's hard to screw up using those numbered attachments to a hair clipper and using thinning sissors. I use a couple mirrors to finish up the back.

$25 with tip ($20 + $5).
$40 with $10 tip included.
He charges $14 and I flip him a $20.
$15.00 + a $5. 00 Tip.
$20 plus $5 tip.
$40 + $20 tip
$30 haircut and a $10 tip.
$18 + 5 tip.
Some of you are pretty big tippers. Great if you do it out of wanting to be generous and not thinking its an obligation. You do know that hair cutters get a regular wage? It's only waiters that are subject to an alternative minimum like $3 or $4 an hour.

I usually get my hair cut in central New Jersey when there. Its usually $23 plus $5 tip. That may reflect an Old Fogey discount, but I have a full head of hair.

Some of you are pretty big tippers. Great if you do it out of wanting to be generous and not thinking its an obligation. You do know that hair cutters get a regular wage? It's only waiters that are subject to an alternative minimum like $3 or $4 an hour.
The girl that does my hair is a one-woman show and she charges what she's worth. And then I tip her.

Here in grand rivers,KY its about $12 plus $3 tip. Cuts it really good and get local gossip updates
One cannot rule out the value of the old style barber shop experience. I take my barber seasonal gifts: home made maple syrup and apple cider. In my gray hair years, I have eased up the purse strings and appreciate the value of activities beyond the money aspect. Everyone has good/bad memories of kid haircuts. I remember getting one while on vacation in Kentucky, 10 years old. They called it a burr cut. WHAAAT??????? The time my mom was trimming my hair before my first middle school dance and I hear her say "oops!", resulting in a half dollar size bald spot on my head.

Last edited:
I put a 1.5 on my trimmer and do it myself every 2 weeks in the shower. I haven't paid for a haircut in years.

Been shaving my head for free since age 5. I have only ever once paid for a haircut, and that was when we moved to North Carolina for a brief stint, and our home goods were delayed for two weeks. I cut my hair every 7-10 days, and I felt like a shaggy dog. I think I paid around $30 for someone to shave my head to 1/16"...stupid, but worth it. Buy a pair of clippers, shave it off, and never look back ;-) I guess that means I paid for one haircut over about 40 years...

oh wait, I did pay for one in college...there was a cute girl that was going to the local cosmetology school, and I paid to have her cut my hair at her request. Guessing she didn't learn much, as it was just shaved as always :)

$20 or $25 including tip. During COVID I did it myself with some final touches by the wife, and now in the summer I'll cut it myself outside just to save some time.

$15.00 in Crestwood KY near Louisville...This includes hot shaving cream around the ears and back and shave with a straight razor...

Last edited:
I pay $24 for the haircut and give a $16 tip. There are only two places in town where I can get a haircut and I don't mind supporting a longtime owner. That being said, for the amount of time it takes to cut my hair if there was a Supercuts type of place in town that would do it for $10 that's about what I think it is really worth.

$25.00 tip included at a top notch shop. I am always satisfied however I do have to make an appointment. I have never been happy with a walk in type of business. The same lady cuts my hair every time and I am very satisfied with her work. I used to go to the walk in places and was never happy with the results. Some places are downright terrible at cutting hair. I have it cut every month. A buzz type cut is very easy to take care of and these cut rate places can do a great buzz cut because it takes zero talent. Just turn on the clipper and let er rip. I do not have a buzz cut therefore I prefer the same person cutting every time. My wife gets her hair done at the same establishment and we give a Christmas gift worth about $25.00 plus the usual tips. My wife pays a lot more for the high maintenance cuts with coloring and tints and dealership market adjustment hahahaha.

Last edited:
I pay $24 for the haircut and give a $16 tip. There are only two places in town where I can get a haircut and I don't mind supporting a longtime owner. That being said, for the amount of time it takes to cut my hair if there was a Supercuts type of place in town that would do it for $10 that's about what I think it is really worth.
Wow a $16 dollar tip? Is this a relative or is there a reason you are paying so much over the average tip? Do you tip $32 for a $48 dollar meal at a restaurant? A $16.00 tip appears to be over the top. :unsure:

Interesting topic. When I was in college, it cost $20. That's $54 today. Also, the "stylists" were extremely attractive, I felt it was part of the overall experience.

As late as 2014, I paid $6 at Great Clips during a grand opening. I never minded tipping a full $5 on a $6 cut. But one has to wonder, how in 2014 could anyone expect a qualified person, and a good cut, if all that is changing hands is $11?

So today, my son and I go to an old Italian barber shop in town, $20, and long wait. There is never a time when 5 or 6 are waiting for 3 barbers. None of them are particularly attractive like I remember in college, but after all these years, my son and I are there to get a good haircut! They use a straight razor for the back, and they take their time. lol

Back