How much did I overfill this 6F35

I drained and refilled in my new '10 Milan 6F35
After seeing the cooler lines were changed recently, I wanted to make sure the fluid and level was correct, but I think I made it worse 😟
I used 4oz short of 5 quarts, drained warm
Motorcraft Mercon LV was used
Got back, screaming hot off the expressway, AC on, ran it through all the gears, and checked SEVERAL times
PXL_20210620_225356343~2.jpg

The white line is where the reflection of the fluid ends
.5 overfull?
Did I manage to jamb an extra quart in?
Did I do any damage in a 30 or so mile highway run?

We have a Fusion with the same transmission and have done (3) drain-and-refills, each time getting 4 quarts out (and putting 4 back in). At least you have a dipstick and you checked it HOT. I'd try and get a little out. Does it have a level/check plug behind the driver's front wheel ? If so, get it hot again, remove that plug, and let it run out. When it stops or slows to a dribble, plug it. Verify with the dipstick.

I drain the 6F35 in my Escape cold and measure what comes out.....it's usually 4.25ish quarts....so I'm guessing you are about 1/2 quart overfilled.

I had a 2017 Escape with the same transmission. 4.5 quarts was what I put in. I drove it around to get it good and hot. I then pulled the inspection/fill plug on the side and let any excess drain out until there was a slow drizzle. I buttoned everything up and done.

I'll let it sit and cool down overnight
HD closed, so tomorrow I'll get some hard plastic tubing for my vacuum bleeder tool, then I can suck out through the dipstick
This unit doesn't have the drain/check plugs, there's only a drain on the bottom of the case, and the dipstick in the engine bay
I hope it's not damaged after driving it overfilled

I drain the 6F35 in my Escape cold and measure what comes out.....it's usually 4.25ish quarts....so I'm guessing you are about 1/2 quart overfilled.
The 2013 plus are that way, but the 2012 and older 6F35s have a dipstick and no a level plug.

It's a half pint overfilled since it usually is one pint from the top of the add mark to full mark.. There's no foaming or bubbling on the dipstick so I would just leave it be. That little bit won't hurt a thing.

PXL_20210623_200617845.jpg

I'm proud of this

Pulled out nearly a quart, give or take

So it's currently probably on the lower end of 4ish quarts

This time I'll test drive it, monitor trans temp with FORScan, and recheck

This time I'll test drive it, monitor trans temp with FORScan, and recheck
In my experience, these transmissions get up to full temperature (190-195º F, as I recall) in around 10 minutes so any drive in that range or longer should be good vs fiddling with a computer, FORScan, etc.

PXL_20210624_015250379.jpg

Apparently it's only 8oz from the bottom dot to the top dot, and it's still a hair over

But I took it for a good run, reset the adaptations and it shifts as nice as any other 6F35 I've driven with 103k on it

Overfill estimate was somewhere around 8-16oz

...why do I bother sometimes :confused:

But hey, if it blows up, I did the best I could (y)

The 2013 plus are that way, but the 2012 and older 6F35s have a dipstick and no a level plug.
Mine is a 2016 with the 2.5. I have 50K on it and just did the 3rd D&R (the first at 16K...the 2nd at 33K....and the last at 50K). The first time I drained it it was very brown*...less so the second and even less so the 3rd. I've been using Castrol Full Synthetic ATF which is approved for Mercon LV with a bottle of LG red each time. I plan on going further on this fill...probably 25 or 30K.

While changing the ATF is easy on this unit...I find it a PITA to get the cap back on the fill tube due to the location under the hoses...I actually dropped it this time and it took a while to find it by crawling underneath the car with a flashlight and looking upwards.

One peculiarity I find with my 6F35 is that if I try to move too soon after putting it in 'Reverse' it can make a 'bang'....it seems to have a couple of seconds (2 to 3) delay between placing it in 'R' and actually going into 'R'. As long as I wait those 2 or 3 seconds it's smooth as can be...

*PS: I know they say that the brown color doesn't matter but I prefer red all the same.

Last edited:
I find it a PITA to get the cap back on the fill tube due to the location under the hoses...
I can't do it myself. I have to get our son, who is younger, skinnier, and more flexible, and he crawls under and is able to reach up and get it re-inserted. I sometimes have to guide him but there's definitely more room from below and you don't have the hoses and wire looms in the way.

Reactions: pbm
I can't do it myself. I have to get our son, who is younger, skinnier, and more flexible, and he crawls under and is able to reach up and get it re-inserted. I sometimes have to guide him but there's definitely more room from below and you don't have the hoses and wire looms in the way.
Thanks Hall....I'll remember that for next time.

Back