Ford 6F35: What have we learned?

We have 2017 2.3 EB Explorer with the 6F35. Changing the ATF is easier than doing an engine oil and filter change. An 11 mm plug on the bottom of the transmission to drain and to fill is through the vent under the air filter duct. The vent is easy to get to. It has a large yellow cap that is pressed in and pulls out. The vent tube is tall enough and wide enough to easily use a transmission funnel to add the ATF. Your vent/fill tube looks like Ford is serious when they say the ATF is good for 150,000 miles :oops:. I drained the factory fill at 12,000 miles and it was extremely silvery, no pink at all. 10,000 miles later it was still but less silvery and grey, no pink. Again 10,000 miles later it was much less silvery and slightly pinkish. This is a heavy and fairly powerful vehicle that has a smaller car transmission that appears to stress the ATF. Since changing the ATF is so easy I'm trying to maintain a ~20,000 mile drain and fill routine to hopefully maintain a longer tranny life.
I hear different things about the difficulty of changing the ATF on Fords with this transmission. I'm 70, and not a DIYer. If I was convinced it was as easy as you say, I would be tempted to do it. But I see these videos about removing a wheel, some sight glass on the side you have to check the fluid level thru, and having the car itself perfectly level when you do it.

I've seen the fill tube under the hood, and it just doesn't seem that hard.

The stories here and elsewhere about dealers and independents refusing to do this service, or not unfounded. I nearly begged a Valvoline instant change store to do it, and maybe get some of the BITOG coveted Maxlife, but no go.

It's frustrating, because I'm on top of all other maintenance.

I only drive about 6,000 miles a year, rural area, no stop in go, moderate climate. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

2015 Fusion 64,000 miles. Thankfully, I was smart enough to avoid the Ecoboost.

I hear different things about the difficulty of changing the ATF on Fords with this transmission. I'm 70, and not a DIYer. If I was convinced it was as easy as you say, I would be tempted to do it. But I see these videos about removing a wheel, some sight glass on the side you have to check the fluid level thru, and having the car itself perfectly level when you do it.

I've seen the fill tube under the hood, and it just doesn't seem that hard.

The stories here and elsewhere about dealers and independents refusing to do this service, or not unfounded. I nearly begged a Valvoline instant change store to do it, and maybe get some of the BITOG coveted Maxlife, but no go.

It's frustrating, because I'm on top of all other maintenance.

I only drive about 6,000 miles a year, rural area, no stop in go, moderate climate. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

2015 Fusion 64,000 miles. Thankfully, I was smart enough to avoid the Ecoboost.
ford recommend fluid to be change at 150k you still got time and trust ford .😎🦅

In my 2017 Ford Fusion I replace the ATF every 30-35K with M1 LV HP fluid. The trans has 135k on it and it shifts great up and down. My grandson has a 2013 Fusion with 180K and it does have a notchy shift at times. We'll be changing it to the M1 ATF soon. Also a friend has a 2010 Fusion with 240K and it shifts quite well. I found the MC ATF got very dark, but the M1 stays pink through out the OCI.

In my 2017 Ford Fusion I replace the ATF every 30-35K with M1 LV HP fluid. The trans has 135k on it and it shifts great up and down. My grandson has a 2013 Fusion with 180K and it does have a notchy shift at times. We'll be changing it to the M1 ATF soon. Also a friend has a 2010 Fusion with 240K and it shifts quite well. I found the MC ATF got very dark, but the M1 stays pink through out the OCI.
Tig are you gonna use M1 LV HP ( Blue Label ) in your grandson 2013 fusion ? If so you don’t think that fluid is too thin in that high mileage vehicle?

My 6F35 acts strangely sometimes. Always has! No idea if the software has ever been updated.

In terms of fluid I’ve changed it with Maxlife when I bought the vehicle and once more with Amsoil Signature LV stuff. I think I’ll change it again soon. Will be doing some towing next week for my move.

Back