Fluid Recommendation for 2011 Fusion SE with 6F35

I just purchased a used 2011 Fusion SE with 109K miles. I believe is has the 6F35 6-speed automatic. I am planning to drain and fill the transmission fluid as part of my initial maintenance. For those with experience and knowledge of this vehicle and transmission, would you suggest using Motorcraft Mercon LV or is there something as suitable or better? I've used Valvoline MaxLife in vehicles before and see that it is recommended for use in applications that call for Mercon LV. Same with Castrol Transmax and the O'Reilly house brand, though I generally stay away from house brands when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance for your input!

Ford/Motorcraft licenses the formulation for Mercon LV so there are a few alternate suppliers that provide 100% compatible (identical ??) ATF. Walmart/Supertech has it, Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is licensed, Pennzoil has an ATF (but I've never seen Pennzoil ATF in any stores here) that's licensed, and so on....

Any of those are fine. If you're still under warranty, use something licensed. Even the cheapest licensed Mercon LV still carries official approval by Ford.

If you're out-of-warranty, even Maxlife will be good :)

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to try some Liqui Moly Top Tec 1800 which has the Ford Mercon LV approval. I like the Liqui Moly products and can get it for about the same cost as any of the other major brands.

Not knowing the full history of the vehicle and if the fluid has ever been done, I'll probably do an initial series of 3 drains and fills over a couple thousand miles and then space out the interval from there. That should pretty much replace all the fluid that's currently in there and then keep it maintained.

I’ve been using Maxlife in my son-in-law’s 2012 Fusion for about 8 years now, the car lives in hot Houston. It’s working fine and the fluid like a whole lot better after 3 years than did the factory fluid.

Not knowing the full history of the vehicle and if the fluid has ever been done, I'll probably do an initial series of 3 drains and fills over a couple thousand miles and then space out the interval from there.
Probably not necessary, to be honest, but can't hurt either.... Doing a single one now and then two more with subsequent oil changes or every other oil change will be good.

Mercon LV fluid gets dark almost right away so color is not an indicator of the fluid's quality.

Back