How much A/C R134a loss is normal?

I have a 06 Tucson and the mechanics had to recharge around 1/4 lb of R134a to the system. They said there were no leaks they could detect.

I thought that as it's a closed system, no refrigerant could escape over time.

Edit: According to my records, the last time the system was serviced, it was 2018. It looks like the condenser was replaced. So 4 years and a 1/4lb loss....

Last edited:
Actually in a good working system, you should not have to add freon to the system. If you do, there's technically a leak. However 1/4 pound in 15 years is not bad at all requiring service.

I completely resealed the entire system in 1997 on my 1987 Mercury. I have not had to add any R-12 since then. The A/C works perfectly.

Last edited:
One other thing that can contribute besides the mention things, chemical particle size/ molecular weight of the element in question.

R12 chemical particle size, I think is larger so it tents to leak less through the same opening!

What adds up with the condenser replacement?
Well if he says most systems lose around 1oz a year and the last time system was serviced was in 2018, that'd be 4oz.

Although, I guess it might have been leaking at the condenser. So, rather than replace the lost refrigerant from the leak, the mechanic only put back what was already there and sent it off rather than refilling the system all the way.

Actually in a good working system, you should not have to add freon to the system. If you do, there's technically a leak. However 1/4 pound in 15 years is not bad at all requiring service.

I completely resealed the entire system in 1997 on my 1987 Mercury. I have not had to add any R-12 since then. The A/C works perfectly.
R12 has larger whatever's than r 134a

A leak that small is almost impossible to detect. Pound a year couldn't hardly find it. System improved so must since the 90s and before hoses connections and compressor shaft seals. People used to add 2-3 lbs a year when system held 5-6 lbs now systems hold 1.5- 2.5 lbs.

Had the Mini refilled recently. About 50 percent loss in ten years.
Service guy told me it's just normal. AC was still working properly.

Back