How many years of oil do you keep?

Was at Costco yesterday. $5.00 instant rebate on M1 products.

Edit: I didn't buy any
55.gif

Last edited:
the expected lifetime of 1 vehicle.. since my mileage dropped its a 20 year stash at the moment but if my mileage goes up again its a 10 year supply...

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*For three vehicles I have enough for about 2.5 years worth of oil changes ... I tried to enter a 12- step program but was refused once the rehab facility found out I was a member of Bob Is The Oil Guy !

"My name is Chris, and I'm an oilchange-holic."
grin.gif

I used to stock up at least 2 oil changes. Then I sold a car and had 3 oil filters left with no car to use them on. Now I purchase for the next change the first sale I see afterwards.

One time I did sell a car, but replaced it with one with the same engine, so my filter stash was still good.

About a year worth of changes for 3 cars, where two get 3 OCs a year and the other 2 OCs - 8 jugs or so on hands at any given time, can vary between 5-10 jugs.

Originally Posted by svtrit
I used to stock up at least 2 oil changes. Then I sold a car and had 3 oil filters left with no car to use them on. Now I purchase for the next change the first sale I see afterwards.

One time I did sell a car, but replaced it with one with the same engine, so my filter stash was still good.

It is not hard to sell filters on craigslist or Facebook market place.
Only reason to stock up on filters is if you get a good deal, so if you have to sell them you can sell them for less than retail and not loose much if any money.
I would never have a stash of filters that I paid full price for. Closest I come to that is when I buy the cartridge filters for the Santa Fe, I can buy an OEM 4 pack for the price of 3. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, so having a few extra is not an issue.
Or just give the filters away with the car.

None. When it's time for a change I go and pick up oil and filter for that vehicle only. No room in the garage to store additional oils.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by svtrit

It is not hard to sell filters on craigslist or Facebook market place.
Only reason to stock up on filters is if you get a good deal, so if you have to sell them you can sell them for less than retail and not loose much if any money.
I would never have a stash of filters that I paid full price for. Closest I come to that is when I buy the cartridge filters for the Santa Fe, I can buy an OEM 4 pack for the price of 3. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, so having a few extra is not an issue.
Or just give the filters away with the car.

I wrote the vehicle/engine combo on the box and donated them to a local resale shop that helps orphans. Marketplace wasn't big at the time, and the scams on CL weren't worth it for $15 in filters.

The other reason not to have too many is if an idiot hits me and and totals my car. Oil can be used in other cars, but maybe not the filters.

Back