How many years of oil do you keep?

Order as needed because hoarding oil is weird. Buying the oil etc. is part of the DIY fun.

No years worth.
I chang my mind to much.
I do have a few years of filters because I got Fram ultra for 3 bucks each.

If I see a good deal I jump on it. Currently I have about 2 years supply, up about 3-6 months from less driving due to CV-19.

Except where I see on here that Walmart is lowering oil prices, I never see oil on sale by me. I've never seen oil on clearance in any of the auto parts stores either. Oil like Mobil EP, is always full price at the auto stores, but is alot cheaper at Walmart. That's the only reason I ever step foot in a Walmart store.,,,

Oil is easily obtained "just in time". I do order Red Line by the case for the track cars, otherwise I just go to the store and pick up what I need when I need it.

Currently: Diesel Rotella T6 5W40 about two years. Gasoline Castrol Edge 5W20 a have about three years, and Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 could be about three years. Depends if my oil of choice is on clearance or if a good deal makes it's way to my attention.

Originally Posted by amblerman
"Hate to pass up good deals......"

Oh boy.. I know all about that.... I didn't pay attention to my stash and just took advantage of several deals.

I then counted the number of quarts and looked at our average yearly mileage and realized I had about 10 - 20 years worth of oil.

The size of my stash was not intentional.

I'm now offering oil changes to friends. :)

-A

*For three vehicles I have enough for about 2.5 years worth of oil changes ... I tried to enter a 12- step program but was refused once the rehab facility found out I was a member of Bob Is The Oil Guy !

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by amblerman
"Hate to pass up good deals......"

Oh boy.. I know all about that.... I didn't pay attention to my stash and just took advantage of several deals.

I then counted the number of quarts and looked at our average yearly mileage and realized I had about 10 - 20 years worth of oil.

The size of my stash was not intentional.

I'm now offering oil changes to friends. :)

-A

*For three vehicles I have enough for about 2.5 years worth of oil changes ... I tried to enter a 12- step program but was refused once the rehab facility found out I was a member of Bob Is The Oil Guy !

LOL. Oil is cheaper than rehab, or so I'm told.

Used to have a big stash based on sales but realized than i always want to try something else. I now buy just enough of what i need when i need it.

Last edited:
I bought Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 for my summer change this year and now will probably not put new oil in until Novemberish because I have been working from home and not driving many miles. Normally I am a solid 5kmiles every 3 months driver.
I don't particularly care to use 10W30 for a New England winter, particularly as a skier (man I HOPE I am a skier this winter!!!!), so this oil is going to sit and take up space in my garage for a while. The good thing is that I paid about $26 for it and got a $22 Shell gift card back as a rebate, so my marginal cost was only about $4. The card is only good at Shell stations, but that is fine as I like to use Shell 93 gas....although I will actually most likely give the card to my daughter for her next fillup/coffee run.

Anyway, another reason to not buy oil so far in advance (maybe).

Usually 2-4 oil changes worth. With 4 cars to maintain, I'd say just shy of a years worth. I like to get Mobil 1 from Costco when it's on sale, so sometimes the stash will grow just a bit larger... although in this current situation (hardly driving), the OCI will probably extend a bit and make my current stash last longer

Back