How many times have you switched sides on the thick vs. thin debate?

I've stayed close to what the oem offers within the temp range but tried to stay on the thicker side of that exceptable range. I like the idea of thicker to "Potentially" reduce wear. However, the smaller lightweight fuel sipper cars can easily be ran on a 20 weight imo.

For real though my fiancé wants a 6.8 v10 excursion. It would be another planet warming gas Hawg in addition to our 6.7 Cummins

If we do get it we are going to follow and use the government recommended 5w-20 😮

Lmao, I hit 105 mph towing a 5,500 pound trailer just for the hell of it on i70 in Kansas once. I’m glad I have 5w-40 in it.

Powerful diesel engines may not be as sexy as high performing, powerful gas engines but powerful diesels sure give a much more pleasurable sensation when you put the pedal to the metal and hear that turbo!

I spend ~200 $ on diesel fuel a week

The epa sure loves me!

Last edited:
the government and the epa would never mislead me or force engineers to capitulate on engine wear because I'm an obedient, triple boosted karen
tumblr_pg7tcoT7zq1tovmb9o5_r1_400.gif

I'm all for higher viscosity after reading and sharing an article from Industrial Lubrication magazine in which the author spelled out that the switch to the thinner motor oils:.
1. Had nothing to do with engine protection but was driven by the pursuit of gaining hundredths or tenths of a mile per gallon in laboratory engine testing. a. Car makers must specify the weight of motor oil used in an engine during EPA fuel mileage testing for the vehicles sold to the public.
b. Car makers decided to use thinner motor oils combined with low drag piston rings and low drag valve stem seals as well as other strategies to reduce internal engine friction to gain a sliver of increased fuel economy in their testing. This led to:. 1. Cylinder deactivation systems with their increased oil consumption(Honda V-6 and GM V-8's) 2. Increased intake valve carbon issues because the "LOW TENSION" valve stem seals let the thinner oil leak passed the LOOSER valve stem seals to carbonize in the heat(unless it is like a Toyota or Ford and has port injection as well as direct injection).
It is total bologna that "modern engines are built to tighter tolerances and specs and REQUIRE a thinner oil to get into those tighter spaces".

The 0W-s and the 5w-20's were not recommended and specified for reduced friction or engine durability. I am putting my money where my mouth is by running 15 w 40 in nearly everything I own. Every one of my cars has variable valve timing systems and the 15w40s have caused no issues.
Observation #1: every one of my cars consumes twice as much thinner motor oil (0W-20, 5W-20) than when I run 15W-40.
Observation # 2: the recommended oil viscosities in other parts of the world for my daughter's 2005 Honda CRV and my 2010 Scion XD are much more varied and include much thicker oils like 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50. But in America Honda recommends 5W-20 ONLY and Toyota recommends 0W-20 ONLY for those engines!
WHY???????????

Oils now considered thick such as 10w30 are often on clearance so I guess I've turned into a thick oil consumer I guess. I'm running 10w30 valvoline daily protection in a toyota corolla spec'd for 0w20 also in a 2016 fusion spec'd for 5w30. I'm running 10w40 maxlife in a 2011 Silverado 4.3 v6 spec'd for 5w30. All the oil I got was on clearance for $11 5qts.

When our Rav 4 reaches 100K, I will probably switch from 0w16 to 0w20.
We'll see how it's still performing then before I make the decision.
But, I too believe that a bit thicker won't hurt a thing.

I wouldn't push it. Mix it and strive for a 0w-18.
Maybe 4 qts 0w16 and 1 qt 0w20. Something to think about.
I need to order some HPL 0w20 because I have 0w16 HPL for the next oil change.
I don't think it would hurt being it's from the same Company.

the government and the epa would never mislead me or force engineers to capitulate on engine protection because I'm an obedient, triple boosted karen
I know you are a ""new"" member politics can get you sent to the penalty box.. but you arent even making sense unless trolling is your motive.

Back