How many times do you WOT a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
Once every other day, in the summer. Until my tranny started getting weird on me... now.. zero, til I figure that out.
In Winter, in Ohio.... like right now.... never. I go half-throttle from time to time to bring the rear end out in a turn and decrease my turning radius.

Oh yeah, and when I had my '78 Mercedes 240D at WOT... well, probably for 20,000 of the 50,000 miles I had it.
62 horsepower in a car the size of a Ford Taurus. Still, I miss that car. Or at least all the girls that rode in it with me, and the good times we had together.

112,000 and 54,000 miles on my vehicles and have never WOT on either. I guess I'm just boring.

Wayne

quote:

Ever see how much unburned gas comes out the tailpipe of an old Saturn at WOT? Not pretty.

It's high time you put a spark plug at the tip of your muffler and wire it with a switch to your battery.

wink.gif

THEN you can see how much unburned gas comes out of the tailpipe.

About a dozen times each trip to the QuiKeeMart!

9000 redline with an 9500 ignition cut, my RX-8 motor is so smooth they put a beeper at about 8500rpm, to let you know it's time to change up.

If you DON'T 'WOT' and redline occasionally, it is actually considered 'abuse' by owners, carbon builds up on the rotors.

My kinda car!
 -

doc

Since I had a performance exhaust system installed on my Volvo 240, I go WOT much more often than I need to. I just love the sound too much. My daily commute does "require" one WOT boost. Its on an up-hill entrance ramp to a major highway. The entrance lane does not end so the danger of high speed merging is non-existent. But entering the highway at any speed below 55mph is a danger in itself.

Quite frequently. While my 90HP TDI is torquey (sp) and moves my porker Golf pretty good I still like to put my foot to the floor. Its not blazingly fast but its peppy.

When I drive our Celica with the 1ZZ-FE its far harder to get in any WOT time as the car is just too fast.

There's a big long hill near here that whenever I get to it, I floor the turbodiesel in top gear.

Start at 100km/hr, and top the crest at 120km/hr.

Trying to get some heat in the top end for carbon removal
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

BTW, the V-6 4Runner struggles to hold 90km/hr up the same hill.

Very rarely. I drive 80+ miles a day, so gas would get expensive if I started driving like that.

Plus there's just not enough room to do it for more then a few seconds. I like the pic, my brother had an 85 Skyhawk with a bad O2 that could do that.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by doctorr:
About a dozen times each trip to the QuiKeeMart!

9000 redline with an 9500 ignition cut, my RX-8 motor is so smooth they put a beeper at about 8500rpm, to let you know it's time to change up.

If you DON'T 'WOT' and redline occasionally, it is actually considered 'abuse' by owners, carbon builds up on the rotors.

At 9000 eccentric shaft rpm, each rotor is actually turning 3,000 rpm in the housing.

doc

At 9000 eccentric shaft rpm, each rotor is actually turning 3,000 rpm in the housing.

To answer the original question. I often floor my fuel pedal-can't go WOT since I don't have a throttle-and hit my 4,600 rpm redline once a day to clear out any carbon buildup on my turbo. I am only getting 46 mpg doing this :)

With 400 horsepower to the rear wheels in my WS6, I have to make sure that I am pointing in the right direction before I stomp the go pedal! Sure is fun though.
grin.gif

Les

quote:

Originally posted by OffOrWFO:
See my screen name for my driving style. Only when the oil is over 160F though.

Well shoot, then if you're really "off" or "WFO", then applying strictly anal logic, just how do you get your oil up to 160*? A camp fire under your oil pan???
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

BTW, I find WOT to be entertaining and useful in passing maneuvers on the interstate, but with the hp and tq my G35's VQ V-6 generates, it's actually difficult to safely go WFO/WOT in normal street operations. The darned thing just accelerates too quickly!!! I toyed with trying a K&N airfilter, but then realized that would be foolish -- I can't use all the hp/tq that's already on tap! So why bother??? Ahhhh, I love this car, not like my wife and kids, but you know what I mean. . .
cheers.gif

When my Caprice was stock with a 4.3L V8 it spent a lot of time at WOT 200hp and 245tq was plenty managable, now with an LT1 bigger cam, better gears, higher stall there are far fewer opportunities to use WOT, 320hp and 350+tq(at 4100rpms and dropping already) can get hard on rubber from a stop. My new daily driver is a Roadmaster Wagon with LT1 with winter here though I don't get to open up the throttle much. Weather and road permitting I will hit WOT a couple times a day.

For the first time in a couple of weeks I got the chance to do a few WOT runs in the Corvette today! It was about 40 degrees and it rained enough recently to clean off the salt. So I probably did about 10-12 full throttle runs this afternoon. I sure miss doing that daily! But winter road conditions here often just make it too difficult for this time of year.

On the bike I go WOT to redline in first and then lug the other gears. 1st is fast enough to break just about all speed limits.

On the VW 1.6 Diesel WOT to redline all the time. I like blowing black smoke on tailgaters too, if I have one in tow I downshift and floor it. I go up and down by 10 km/hr to really smoke them if I'm not in a hurry.

Cheers, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back