How many people here prefill their filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
I use to let my oil drain from the pan overnight until I really thought about it.

3) The longer it is left open unattended, the more likely a fly, wasp, or small rodent will go in.
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I think some anal procedures can be counter productive.

Ooops, nice double entendre there. At the risk of banishment for insensitivity, political incorrectness, and just plain being gross, I'd add that both Rock Hudson and Liberace reached the same conclusion about 15 years ago. . .

OK now, being serious again, I too have in the past pre-filled my filters. For me, it was a "why not" thing. The filter was mounted where it was easy to do and the filled filter spun on cleanly.

With my new G35, I'm not so sure. The filter is so incredibly small (I doubt its empty shell could hold even four ounces of liquid), I'm wondering if there's any value in bothering to prefill. Also, although I can see from the diagram in the manual where the filter ought to be, it's so well "buried" in the engine room, that even in broad daylight and with a flashlight, I can't see the filter at all. I love this car, but I can see that oil & filter changes are going to be a major pain in the rear bumber. . .

quote:

Originally posted by VQ35DE:
I bet you are going to just love checking the oil in that engine ( good luck with the dipstick).

Why yes, it's just a joy. I'd really like to meet (in a dark alley) the bufoon who designed this idiotic feature on an otherwise fantastic car. You have to fight it to get it out, and once you do, you've got the oil on the end smudged and hard to read. Then, the stick, with all its bends and twists is hard to wipe clean. Finally, you have to peer down into the dark to locate that little opening and then fight it back in. And since the opening is so far down, how do you keep it clean so you don't contaminate the oil??? This "feature" would have to fall into the "wart on beautiful woman's face" category. My Toyota had a nice tube that presented the flat stick up to you without a thought. Shame on you Nissan/Infiniti. . .

I've only ever changed the oil on my Subaru, but I always prefill now because the filter is mounted vertically right next to the oil pan. Seems that with a design like this, it might be unhealthy to have a big dry air filter in the flow path of the oil.

I have already pre filled the oil filter for my wife's car's next oil change, which isn't for about two more months! I didn't do it on purpose though, I grabbed one of her filters by mistake when changing the oil in my own car this weekend. I didn't notice until I had already filled it with oil. So I put it back in the box.
pat.gif

I used to on my Contour, it was easy to get to the filter. But on the new Focus its a pain to reach around all the stuff under the car its a pain. I usually get some oil in the filter to get the media moist and then put the rest in the motor.

Eric

I prefill. The few times that I haven't, I've noticed that the oil pressure light stays on a little longer on the first start-up than it does when I prefill.

I didn't see anyone talk about the quicklube and dealers I bet they don't pre lube the oil filter.I for one thhink it is very messy but a good idea nonetheless.Perhaps all cars should be designed to keep the open end up during instalation.
grin.gif

My two Subaru's oil filters are vertical, so I pre-fill 100% before I slip it on. Man, it's nice to have the filter on the bottom of the engine in a vertical manner
cool.gif
Brian

I prefil mine to the top. It is heavy as heck to get on (2 quart filter), but the OP comes up right away.

I also dump a quart of fresh oil through every change to get the rest of the old stuff out.

quote:

Man, it's nice to have the filter on the bottom of the engine in a vertical manner

Right you are good sir, it's awesome to have a filter that is in a vertical position.

Esp. on my car where all you have to do is turn the wheel and reach under the car to unscrew the filter.

quote:

You have to fight it to get it out, and once you do, you've got the oil on the end smudged and hard to read. Then, the stick, with all its bends and twists is hard to wipe clean. Finally, you have to peer down into the dark to locate that little opening and then fight it back in.

I rented one and checked the oil while I was pumping gas. I thought I had broken it. I just shoved it in as hard as I could and it went in. I could see how someone could bend it by doing what I did. Shame on nissan.

I do on all the cars that I change.

Toughest is probably on my car (96' 3.8L Camaro). I usually get a nice little oil bath when I prefill too much.

Oh well.

Hey,

I usually fill mine up 1/2 way. But after reading this thread it looks like a good idea to get more in there.

My filter mounts horizontally and it's in an open area. Drivers side of the engine if you rlooking underneath the truck and directly up. I'll try putting in more oil in the oil filter next time but so much I take a bath in 5w30, lol,,,,AR

seems like I've always done it, even if they are mounted upside down (like our Fiat tractor)

Years ago when I raced, I was so paranoid with our little Formula Ford engines, I'd even tip a litre or so into the dry sump so the scavenge stage of the oil pump would be lubed during priming.

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back