How many people are using really old PCs on a daily?

but showing ~95G for iOS files
iOS files are your iPhone. Looks like you're backing up your entire phone to your laptop (??).

Documents: I try to upload the big ones to Dropbox, but still take up space...
Yes, Dropbox "syncs" files from your computer to their cloud storage, i.e. they keep a copy. You can turn on "online only" access on the computer and it will remove them from your computer but will keep links in Finder that will make it appear those files are still there.

A favorite of mine Dell Dimension 4600; Intel 4; 3.00 Gz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 for internet use only. I had it for 18 years and never let me down
I still have a 10-12 yr old desktop running Windows XP Professional
My wife still uses my old eMachines laptop running Win 7, it's outlived several of my newer laptops. Just refuses to die!
But whenever I mention I'm using W7, people here rip into me as if I'm going to break the internet doing so.

in 2014, BITOG used to be hosted at a small data center in Lisle, IL, which is close to my home. Because of the close proximity to my house, I had a backup server (i7 2700k quad core 32GB RAM) at my home that did twice daily complete restores, just in case. Well that time came where the production BITOG server had a fault on the motherboard and was dead. I took the backup server to the data center and we were back up in about an hour. We ran on the i7 2700k for about a month.

That backup server is still running at my house, doing daily backups, running Linux, sitting in the corner not complaining. It's been running almost continuously for 12 years with not a hiccup. Intel doesn't make desktop boards any more, but when they did, they sure made them reliable. Linux is stupid reliable to the point of being boring, it doesn't crash.

Last edited:
I have a old pc that has windows 98 on it...really dont use it anymore...

iOS files are your iPhone. Looks like you're backing up your entire phone to your laptop (??).

Yes, Dropbox "syncs" files from your computer to their cloud storage, i.e. they keep a copy. You can turn on "online only" access on the computer and it will remove them from your computer but will keep links in Finder that will make it appear those files are still there.
Beat me to it!

Hit "Manage.." and you should see the phone backups and iOS images.

But whenever I mention I'm using W7, people here rip into me as if I'm going to break the internet doing so.
Bit dramatic ? No one cares that you're running Windows 7, it's that you post about missing emojis or FB Messenger doesn't work right and so on that people point out why you're having those issues.

People do warn you -- they're trying to help you -- about the risks on side tangents of those threads, yeah...

Running Catalina 10.15 but cannot upgrade to latest version. I guess processor is too old.
If you're tech-savvy enough, look into OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I updated my '13 Macbook Air to the latest Ventura and it works incredibly well, in fact, it feels better than Big Sur, which I was previously stuck on. You were stuck one version older than me but there are people running Ventura on much older hardware.

Bit dramatic ? No one cares that you're running Windows 7, it's that you post about missing emojis or FB Messenger doesn't work right and so on that people point out why you're having those issues.

People do warn you -- they're trying to help you -- about the risks on side tangents of those threads, yeah...
Exactly. I’ve posted in this thread about older computers I use running very obsolete OS versions for various reasons.

I don’t expect full compatibility with the modern web. If I go online with them, it’s for very specific reasons and I accept that things might just not work right. I also am careful about accessing sensitive information-not just banking/financial records but also things like student records for work.

If I really need something to work, or doing so would make my life a lot easier, I’ll try to find a safe work-around.

My work computer is almost 15 years old but it works perfectly and i don't care for the hassle of moving things. Windows 7 is still king.

it's that you post about missing emojis or FB Messenger doesn't work right and so on that people point out why you're having those issues.
Except most of the issues turn out to be browser related or a page refresh thing. Little to do with the W7. And I don't see anyone tell the other people here using W7 to stop using it and upgrade.

My work computer is almost 15 years old but it works perfectly and i don't care for the hassle of moving things. Windows 7 is still king.
Honest question, is this a desktop or laptop that you do email on, typing documents or spreadsheets, etc or is it a dedicated machine that runs a piece of equipment or similar ?

Your employer doesn't have a full-blown IT staff, does it ?

Except most of the issues turn out to be browser related or a page refresh thing. Little to do with the W7. And I don't see anyone tell the other people here using W7 to stop using it and upgrade.
It gets terribly frustrating trying to tell someone to stop using an unsupported OS when they cannot understand why. And the world keeps being fraught with DDOS attacks, phishing, etc. through these vulnerable systems. And the owners of these systems could not seem to care less. At some point one just has to make peace with the fact that a comparatively small number of people are going to be the cause of a lot of trouble for everyone else. This is not exclusive to computers.

So whenever someone indicates that they're using an unsupported OS I try to strongly suggest that they consider upgrading. Usually the response is "But I don't see any evidence of me being compromised!" as though a malicious party is going to leave a README.txt file on their desktop informing them of having been compromised. Then I try to explain all the reasons why it is extremely unwise (I refrain from using the word "stupid") to use an unsupported OS; both from a personal AND public security standpoint. If still unsuccessful, after that I just give up.

Browser related because it isn't supported on Windows 7 anymore, therefore it's an outdated version of the browser. You can refuse to accept this reason all you want, but it's the reason why.
Ok, so for the once or twice a month event when some minor annoyance pops up, I can ignore it or switch the page to another browser. Looks looks there are plenty that are fine with W7.

It gets terribly frustrating trying to tell someone to stop using an unsupported OS when they cannot understand why. And the world keeps being fraught with DDOS attacks, phishing, etc. through these vulnerable systems. And the owners of these systems could not seem to care less. At some point one just has to make peace with the fact that a comparatively small number of people are going to be the cause of a lot of trouble for everyone else. This is not exclusive to computers.

So whenever someone indicates that they're using an unsupported OS I try to strongly suggest that they consider upgrading. Usually the response is "But I don't see any evidence of me being compromised!" as though a malicious party is going to leave a README.txt file on their desktop informing them of having been compromised. Then I try to explain all the reasons why it is extremely unwise (I refrain from using the word "stupid") to use an unsupported OS; both from a personal AND public security standpoint. If still unsuccessful, after that I just give up.

Would you tell someone who posts questions here about fixing their 1995 Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. to just get rid of the thing, it's too dangerous, even though they are comfortable driving the car and it runs good, just because YOU feel it's not safe? I understand W7 may be more vulnerable, but I accept that risk. It's as if I told you to replace your truck or SUV with an EV because they cause less global warming, would you do so?

Honest question, is this a desktop or laptop that you do email on, typing documents or spreadsheets, etc or is it a dedicated machine that runs a piece of equipment or similar ?

Your employer doesn't have a full-blown IT staff, does it ?
It's my own machinist business. I do drafting for designs though nothing ever 3d and I do all work related things like email, excel, scans, and word at times and web browse when looking for things to buy or numbers to call. I simply have everything exactly where I want it and I don't want to start a file transfer circus. Also have old licenses and old program versions of everything I use that I don't want to get rid of because trying to set up a new win 10 machine with everything I use was a pain because everything needed a new license and the new programs are too different but I have everything I need. Heck even the same old hp printer wanted me to install some new stupid program which I didn't need on 7 but somehow need to on 10 that also forced me to sign up for it so I can scan a silly document. But even then it didn't work wonderfully like on my old computer. I can't just press the button on the printer for it to scan i have to open the new HP program and do it there. In the end I returned the new tower and took it the old tower to a shop where they doubled the ram, changed the hard drive to an SSD, and put a better cooler on the core 2 quad so it doesn't get hot anymore. But I just really like windows 7 the most. Windows 10 is annoying on my new computer at home and when it auto updated to 11 i tried to use it but it just gave me a headache after 1 minute from being so horrendous and reverted back to 10. I miss windows XP the most but it's too unusable now. The best os I've ever used, everything was just great on XP.

If one wants to make a car analogy to an old OS on the internet, it’s like taking an old underpowered car with 4 wheel drums and bias ply tires out into 80+ mph rush hour traffic. Can you do it? Yes, but you’re a hazard to everyone on the road and then can’t understand why you keep rear ending people when traffic suddenly stops.

If one wants to make a car analogy to an old OS on the internet, it’s like taking an old underpowered car with 4 wheel drums and bias ply tires out into 80+ mph rush hour traffic. Can you do it? Yes, but you’re a hazard to everyone on the road and then can’t understand why you keep rear ending people when traffic suddenly stops.
No, at least not around here. If you can go half that fast during rush hour, 3-7pm anywhere around the Capital Beltway, you're lucky.

Would you tell someone who posts questions here about fixing their 1995 Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. to just get rid of the thing, it's too dangerous, even though they are comfortable driving the car and it runs good, just because YOU feel it's not safe?
Horrible comparison. A car isn't constantly being patched against security vulnerabilities. Your car is more like the computer itself, the OS is something entirely different and cannot be compared to the hardware.

If we are going to try and extend this poor comparison, using an outdated OS is like driving around on bald 10-year old tires. They were fine, and safe, at one point, but now they aren't and refusing to move on because you "like them" and may not like how the new ones handle or ride is ridiculous.
I understand W7 may be more vulnerable, but I accept that risk. It's as if I told you to replace your truck or SUV with an EV because they cause less global warming, would you do so?
No, it's nothing like that. It's like a guy periodically bringing up the fact that he sometimes ends up in the ditch, particularly on wet roads, and somebody responds by pointing out his tires are at 1/32nd, 10 years old and have cords showing and he's like "pffff, I accept the risk, why can't you just accept that?"

The fact that this correlates to some of the automotive stuff we've seen from you on here over the years should prompt some introspection, but if history is any indication, that will not be the case and this will be met by flippant non-response and dismissal of the validity of any of this criticism.

No, it's nothing like that. It's like a guy periodically bringing up the fact that he sometimes ends up in the ditch, particularly on wet roads, and somebody responds by pointing out his tires are at 1/32nd, 10 years old and have cords showing and he's like "pffff, I accept the risk, why can't you just accept that?"
Umm no, it's nothing like that either and a flawed analogy. 1/32nd, 10 years old and have cords showing is clearly unsafe by any standard.

but if history is any indication, that will not be the case and this will be met by flippant non-response and dismissal of the validity of any of this criticism.
What flippant non-response? I reply to most every topic I post a question in.
And what dismissal of the validity of any of this criticism? I wrote a few posts up, "I understand W7 may be more vulnerable"
Still find it odd that other users of W7 here don't get as much flak.

Back