How many of you use Rock Auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Rock Auto on occassion. The inventory is always changing.

Shipping costs kill their ability to compete with Amazon (I have Prime) or deep discount codes at Advance Auto Parts /Carquest or Pep Boys at times.

I haven't used RA for any parts requiring a core return.

I shop least at NAPA for my automotive stuff, I don't find sales & discounts there as competitive and they aren't geographically convenient to me.

Used them going back probably to about 2003 ish. Great selection, great prices. But buying radiators did not go so well one time. First one bent to crud, second still tweaked. Won't be doing a radiator anytime soon.

Ordering things like calipers is not practical with cores etc. They need to do some sort of program for core parts returns. Like others mentioned comparing part price, no tax, shipping etc against Amazon can get a little tricky. Then you have kind of a shell game on Rock Auto shipping. I have tried changing parts around to try to minimize shipping costs, but it's like the parts coming from one source, change to another source etc.

I think they have it set up so it's not easy to figure how to keep shipping reasonable. But their selection is impossible to beat.

I use RA.

I also use the local auto parts store, AA, AZ, and Amazon. It all depends on when I need it, price, and likelihood I may need to return something. I'll pay a little more for a better return experience, if I think I'll need it. (but just a little). What I won't do is pay top dollar, unless it has to be on the road tonight and only one local place has it. Even then I may wait until the next day, I do have a spare vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I've used Rock Auto on occassion. The inventory is always changing.

Shipping costs kill their ability to compete with Amazon (I have Prime) or deep discount codes at Advance Auto Parts /Carquest or Pep Boys at times.

I haven't used RA for any parts requiring a core return.

I shop least at NAPA for my automotive stuff, I don't find sales & discounts there as competitive and they aren't geographically convenient to me.

Same here. I last time I bought from RA was a wiper blade clearance sale and I bought about 20 blades (different brands) ultra cheap.

AAP is still my go to store because of their discount codes.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I use RA.

I also use the local auto parts store, AA, AZ, and Amazon. It all depends on when I need it, price, and likelihood I may need to return something. I'll pay a little more for a better return experience, if I think I'll need it. (but just a little). What I won't do is pay top dollar, unless it has to be on the road tonight and only one local place has it. Even then I may wait until the next day, I do have a spare vehicle.

I do the same, check all the stores, see who is cheaper. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, sometimes the local stores like Advance Auto or Autozone, especially if it's a battery, who's going to mail order a battery? They're also good as someone else mentioned as a cross reference.

I've been using them for about 5 years now. They have the best website by a mile for comparing parts, looking up past orders, and looking into warranty periods. They are not always the best on price though, and no user review system can make research into the minefield that is aftermarket parts more difficult. I have done remans with core returns through them too. Last one was recently actually with calipers that had $280 in core deposits, and I knew the cores were trash that could not possibly be remanufactured. That made me nervous, but I did get the deposit back same day the cores were delivered.

As for RockAuto vs. brick and mortar parts stores, AAP is the the only one that ever even comes close on price because they always have discount codes floating around, and the loyalty program is pretty generous. I have had major issues trying to get parts that were ordered online with discounts warrantied though at AAP though. Only had to do it twice, but both times it was a huge fiasco that involved an awkward standoff with the manager to even get an exchange.

Last edited:
Set up feeds for the vehicles you own. I get a daily email with their closeout deals for every car in my "fleet".

Even if I don't need the part that day, I've gotten major brand brake pads for $5, rotors as cheap as $9.

They had Trico brand wipers in NAPA packaging for around $1.50.

At those prices you're going to need them someday.

On average, I place 3-4 orders a month and have done so for the last 5 years.

If you need any help with figuring out what to order or how to get the shipping costs under control, let me know.

Even with my job at a major auto parts chain and the employee discount I still shop there from time to time, last thing I bought there was hood hinges for my Suburban, which we don't carry. Oftentimes I use RA to find the part number for the brand I want and then check at O'Reilly and Amazon and see where I wanna get it and what ends up being cheapest when counting shipping, etc.

Anything that I might need to return/warranty or that has a core, RA is no bueno. That's just the way it is from an online business and it's not their fault.

Last edited:
I like ordering from them because the parts are easy to locate and pricing is good.

I use them it seems like 2-3 times a month. Found almost everything but oil, and grease there. Those things I am a cheapskate on, and go to Walmart ! LOL !
Great prices on hard to find oil filters for my Cummins, and even for my Kubota !!

I buy stuff through them all the time. Often they are even cheaper after shipping then Amazon/Ebay etc.

They are a good place to buy from in preparation of what you need a week in advance.

and when they do close out sales on products they are clearing you can get some really good deals.

Rock Auto is the go-to place for many UK residents, no problem shipping overseas, and they give you an up front price for delivery charges, warn you if you might need to pay customs duty or additional payments which they have no control over.

Ive used them many times, always good service.

Claud.

Been using RA since about 2003 and have introduced many to their site. Very good customer service and delivery time. I buy locally as well.

To copcarguy: Do tell me how to "set up a feed" for my car so I receive emails regarding specials. That would be a huge help.

To The Critic: Besides looking for the little truck icons, how does one manage shipping costs?

I've experienced and posted about their "shifting warehouses". It is a glaring blob of dishonesty in an otherwise stellar company.

I use them from time to time, only if their price is the best I can find and I don't have to pay shipping from multiple warehouses. My only loyalty to buying parts online is to who is selling the part [apples to apples] for the best price. There have been times when Pep Boys or AAP [with a discount code] got the sale, sometimes AMZN wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back