How many new cars get an honest 40mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for a new car. Do any of the 2008/2009 non-hybrid cars get real >40mpg? Any experience or recommendations?

I have a daily 80 mile round trip commute. I travel 55-60mph secondary back roads and only touch the brakes 2 or 3 times, on cruise control the whole way. Right now I'm getting 25mpg with my 1995 Legacy with 175,000+ miles.

Thanks

Yaris would be close. But 38-39 mpg might be tops. Same with a Corolla, Fit very close, butt....

As a side note, a Scion xA gets [censored] (lousy) MPG for the size.....maybe 32 mph in the scenario above.

2008 Ford Focus with a Manual would do it easily. If you really do keep it to 60mph or less, the focus sees 45+mpg regularly.

I don't think there is a non-hybrid vehicle that gets an EPA 40 mpg or higher, but many owners of Corollas and Yarises report upwards of 40 mpg. Seems they both do a bit better than the new Civics.

A 5 speed is a must though to get those kind of numbers.

A member here, BillInUtah, has an 05 Corolla 5 speed who also has a long commute. He tracks mileage meticulously and has a lifetime average fuel mileage of around 44 mpg I think? Somewhere in that neighborhood.

Last edited:
On Saturday I filled my Cobalt in Jackson WI (40 miles north of Milwaukee) and drove home to the western suburbs of Chicago, and got 38 MPG, and that's with an automatic. Granted, I was taking it easy, like 62-64 MPH while everyone else was doing 70; on the other hand I have the optional larger Cobalt engine. I think the standard 2.2 engine and a 5-speed would do pretty good.

A Cobalt XFE I believe has the highest no hybrid EPA estimated fuel economy. Be interesting to see what real world numbers come in by owners.

I've gotten 42 mpg round trip in my 07 Civic EX manual trans on the drive between here and LA if I keep it at 60-65 mph. Not exactly flat either, plenty of rolling hills and a couple of fairly steep grades that require a downshift.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
2008 Ford Focus with a Manual would do it easily. If you really do keep it to 60mph or less, the focus sees 45+mpg regularly.

Wow. I'm going to go test drive a focus....they advertise these cars really cheap.

The 2008 is the new redesign style, right?

The highest I've ever averaged in any car I've owned was a 2000 Focus with a 5 speed and the base engine, 37 MPG highway going the speed limit. I would think that a Yaris hatchback with a 5 speed could get 40 MPG on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Foch
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Wow. I'm going to go test drive a focus....they advertise these cars really cheap.

The 2008 is the new redesign style, right?

Yes. It seems older focus owners hate the redesign, but the new 2008 Focus owners have nothing but love for their new cars. And given their price and current rebates, anyone would be hard pressed to find a better deal on a decent sized 4-door sedan.

PS: It also has 140+hp. Combine that with a better power transferring manual over an automatic, and they are pretty zippy to drive.

Last edited:
I average 37 in my civic lx 5spd, best of 43 (on tank by scanguage2) all low speed freeway. I would have rather got a focus or mazda3, I have some gripes about the throttle lag on the civic due to the inferior throttle-by-wire

Originally Posted By: gilbert46
I average 37 in my civic lx 5spd, best of 43 (on tank by scanguage2) all low speed freeway. I would have rather got a focus or mazda3, I have some gripes about the throttle lag on the civic due to the inferior throttle-by-wire

Just cut a hole in the firewall so you can use a bull whip on the hamster. You also need to keep the bearing lubricated in the wheel.
43.gif

I second the diesel subi and jetta mentioned above. However I might be cautious of the new BlueTDI 2.0 VW engine as it reportedly has 3 catalytic converters and lots of complexity. Claims of 60mpg hwy have been thrown out for the Jetta though. Look at jetta wagon post in vehicles section of BITOG for more info.

I think the Subaru may well be an ultra bulletproof car but it is the first year for that car (not counting Europe diesel availability) which makes me a little nervous toward it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back