How many members use gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
welding gloves for welding- tig gloves though, i hate the bulky thick ones
leather, or knit with latex palm work gloves when handling tires and exhaust
other than that nothing- i love it when my burgers taste like diesel

Originally Posted By: SWHeat
Nitrile gloves. The HF ones are a little thicker and last pretty well. The ones at AA parts were thinner, more expensive, and shredded just like the latex gloves. Very disappointing.

I used to go commando, but it is nice to not have to scrub and still have stains on my hands when going to work. Doing blood pressures, etc. with "dirty" hands freaks people out.

I remember when I would get change in the store and people would drop change in my hand from high above. They thought because I had grease stains on my hands that I was not sanitary.

Meanwhile guys with ties come out of the Restrooms after doing #2 and of course their hands look clean to someone handling cash....
21.gif
No offense to those who wear ties on the job, I have worked jobs that required it myself. Just an analogy......

I suppose I should, but I don't.

On a somewhat-related note, my Dad didn't even use gloves in the winter when we'd be working on something. I'd be there, fingers freezing inside my gloves, and he'd be handling metal parts bare-handed and not even flinching.

I use nitrile gloves fairly often when I change the oil, etc.- I do like them. I've wondered before why they don't call the nitrile gloves, "cyanide gloves"? I reckon they would not sell too well, kinda like Aronia berry aka Chokeberry...

But IMO the nitrile ones are most durable, at least for me.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I suppose I should, but I don't.

On a somewhat-related note, my Dad didn't even use gloves in the winter when we'd be working on something. I'd be there, fingers freezing inside my gloves, and he'd be handling metal parts bare-handed and not even flinching.

For working in the cold you can keep your hands warm by keeping your core warm so your body is using your hands as radiators. Works well down to -5-10C for me and I pretty much have office hands...

I've started wearing latex gloves for oil changes, I figure its easy enough to do without tearing them. I should get some mechanix gloves as almost any other job involves getting somewhat greasy hands.

I use nitrile or latex (whatever I have) gloves when I change oil. For basic mechanical tasks, I wear Mechanix gloves. I don't like my hands getting cut, scraped, burned, etc.

Nitrile gloves for oil changes and other messy jobs. Mechanix for jobs where my hands will be near hot exhausts etc. or near sharp objects.

I even have a pair of Mechanix gloves with leather fingertips and palms that I wear while doing carpentry type work. Now that I'm used to them, I don't like working without them.

I use the ntrile gloves or rubber gloves for oil changes and the like, but otherwise I still go bare handed. Nitrile and Latex tear way too easy. I have a pair of Mechanix gloves but never seem to think about them when I work on the car.

I use thin cotton gloves. I have about twenty pairs and launder them when they get dirty. They will usually last thru about five launderings before they are too torn up.

The cotton ones come off your hands easily, unlike rubber ones. I take them off when I have to consult the manual or go inside my truck.

I keep a clean pair in my truck. Its purpose is not to protect my hands, but rather to protect the interior of the truck from my dirty hands, after I have worked on a dirty piece of machinery and am going to the parts store or going home.

I use to have a dirty job at work.Oil refinery compressor repairs,valves and pistons,nasty caked on like mud,we all wore those nitril throw away gloves.

me too, absolutely. You never can tell how big the gash is until you're scrubbing it clean with fastorange, and break it open again. Feels great.

I do use gloves for oil changes, and some repairs here and there, but for getting real serious I need to feel what the (expletive) I'm doing. Otherwise, the MechanixWear brand works well for me

I don't touch anything without a Nitrile glove.

It's just a lot easier to remove the gloves, if I need to touch something else that I don't want to get dirty.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Purple nitrile or latex. I don't use a "love" glove.
Me too they don't make them big enough!!!

Nitrile gloves when playing with oil or chemicals. Need to get another pair of Mechanix gloves, they've prevented several busted knuckles over the years.

I don't mind scrubbing, but for simple stuff it's a lot nicer to not spend 10 minutes scrubbing for an hour-long job.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but after few brake jobs for myself and family, I decided to get the regular mechanic's gloves from CT. Brake dust and grime is really hard to scrub, even with dish soap or hand cleaners with sand particles.

For oil changes I only use these gloves to remove the filter, as they provide extra grip.

I've rode bare back most of my life. Got a new box of nitrile for the next dirty project. The skin is as old as me so Ibetter start taking care of it. EZ clean up may have me never get dirty again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back