How many GenX'ers do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great selection, something for everyone.

Gen- X audio details required actual knowledge, money and time to get right.

A tape wasnt a tape, wasn't a tape.

To get the most out of your Pioneer headhunt and Jensen Triaxes....you needed a tape made from vinyl run at high speed (if you could that was rare) using a good base stock and get a better signal to noise ratio.

It took effort and time to steal music that sounded good. You needed friends that would commit time to you, and typically you share the good stuff hardware wise creating a " super system" (Buds turntable, Mikes cartridge, and Bobs equalizer) amongst buddies that may have lasted a weekend or for life.

You could make a better quality tape of (Dark side of the Moon) than buying it, but the album art /labelling the sleeves were up to you.

Low grade friends got a cheap tape to tape copy of the Dark Side of the moon running on the lowest speed.

Last edited:
Michael Hutchence went out with a.....

Well... If you know, you know.

Proud latch key Gen X guy here who still loves mid-80's early 90's rock and Hair Metal.

Say what you will, most of us could feed ourselves before we were 8 and left home before we turned 19.

To get the most out of your Pioneer headhunt and Jensen Triaxes....you needed a tape made from vinyl run at high speed (if you could that was rare) using a good base stock and get a better signal to noise ratio.

It took effort and time to steal music that sounded good. You needed friends that would commit time to you, and typically you share the good stuff hardware wise creating a " super system" (Buds turntable, Mikes cartridge, and Bobs equalizer) amongst buddies that may have lasted a weekend or for life.

You could make a better quality tape of (Dark side of the Moon) than buying it, but the album art /labelling the sleeves were up to you.

Low grade friends got a cheap tape to tape copy of the Dark Side of the moon running on the lowest speed.
Is it live, or is it Memorex?

How many of us pieced together a ****ty but functional sound system for our mid 70's 500$ junkers out of Radio Shack lol

I taped songs from the radio on my panasonic boom box.

Was it live, or was it memorex? Definately memorex. Ha

I taped songs from the radio on my panasonic boom box.

Was it live, or was it memorex? Definately memorex. Ha
The radio copy - yeah.

When you didnt have an album or tape you could glue yourself to the radio standing by....then listen to the DJ talk over the opening or ending of your song - which resulted in a " will work till I get a better one or one of my friends buys the album tape"

Albums were expensive - swallowing three lawns mowed of labor. Money hard earned and spent with great care.

How many of us pieced together a ****ty but functional sound system for our mid 70's 500$ junkers out of Radio Shack lol
I did that a year or two ago. All parts free from the transfer station. One blown audio channel, but one transistor later, all the quality of the 70's. I might have paid $10 for some cheapo speakers, but got 2 or three sets for free. [My hearing ain't great, so they sound just fine to me.] Free audio splitter thing above it (ignore the DMM's, my office is a mess! :ROFLMAO:)
1700754705788.jpg

My first vehicle, I I just paralleled some extra speakers to the dual channel system it had. Hey, it came with a tape deck, all I needed was speakers literally behind my head to make it complete... I wasn't into 80's music in the 90's but I'm surprised that my copy of STP Core didn't wear out as it just played over and over again... my interest in 80's music didn't come around until after 2010 or so.

In the 90's, once I got a bicycle I was never home. Got worse when I got a car, then a girlfriend. I'm not convinced my son is related to me, at his age I knew what I wanted (fast cars and faster women), may have failed but I sure wasn't sitting in the basement waiting for life to find me.

Not sure 1976 was a good year but with pride I can say "whatever".

When I was in Junior high on our WWII chapter the concept of generation came up, was told I was millennial along with anyone born through the end of the century. Not long after that definition got redefined and more recently as well.
One oddity is that different organizations and countries set the millennial generation to different years.

Oddly there has been a recent motivation to redefine the 1996 cutoff back to 1999

This is my long way of saying “generation “ is a made up and apparently fluid concept, prior generations had strong events that separated them from other generations, we don’t have world wars and counter culture as a universal uniting feature anymore.

IMG_4778.jpeg

Is it live, or is it Memorex?

The Radio Shack (20 band?) equalizer reigned supreme on my budget.

This is my long way of saying “generation “ is a made up and apparently fluid concept, prior generations had strong events that separated them from other generations, we don’t have world wars and counter culture as a universal uniting feature anymore.
Would agree, things happen and sometimes some event has a bigger, more lasting consequence than something else initially observed.

All it is is some way to use some easy to apply labels that helps understand and categorize, help understand why people in one era act one way, and people born 10 years later don't. It's not the be-all, end-all that some make it out to be--plenty of exceptions to the rule. Interesting to look at, but perhaps drawing too many conclusions from it isn't helpful.

I’m a tweener. Born in the early 80’s so technically an old millennial but raised like an X-er with my X-er older sibling. We were poor so I didn’t get the benefit of experiencing things like people of my same age. When you’re broke it is like living 10 years in the past cause you cannot afford anything new. I guess you could say I’m old enough to remember the before times but not old enough to consider it my heyday.

Funny phenomenon: most people consider the “best era” to be when they were at their youthful peak… it has to less to do with things actually being “better” back then and more to with you being “better” back then. Things didn’t get worse over time - you did. Lol 😂

1970 for both my wife and I. Based on what I see today I

I’m a tweener. Born in the early 80’s so technically an old millennial but raised like an X-er with my X-er older sibling. We were poor so I didn’t get the benefit of experiencing things like people of my same age. When you’re broke it is like living 10 years in the past cause you cannot afford anything new. I guess you could say I’m old enough to remember the before times but not old enough to consider it my heyday.

Funny phenomenon: most people consider the “best era” to be when they were at their youthful peak… it has to less to do with things actually being “better” back then and more to with you being “better” back then. Things didn’t get worse over time - you did. Lol 😂
As a former free-range kid it pains me to have raised a kid who despite my best efforts could experience only a fraction of the freedom I had when I was growing up. It's a matter of place and time.

1979 model here
Raised on dirtbikes and my dad's late 70s rock until the Seattle sound came around .......I have folowed Candlebox on tour since 1993

Dirtbikes Music and Trucks have been my enjoyment for all the years

1973. All three of my brothers were boomers. Lucky for me I shared their taste in music. They had hundreds of albums loaded with good music. Not the corporate rock garbage that dominated the airwaves during my high school years.

Every time I hear the term Gen-X I think of the wrestling stable D-Generation X. Their theme song is pretty much an anthem of the Gen-X mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back