How long would you run this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil in question is called Repsol Eite Super 20W-50, by the way.
Looking through other TDS sheets i have from other Repsol motor oils they also simply state the maximum allowed Noack, not the actual Noack of the oil.
I certainy don't think this oil should have a Noack of more than 8, maybe 9 at most.

Much like for example Castrol doesn't disclose the HT/HS of their oils and simply states the minimum for that particular grade in their data sheets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
And here I thought everybody in Europe runs low-saps oil due to low-sulfur petrol (aka, 'gasoline'). SA 1.6 is high. Makes the TBN high, so should be good for at least what the Owner's Manual says to do. You could push it to 1.5 times the Owner's Manual recommendation, and that needs to take into account how many short trips you take, what we call "Severe Service" in the U.S. manuals. If the engine is always warmed up by driving at least 10 kilometers per trip, then it can go the max. Otherwise, short trips should limit you to 6 month change intervals, typically, and do see what your Owner's Manual says about it all.

I like and want high SAPS for my cars because one is 31 years old and the other 44, and have no emissions equipment to worry about, i want a strong Detergent, dispersant and Antiwear add pack.
The owners manual suggests 6000 miles or 12 months between oil and filter changes, and that was on API SE 20W-50 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
No it's not the maximum. An API SL can go to 15 max.

Yes, it is -- it's the maximum for OP's oil. Dang this place is good for jumping to assumptions and splitting hairs!

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
It's for my Capri, i don't do more than 4000-5000km a year, ( 2400-3000 miles )

Between 600-1200 of those yearly miles are done within 2 weeks in the summer, when i usually go see friends over to mainland Spain.

It's carbureted, the engine specifies API SE 20W-50 and 6000 mile or 12 month oil/filter change intervals.

I stand by my earlier post - 5000 miles / 8000 km, leave it in and sample. With the carburetion it could be done but might still be good awhile.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
No it's not the maximum. An API SL can go to 15 max.

Yes, it is -- it's the maximum for OP's oil. Dang this place is good for jumping to assumptions and splitting hairs!

It's for my Capri, i don't do more than 4000-5000km a year, ( 2400-3000 miles )

Between 600-1200 of those yearly miles are done within 2 weeks in the summer, when i usually go see friends over to mainland Spain.

It's carbureted, the engine specifies API SE 20W-50 and 6000 mile or 12 month oil/filter change intervals.

I stand by my earlier post - 5000 miles / 8000 km, leave it in and sample. With the carburetion it could be done but might still be good awhile.

So should i leave it in for a couple years? it will take me that long to do 8000kms

Last edited:
Perhaps taking a sample after 1 year would be prudent.

The thing is here in Spain there is only one company that i know does oil anaylsis and they are on the mainland so when you add up the cost of the analysis and the shipping to them it comes out to be nearly as expensive as changing the oil which negates the point of doing a UOA to see if the oil could go longer.

Perhaps taking a sample after 1 year would be prudent.

The thing is here in Spain there is only one company that i know does oil anaylsis and they are on the mainland so when you add up the cost of the analysis and the shipping to them it comes out to be nearly as expensive as changing the oil which negates the point of doing a UOA to see if the oil could go longer.

You are correct - for the first oil change. Future changes at a safe but longer interval will save Euros...the value of a UOA is not at sample time, but later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back