API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B4
MB 229.1

SAE 20W-50
( Syn-Blend )

Density 15 ºC g/mL ASTM D 4052 : 0,88

Viscosity 100 ºC cSt ASTM D 445 : 18,5

Viscosity 40 ºC cSt ASTM D 445 : 160

Viscosity -15 ºC cP ASTM D 5293 : 9500 máx.

Viscosity Index - ASTM D 2270 : 130

Flash Point, Open Glass ºC ASTM D 92 : 210 mÃn.

Pour Point ºC ASTM D 97 -27

T.B.N. mg KOH/g ASTM D 2896 : 10,8
SAPS % ASTM D 874 : 1,6

cSt CEC L-14-93 : 16,3 mÃn.

Noack, : 13 máx

Last edited:
Depends entirely on the car and how it's driven.

If it was in my Mothers Suzuki Jimmny which does nothing but stop/start driving and never really gets hot I'd probably change it out at 5k intervals.

In my Wife's Dacia Sander which sees 20 minutes every day of 60mph+ driving. Regularly gets wide open throttle and runs on super unleaded fuel I'd push it out to 10k.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Isn't that is just the maximum that is allowed?
I.e they are not disclosing what the actual Noack is

Does the NOACK matter if with in specs?

And here I thought everybody in Europe runs low-saps oil due to low-sulfur petrol (aka, 'gasoline'). SA 1.6 is high. Makes the TBN high, so should be good for at least what the Owner's Manual says to do. You could push it to 1.5 times the Owner's Manual recommendation, and that needs to take into account how many short trips you take, what we call "Severe Service" in the U.S. manuals. If the engine is always warmed up by driving at least 10 kilometers per trip, then it can go the max. Otherwise, short trips should limit you to 6 month change intervals, typically, and do see what your Owner's Manual says about it all.

Yes, Noack is a maximum figure. Actual oil may vary from that.

FordCapriDriver, what vehicle and driving habits do you have? I would say at least 5.000 miles/8.000km and longer with a UOA; in fact I would sample at that distance and leave the oil in pending the results.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
No it's not the maximum. An API SL can go to 15 max.

Yup. I expect the 13% is the maximum expected to be observed with this product, which is pretty high.

It's for my Capri, i don't do more than 4000-5000km a year, ( 2400-3000 miles )

Between 600-1200 of those yearly miles are done within 2 weeks in the summer, when i usually go see friends over to mainland Spain.

It's carbureted, the engine specifies API SE 20W-50 and 6000 mile or 12 month oil/filter change intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yup. I expect the 13% is the maximum expected to be observed with this product, which is pretty high.

How much does ACEA A3/B4 allow?

I believe 10%, or at least that's the Mercedes limit that most of those oils are also approved against.

I believe 10%, or at least that's the Mercedes limit that most of those oils are also approved against.

Well this oil meets A3/B4 and MB 229.1 according to the TDS!

Well this oil meets A3/B4 and MB 229.1 according to the TDS!

The A3/B4 limit is 13%:
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

Which appears to be what they are using in the PDS.

For Mercedes, 229.1 is less stringent than 229.5, which is the spec I was thinking of.
229.1 has a Noack limit of 13%, the same as ACEA, whilst 229.5 drops that limit down to 10% and also increases the requirements on shear stability by 3x, and sludge resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back