How long to wait after painting before using Power Lock Plus?

wdn

I am finishing a minor rust repair at home all the other steps are done. It is now in the final coats of clear coat from spray cans from AutoZone and wet sanding with 2500 and 5000 grit. It’s a DIY job. How long after it dries does it need to cure before I can use Jescar Power Lock Plus paint sealant on the newly painted areas? I could not find a recommendation anywhere. Also, should I use a light buffing compound first, or go straight to Power Lock? All the regular prep directions make no sense since it’s new, clean paint.

I'm not sure what Power Lock Plus is, but I know the paints I've used on my DIY jobs all state how long to wait before waxing. Does the data sheet give that information?

For something as specific as this brand and product I would probably ask the manufacturer.

Reactions: wdn
It says on the clear coat label if necessary wait 48 o GMCx I hours before using a polishing compound. I suppose I will give it the 48 hours, or do c
it next weekend.

Power Lock is a polymer sealant mol

Minimum 30 days.
normally for new car paint its 60 days or so.
Factory finishes are cured in an entirely different manner. Those can be waxed or coated as soon as you receive the vehicle.

I'd contact the paint mfg. and ask them what they recommend. That eliminates any guessing.

Typically after a panel is painted and cleared its 7 days to wash and at least 6 weeks to wax. Since paints and clears must be low VOC it takes a long time for refinished to off gas. It may take less time of you live in a very hot and dry area (like Phoenix). I would, as others have stated, contact the manufacturer of both the paint and the clear. It might even be in the FAQ section on their website. The last thing you want to do is rush and have your clear bubble

Typically after a panel is painted and cleared its 7 days to wash and at least 6 weeks to wax.
I highly doubt this is correct. Every production body shop I've seen will have a car reassembled, "detailed," and delivered within 1-2 days of painting.

Any pictures of the repair? I saw one of your other threads about the rust repair on the Corolla.

edit: just noticed this is my 12k post.

I highly doubt this is correct. Every production body shop I've seen will have a car reassembled, "detailed," and delivered within 1-2 days of painting.
Well I guess my icar and ase training is all wrong and my 15 plus years being a field appraiser and working in body shops is all wrong ignore what PPG, Sikkens and other paint manufacturers state in their manuals you know more than them. Better yet why don't you look it up just Google it.

Last edited:
Well I guess my icar and ase training is all wrong and my 15 plus years being a field appraiser and working in body shops is all wrong ignore what PPG, Sikkens and other paint manufacturers state in their manuals you know more than them. Better yet why don't you look it up just Google it.
Every car that I have taken to a body shop in the last 5 years has been reassembled and delivered within 1-2 days of painting. Based on what you are describing, completed vehicles would need to sit for 7 days before being washed and returned to the customer. That is impossible.

PPG's instructions on pg 149 goes into some detail about paint care after painting. I think we can all agree that paints continue to cure during the first 30 days. The instructions clearly state that buffing can take place after 24 hours. If a finish is buffed, that means the car is getting reassembled, cleaned and delivered.

You can buff and compound. I wouldn't seal or wax the finish. We are talking homeowner with limited equipment here especially no heated booth.

Several weeks have gone by and I did finally wash it, put on the Powerlock+, wash it again later, and waxed it with Collinite 845. Now it is finally finished. Someone asked for a photo here is a closeup. You can still see where the rust repair was because I did not want to bury it under Bondo. If any rust ever breaks through the paint I want to see it, but I do not think it will for a number of years. However it turned the damage from a jagged, rusty monstrosity of cracked chipping paint that would draw attention from from across the parking lot, to more or less okay. It was four coats of Corroseal rust converter paint applied with a brush, 3-4 coats of Duplicolor 2-in-1 aerosol primer, a can of Duplicolor colored paint, and 2 cans of Duplicolor clear coat paint. Then Turtle Wax compound followed by Meguiar's utlimate compound. All the body panel and roof line above the bumper, and the passenger door in camera got painted
IMG_3223.jpg

Spray can colors and clears dry by solvent evaporation and 4 to 6 weeks is normal, the stuff used in body shops is 2K and "cures" by chemical interaction like an epoxy. 24 hrs max before waxing, coating, buffing, etc. Cured in an bake oven 3 hrs.

Edit: There are a few 2K rattle can clears, they are a one time use only and go off in the can after a short time.

Back