How long is it safe to run with straight water in an iron block?

The point you can go with water only if for a short period without any harm to anything.

At least from the OP info in the first post and his original question.

I garrantee those that have seen damaged engines or engine parts from running water only was caused from running water only over long periods of time .

Those are defined as parts store employees, engine builders, mechanics , parts manufacturing reps offering cooling system parts. Not ...the casual DIY .

Oh here is a picture of my old boat not an internet grabbed picture. Only seats for 2, but still an E ride 🤠

Attachments

• DBFB548C-E4BF-41D1-804A-FE2244C87BDE.jpeg
    DBFB548C-E4BF-41D1-804A-FE2244C87BDE.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The point you can go with water only if for a short period without any harm to anything.

At least from the OP info in the first post and his original question.

I garrantee those that have seen damaged engines or engine parts from running water only was caused from running water only over long periods of time .

Those are defined as parts store employees, engine builders, mechanics , parts manufacturing reps offering cooling system parts. Not ...the casual DIY .

When the OP asked about running a week I said "sure".

I love V-Drives. Who am I kidding - I love boats period.

Sanger?

My boat and 2 jet skies get straight salt water as coolant. Of course I flush them every use but its just fresh water that sits in the iron block of the boat until it gets used again. Come time to winterize them, all 3 get flushed with CLR then get asian red for winter storage.

When the OP asked about running a week I said "sure".

I love V-Drives. Who am I kidding - I love boats period.

Sanger?
Brendela flat bottom. It also has a TH400 because idling I needed d to go 100%on the plates to keep it under restricted 5mph zones.It was a scary ride on the river full throttle on the water ,slightest wave and it would start to kite. I could stay with most Hydro’s up to 100 and then it was just Fricken scary.

UncleDave do you remember Super Shops

Brendela flat bottom. It also has a TH400 because idling I need to go 100%on the plates to keep it under restricted 5mph zones.
UncleDave do you remember Super Shops

For sure.

They were around when I moved to california in the late 80's - their radio commercial was Santannas all I ever wanted was to be with you.

I rebuilt a few SBC's with super shop parts. They always had a good supply of gaskets on hand for just about anything I needed.

Back