How long is it safe to run with straight water in an iron block?

The water will look rusty when you drain it.
Not necessarily. There are a few factors unknown unless tested (PH) or is listed in you area is water hardness.
In the Race engine I use only distilled water and deionized water. I suppose there is enough information now on the WWW to support both sides of the information. 🤣

Let’s have the OP catch a sample and photograph it. ;)
:ROFLMAO:

If you clean your cooling system properly and completely and add water during the final rinse the water should not a discoloration in a short 1-2 week period. :geek:
And if it did would likely mean more that the system was not completely cleaned and rinsed the best? ;)

I'm not going to say it's fine to run straight water, but apparently you've never experienced South Florida. I grew up down there. Countless people used to (and still do) run straight water 24/7. Is it ideal? Probably not. But did/do they do it all the time? Absolutely.

If you buy a car down there, before you take it out of that area, it's standard protocol to do a coolant flush and change it to 50/50 as a precaution. Yes, it really was that common. Especially on the cheap cars...
They do that here too. Bring a new car home and immediately drain the coolant and add water.

I'm not going to say it's fine to run straight water, but apparently you've never experienced South Florida. I grew up down there. Countless people used to (and still do) run straight water 24/7. Is it ideal? Probably not. But did/do they do it all the time? Absolutely.

If you buy a car down there, before you take it out of that area, it's standard protocol to do a coolant flush and change it to 50/50 as a precaution. Yes, it really was that common. Especially on the cheap cars...
It’s far less than ideal, it is harmful and ignorant.

When in Texas....

02885D2B-E60F-405B-BD50-47757747AC6D.jpg

How long ? At least 25 years by my own experience. But be sure to add a product like Redline’s WaterWetter. That will inhibit corrosion and supply the pump with all the lubricity needed.

When I lived in south Texas for over 2 decades many people, including myself, in the classic car world used no antifreeze with no drawbacks, for most if not all of the year.

No rusting of the iron blocks which most if not all of the classics have. Zero rusting and no issues with water pumps wearing out prematurely.

It also bears pointing out that most racing sanctioning bodies do NOT allow any antifreeze to be used in the competition cars. The spills of antifreeze on the race track are nearly impossible to remove quickly, ie when the race is going on, so no antifreeze allowed.

Z

The lubrication the anti freeze provides isnt for the bearing - it's to keep the pump seal fresh.

Well fresh deals are important I’m sure. I wonder how all the other seals stay fresh without coolant on one side?

Seems most have some form of agents in whatever liquid is on one side working on their behalf to keep them pliable.

Satori is a company that specializes in seals. Look a what they have to say on the matter.

The cooling system is used to keep the engine at a safe temperature preventing damage to the components from excessive heat caused by engine combustion. Modern cooling systems are cooled with a variety of coolant types designed to absorb heat from the engine and then release that heat through the radiator. The engine coolant (antifreeze) prevents the fluid from freezing or boiling as well as prevents corrosion and lubricates and protect the water pump seals, gaskets and bearings.

Its true modern water pumps have a totally sealed bearing.

Well then all those years some of us must be ignorant running our boat on open water for coolant 😂

Boats dont have water a temp problem unless you forgot about the impeller you should replace annually.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.46.28 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.45.45 AM.jpg

Satori is a company that specializes in seals. Look a what they have to say on the matter.

The cooling system is used to keep the engine at a safe temperature preventing damage to the components from excessive heat caused by engine combustion. Modern cooling systems are cooled with a variety of coolant types designed to absorb heat from the engine and then release that heat through the radiator. The engine coolant (antifreeze) prevents the fluid from freezing or boiling as well as prevents corrosion and lubricates and protect the water pump seals, gaskets and bearings.

Its true modern water pumps have a totally sealed bearing.
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. No bearing I've ever seen is lubricated by the coolant, that would make for a very poor lubricant. And gaskets? Those need to be lubricated?

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. No bearing I've ever seen is lubricated by the coolant, that would make for a very poor lubricant. And gaskets? Those need to be lubricated?

We're aligned on the bearing and gasket. Maybe they mean a ph imbalance can eat the gaskets?

- (added after ) It is possible I (we) haven't seen every water pump, but the ones Ive seen are sealed.

The seal (s) however should be kept conditioned somehow - and water isnt going to get it done.

Last edited:
Back