How long have you gone with an expired registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plates due In October, on 11/1 pulled over and given ticket for expired tags. I had the new ones laying on the passenger seat and showed him hoping for a warning but no such luck, that never happened again.

I've driven around on home made 'in-transit' stickers for way past the allowed time and was never caught.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Delta
That caused alot of headaches for drivers near the boarders. People's registration would be current, but they left their old stickers on and would get popped by enforcement in other states. I heard about it alot since I live a stones throw from MD, but people driving into NY got pulled over alot more until they got several notices from PA. I just took off my stickers to avoid it...

That doesn't sound like reasonable cause to pull someone over. What NY law did an MD resident break by having an old registration sticker on their vehicle ?

I know they'll pull you over in MD for just about anything. I got pulled over for my license plate cover (twice) even though I was a PA resident. I wonder if I still have that written warning...

But NY and MD troopers were probably on the assumption they had an expired registrations, when infact they weren't.

We get penalized in the pocketbook when we go over so it ends up costing even more than our already outrageous registration fees.

11 months. Car was in the body shop for 3 months after a guy rear-ended me, then a month after I got it back the engine blew and the car was down again for the next 3 months.

I don't think they enforce it at all in Missouri. Also, I think a lot of people register their car in Illinois, so they avoid having to pay personal property tax on that vehicle.

It annoys the heck out of me. I know a person with Illinois plates with tags expired over 2.5 years, never gets pulled over.

Never. Here, they mail your new registration to you about a month and a half before it expires, although it's not actually valid until you pay the renewal fee. I just go online either that same day or the day after and pay the fee online in a few minutes. Stick the new registration in the glove box and throw the old one out. Done. We don't have stupid stickers to put on the plate or windshield. They're obsolete with today's technology and I'm amazed other states still use them. If a cop wants to see if your registration is expired, all he has to do is type your plate # into the computer in his car and he can instantly see if it's expired. And with electronic plate readers, he doesn't even have to do that! No stickers required.

I Mass., most of the police have plate readers.

Pass one with an expired registration and you will get stopped in about a minute.

Here, an expired registration = vehicle towed....and lots os $$$

Originally Posted by My442
I Mass., most of the police have plate readers.

Pass one with an expired registration and you will get stopped in about a minute.

Here, an expired registration = vehicle towed....and lots os $$$

In the City of Chicago they'll stick a boot on your car too
smirk.gif

Rode my motorcycle for probably 6 months with an expired registration sticker on it. Never noticed and never pulled over, just happened to see the new one laying around one day and realized that I never put it on.

Oh, and I drove my Cavalier for a week with a "borrowed" registration sticker from one of our other vehicles while I waited for the cat monitor to set itself (found out that it sets immediately after clearing codes, but takes 5 warm up cycles after replacing the battery :/) so I could pass emissions and register it legally after it had sat in my yard for 3 years. Following the "correct" process would have cost me money and turned into a bureaucratic pain-in-the-[censored] (go to DMV, wait in line, get one-day permit, take to smog place, pay for smog check, obviously fail for incomplete monitors, go back to DMV, pay $$$ for 30-day permit to get monitors complete, pay for another smog check, pass, go to DMV and wait in line a third time, finally get registration). I only drove it around the rural area near home so I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I left my truck unregistered for a year when I lived in Colorado. I forgot about it (moved and didn't change address with DMV) and before I realized it, it was a couple months overdue. Colorado had just introduced a law that added about $100 in penalties for being late, so it would have been a $300 registration on a vehicle I hardly ever drive. Needless to say I wasn't happy about getting hammered for another $100, so I decided to wait until the next year, so that $300 would buy me a whole 12 (or 24 cumulative) months. (they don't make you pay for the time you were unregistered).

Unfortunately I got pulled over going to the dump one day about a month before I was going to renew. Pretty sure he had a plate reader. Gave him the usual "I forgot it excuse" even though it was a good 10 months expired, he let me off with a $75 ticket.

I registered the vehicle the same day, went to my court date a few weeks later with my registration in hand and they waived the $75 ticket.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
I don't think they enforce it at all in Missouri. Also, I think a lot of people register their car in Illinois, so they avoid having to pay personal property tax on that vehicle.

It annoys the heck out of me. I know a person with Illinois plates with tags expired over 2.5 years, never gets pulled over.

Illinois was a cool state to register in-- pay the flat fee for a new sticker and you're done!

Not sure why people would avoid the MO tax-- when I lived there a few years ago, I had a 4-5 year old pickup and the personal property tax on it was piddly. Less than $100 IIRC. The bigger hassle was the emissions and safety inspection required in MO, that you do not need in IL.

Bought a van and never had it registered or insured. Drove like that for a little over 3 years. Only got caught once.

Happened to me this summer. I bought the tabs and put them in the glovebox (tabs expired June 2018 and I got them the 3rd week into May). A week later I completely tore my right hamstring and after the surgery I couldn't drive for about 6 weeks. When I finally was able to drive I could work light duty for another month. The first day back to work (first few days in July I think) my co-worker mentioned the expired tabs. Doh. Went out to the car and put them on right away.

Originally Posted by John_K
When my wife and I married 20 years ago she was used to her Dad doing it for her. Her birthday in Nov passed and I never gave it a thought. It got to be February and I noticed the new sticker on the car ahead of me and asked about hers. She replied "Dad does it." And I said not now that we're married. Yup we drove for over 3 months on expired tags and nobody noticed! The really funny thing is, when we went to BMV to get it renewed, the woman behind the desk kept saying "so you've had this vehicle parked since November, correct?" We said no three times before we figured it out. "Oh, uh, yes, we have!" And she gave us a discount! It actually saved us money!
25.gif

I always wondered about that. If I remember right they ask you that question electronically and you have to sign for it. Do they send you a ticket in the mail if you say yes?

Going on a year and a half now, but in all fairness the vehicle hasn't been driven in about 4 months.

I went 6 months before I got lit up by LEO. It was purely an oversight on my part because my wife bought a new car in the same month that my registration was due so when hers came in the mail I thought it was mine. The LEO was [censored] off like no tomorrow because I drove about 1/4 miles before I found a spot which I thought was safe enough, for him, to pull over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back