How long have you gone with an expired registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those tag reading cameras are INSTANTANEOUS and distance doesn't seem to be an issue.

As above, my state (NJ) did away with registration stickers years ago (1" square in the upper right corner) so mine says " '02". What they did do is add a red square sticker (upper right) for youthful drivers.
Then that went away for one month as the argument regarding alerting bad guys to young girls played out. Now they're back.

I hope to see the "Unicard" (from Judge Dread) in my lifetime.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
In my state, if your registration is expired you dont get your car inspected. Did away with "plate stickers" also
smile.gif

That caused alot of headaches for drivers near the boarders. People's registration would be current, but they left their old stickers on and would get popped by enforcement in other states. I heard about it alot since I live a stones throw from MD, but people driving into NY got pulled over alot more until they got several notices from PA. I just took off my stickers to avoid it...

I renew my registration 2 years at a time now so I don't have to worry about it. If only they would let inspections be 2 years...

Originally Posted by Kira
Those tag reading cameras are INSTANTANEOUS and distance doesn't seem to be an issue.

As above, my state (NJ) did away with registration stickers years ago (1" square in the upper right corner) so mine says " '02". What they did do is add a red square sticker (upper right) for youthful drivers.
Then that went away for one month as the argument regarding alerting bad guys to young girls played out. Now they're back.

I hope to see the "Unicard" (from Judge Dread) in my lifetime.

I'm in northern NJ also, and those plate readers are every where. About 4 years ago I inadvertently let my registration expire for a few days before I remembered. I went to the DMV and renewed it on the spot and got the new registration. The next day I got stopped due to a plate reader on the town police car. I gave the officer all the up to date credentials. After some back and forth I was let go without a ticket. Turns out the police computer records do not get updated from the DMV immediately. The officer couldn't understand why his computer was showing my registration as being expired yet he was holding a valid registration in his hand
lol.gif

Whimsey

I never drove on an expired registration, but I have driven, sometimes over a year, on an overdue inspection sticker.

In MA, an expired sticker is a money grab. Its a moving violation, 50$ ticket + 6 yrs of points, tow. Meter Maids will call for a tow if they happen across expired sticker or plates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by partspro
I see a car almost daily with a Temp Tag that expired in July 2017 and they are still driving !!

In Ohio, up until a couple of years ago or so, temporary tags were almost identical in 'format' to permanent plates. They had 7-8 large digits for the "number" and in the bottom corner, the hand-written expiration date, put there by the license agency. Unless the police were next to you, it was probably not legible. They've switched the format recently though and the expiration is written in MUCH LARGER letters and certainly easier to read from further away. It was no doubt changed because of people driving on expired "temporary" plates. As a concession, they did change them from 30-day to 45-day tags I think too.

Originally Posted by John_K
The really funny thing is, when we went to BMV to get it renewed, the woman behind the desk kept saying "so you've had this vehicle parked since November, correct?" We said no three times before we figured it out. "Oh, uh, yes, we have!" And she gave us a discount! It actually saved us money!

I bought my sister's G35 earlier this year (it was titled in my BIL's name) and they live 3 hours away (round trip). After going there to meet him, finalizing the loan paperwork at my credit union (they have locations there conveniently), and getting home, I didn't feel like going to the BMV for plates right away. I ended up waiting almost a week.... The lady at the BMV say the bill of sale date and asked, "so your BIL drove the car to your house and you've left it parked at your house and haven't been driving it since last Tuesday?" and without hesitation, responded, "yeap". She replied, "very good, one moment while I finish processing this". It was all "wink, wink" situation that they see all the time. Heh, my BIL told a vehicle before and the buyer didn't think about the plates, so my BIL told him to drive it home and mail the plates back to me ... and the guy did. And oh yeah, when she handed me the plates, I walked outside to the car, had brought a screwdriver just for the purpose, and swapped plates in the parking lot.

Never … and I have to bug other drivers to get an inspection & new tags …

I had a bike that I rode for almost 2 years with expired out of state plates. Finally got pulled over, told the cop I just bought the bike and was getting it running since it sat for so long. He gave me a warning and I finally went and got the title transferred and registered.

My truck and bike have current registration, but I have not changed the stickers, so I could technically get pulled over for that, but if they run the tags, they are valid.

I drove for a long time, like 2 months in my first car on a temp sticker when I got it. Then later on I switched those plates to a different car and drove for like 6 months because I still had a valid sticker that I wanted to use up. Got busted, fought the ticket and the officer did not show up!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by Delta
That caused alot of headaches for drivers near the boarders. People's registration would be current, but they left their old stickers on and would get popped by enforcement in other states. I heard about it alot since I live a stones throw from MD, but people driving into NY got pulled over alot more until they got several notices from PA. I just took off my stickers to avoid it...

That doesn't sound like reasonable cause to pull someone over. What NY law did an MD resident break by having an old registration sticker on their vehicle ?

I think my tags have been expired since June. Of course, the poor thing has been parked since July. I'll get to it over the winter.

Never. Not trying to give law enforcement a reason to stop me (and possibly shoot me) over expired tags.

Last edited:
This past April, I got a ticket while my truck was parked at the train station because it was expired ONE DAY. I thought I had until the end of the month because there was a big 4 18 on my sticker. Upon closer inspection there was a day date which I never noticed before. They'll never get me again.

My wife on the other hand goes MONTHS, like six, seven and never has any problems. Once, she went an entire year without an inspection.

My neighbors F350, which he bought new in 2001, has the original, although severely beat up license plate. The blue coloring has worn off the numbers and where it says Louisiana at the top, you cannot tell at all. The letters have completely worn off. He has been told numerous times by cops to get a new plate but he still never has

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
In my state, if your registration is expired you dont get your car inspected. Did away with "plate stickers" also
smile.gif

I renew my registration 2 years at a time now so I don't have to worry about it. If only they would let inspections be 2 years...

Thats what i did when I got my Camry
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back