How long for the license plate registration?

I got a Camry Hybrid last weekend. The dealership was lazy to transfer the plates so will be getting new ones. They use some sort of service to do the registrations and wasn't sure how to work that out.

Any idea how long it usually takes to get the new plates from the DMV? This is my first time the dealership registering the vehicle. The dealership is in NH and the registration is in NY. The DMV says to expect 2 weeks to process and deliver registration. My temp plates are valid for 20 days.

Thanks in advance..

I know here in GA, when I bought the Ranger there was some kind of mixup or slowdown and it took forever to get my plates. The dealership just gave me a new temp tag in the meantime. No telling how it works in different states, but the dealership might be able to do that.

Every state has their own contest of how slow they can be. If you get pulled over, you simply tell the police that the plates haven’t arrived yet. I actually got some new tags in the mail last Friday and it took 9 days.

During the pandemic I bought a used car. Since the Secretary of state (our version of the DMV) was closed and there were no appointments available for almost 4 months I made a copy of the old signed title and put it in the glovebox. In place of the plate I placed a sticker that said "Plate missing due to our state being run by idiots" I never had an issue and finally got my plates 4 months after. The funniest part was they charged me a $15 late fee because the registration wasnt done within 14 days of the sale. I got my money back after I wrote a letter and explained it was their fault. I never got a note back or anything, just a $15 credit back to my card. ;)

Pretty good here in FL. As long as everything is filled out properly, it's in one door and out the other. Maybe a half hour.

I think that might take longer. I bought a used car from a new car dealer in Westchester, NY. I live in the suburbs of Phila. I was surprised, dealer said we can get the plates for 48 states. It (we only have 1) would come via FedEx in < 60 days they said.

What made zero sense is he manually calculated the sales tax by googling it? I said why is it 8%, I don't live in Phila. He goes what is it? Ok, and he typed 6%. Willy nilly.

I think my plates took like 45 days as I had some lame piece of paper taped on the wrong side of my rear glass and it was within 2 weeks of expiring. And true to what they said, there was a refund check for total collected, small fee, and actual cost of registration. i.e. the difference I wanna say the fee was like $40, but it would be very near impossible for me to DIY living in PA and being 3 hours away. Also, NYS requires a valid reggie and insurance to leave the car lot. Not PA. You have 30 days to insure (I learned this only in the last 15 years). Your current policy attaches to any vehicle for a max of 30 days. After that, it's no longer a temporary use auto, and you must list it on the policy. In other words, you buy a car in PA, they will take a plate out of the drawer, put it on, and let you leave if you prove you have insurance on any car. (if you borrowed money not sure if you only had liability if they catch that)

Insurance is not an issue. I have had auto insurance coverage the day I picked the car up. They used the VIN. The dealer requested the insurance details and the binder week earlier.

I am going to call them today. I doubt calling DMV will help but may do that too.

Final update, it took 18 days (including weekends) from the date of purchase and to get the plates and registration. Registration itself took 10 days from purchase and 8 days to receive the plates. There was an error in the address so my guess is, that contributed to the delay.

Back