how long for new car break in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new explorer and was thinking about breakin period. Have 5500 miles on it now. When to put in 5w20 mobil 1 ep and change filter?

On most engine UOAs I've seen sugest that the wear metals level off at around 5-7,000 miles although most breakin occures during the first 2-3,000 miles. Ed

Thats the Ecoboost engine, right?
I would change it now and again at 10K miles.
Then follow the OLM with your favorite synthetic.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Thats the Ecoboost engine, right?
I would change it now and again at 10K miles.
Then follow the OLM with your favorite synthetic.

I would NOT follow the OLM on an ecoboost. The OLM will take you out to 10k which with my ecoboost uoas and others prove that it pushes full syn to its limits in 6k. Fuel dilution greater than 5%, shearing out of grade, and tbn of 1 @ 6k.

I'd change now and uoa a 5k oci for now until a uoa proves you can go out further.

Hope you like your ecoboost as much as I do!

Last edited:
I have noticed elevated metals in used oil analysis up to 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Therefore I would say the break period is about 15,000 miles.

I did my first oil change at like 3,500 and 7,000... (Dealer changed because they were free). I switched to synthetics after from 10,000 on and have been doing 5K OCI until last year when my warranty was up. Now I run 2 oil changes a year, roughly 6-8K per change.

According to my oil tests, my engine is wearing extremely well with most wear below average. Blackstone always tends to comment how nice the engine is wearing. I plan to check again at the end of summer. Using Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum 90% of the time.

Last edited:
All sorts of parts on a car break in. Brakes, transmissions, suspension, etc..
You engine has a non linear curve concerning break in. Massively more wear at 100 miles than 1000. And less and less as it goes on. Some wear always occurs as miles rack up, but it is extremely diminished.
By 5,500, all systems are good to go.
If you are concerned with your first oil change, now is a good time. I would like to see the first fill flushed out by now.

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
I would use 5w30 rather than 5w20 for peace of mind.

Why? 5w-20 is perfectly fine for the 3.7L.

As I said peace of mind. The 5w30 satisfies the 5w20 flow requirements for cold starts and will also give an additional margin of safety at the high end of the temperature scale if the vehicle encounters severe temperatures such as operating in high ambient heat or towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back