How long does it take to change your oil? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
15-20 mins on the Corolla.

20 mins on the truck(2000 Silverado) (did it yesterday)

On the Vue, about 35 mins.

Pt Cruiser is about 30 mins.

Sisters 03 Taurus about 30 mins.

All above incl cleaning up and prefilling the oil filter.

All have Sure Drains.
cheers.gif

Worst is the 1993 Exploder. About 1 1/2 hours (filter is tough)

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill I'm curious I have a '91 and an '04 Explorer. Both filters are straight up on the side of the engine. I use a 9" Ext. with a cap style filter wrench on the ext. Both of mine are pretty simple. The worst I've ever seen was my wife's former '99 Expedition with the 4.6L V8.

oh heck, it takes me 10 minutes from start to finish... I dont jack my car up, I just put it on the curb. Pull the drain plug, and while its draining I do the filter. (i have a vertical mount cartidge filter) Swap filter, put the plug in fill with new oil and go! Take my oil pan and dirty oil funnel, fill it into some milk jugs or old 5 gal oil containers (for the next time i run by the parts store) and I am done!

Thats what I would do if all i wanted to do was an oil change.. if I wanted to enjoy it.. then i take 2-3 hours.

15-20 minutes from start to finish. I have 2 large SUVs, both with Fumoto valves. I can reach the Fumoto and filter without having to jack up either vehicle. I gather the oil, funnel and replacement filter while the old oil drains into the pan. The Fumoto makes the process painless.

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
Two hours minimum. After I come home from work, and the oil is completely hot, I let it completely drain until nothing else comes out....which is 1.5 hours or so. In the meantime, I have a cold one or two.
cheers.gif

That makes two of us!

Darryl
cheers.gif

1 hr.that include the lubrification of all door hinges and lock , hood latch, hand brake cable and the inspection of the undercarriage

About 1.5 hours since ramps are required for my '04 Accord 4 banger. The stainless exhaust header remains hot even after the oil is drained.
While attempting to reach the filter, the header almost guarantees a burn or two....or three!

Now that I've mastered my Frontier's filter, I could probably do it in 20 minutes...but it took 2 hours last night, as while it drained I had to eat dinner, move sprinklers, install my new gas hood strut, etc...so all the old oil was definitely out by the time I returned.

My Ranger about 40min but the first 30 I just put
the fram sure drain on and let it drain into
a 5qt jug.. Only really takes about 10min of doing something.
The other 3 cars I change average about 20-25min
and thats with ramps cleanup.. etc

Takes me an hour to do the Cherokee. I don't have to use ramps or a jack, but I do hit all the zerk fittings and inspect stuff while I'm under it. If the mother-in-law is over I take as long as I need.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by HTSS_TR:
For those who use Topsider, if it breaks in the future, you may want to take a look at Mityvac fluid evacuator. It costs a little more than Topsider, but it is much better built and the container is plastic and you can see through to monitor how much old oil is being suck out. It took me less than 30 minutes to do oil change on MB E430, without a drop of oil on garage floor.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8587

How big is the MityVac, and does it require a power source? I don't have a garage, and so my oil-changing venue is a ways from the nearest electric socket.

’02 Civic Si

Two plus hours.

Drain the oil. Use a Fumoto Valve so that is easy.

Let it sit for couple hours with the hood open so the engine & oil filter can cool off as much as it's going to cool off. Place an empty (full one would be too bulky & $$$
wink.gif
) Asgrow soybean seed bag (supplied by dad) over the valve cover so I don't burn myself.

Lean over the engine and remove the filter with a ratchet and filter socket. Squeeze the filter between the engine and brake lines (brake lines flex). Dropping the filter creates a big mess.

Slide new filter between engine and brake lines using the braille method to find filter threads.

Add oil.

Wipe oil off the subframe spilled when removing filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Benzadmiral:

quote:

Originally posted by HTSS_TR:
For those who use Topsider, if it breaks in the future, you may want to take a look at Mityvac fluid evacuator. It costs a little more than Topsider, but it is much better built and the container is plastic and you can see through to monitor how much old oil is being suck out. It took me less than 30 minutes to do oil change on MB E430, without a drop of oil on garage floor.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8587

How big is the MityVac, and does it require a power source? I don't have a garage, and so my oil-changing venue is a ways from the nearest electric socket.

The dimensions are: 24" tall x 12.4" wide x 9.3" deep. The reservoir capacity is 2.3 gallons. It does not require a power source, it uses a manual pump. The model 07201 is both a vacuum and dispenser. It works great for most late models European cars, I had a little dificult time to suck out old oil of Lexus LS400, because it is not designed to suck the old oil using dipstick tube like European cars.
You can read more about this model on mityvac.com

Between the screaming, cussing, wrench tossing, jamming a screwdriver through the filter to try and break it loose, realizing that you're tightening it and stripping some threads on it, rounding off the edges of the drain plug, getting scalding hot oil in every place and bodily orifice in a unique fashion, crying like a little girl, and wondering why I even care......I guess as long as it takes.

Usually about an hour. I just take my time and enjoy it.

Takes about 25 minutes on either of our minivans , one a 3.0 Mitsu engine , the other is a 3.3 engine . Both use the same Purolator filter and I don't have to use ramps for either so that cuts down on time . Been using Exxon Superflow 10W-30 or 5W-30 . About $1.50 a quart at kmart.

Honda Odyssey:20 minutes from setup to cleanup.

I use a pnuematic oil extractor to suck up the oil, turn the wheels to the right to change the filter (oil filter is behind the right wheel). I never have to get under the vehicle.

Toyota Tundra:30 minutes from setup to cleanup.

Use the same pnuematic oil extractor to suck up the oil. Have to get under the vehicle to remove the engine under cover to get at the oil fitler (10 bolts, but use a power scredriver with a socket driver and a clutch for speed).

Harley Davidson Fat Boy:15 minutes
Have to remove an oil sensor to get the oil filter off.

Harley Davidson Road King:15 minutes
Same deal with this bike, the oil sensor is in the way and needs to be removed. I get more oil out using the extractor than I do with a normal drain (a half quart more).

Setup includes getting on gloves and making sure that the radio is turned on, moving the vehicle to a level area, placing an oil spill mat down under the oil pan, getting a ziplock bag for the oil filter removal.

The pnuematic oil extractor has saved so much time - it literally takes 1-2 minutes to get the oil out, but I leave it on for about 4 mintues to get every last oil vapor out of there.

[ August 22, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Laminar Lou ]

Takes me about 2 hours on my chevy duramax diesel pickup. That includes getting everything ready. I let oil drain while I remove front skid plate and grease the chassis. That takes the longest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back