How long does it take to change your oil? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW 330ci - 40 minutes using topside oil extractor; 4.3L pickup - 45 minutes; 5.3 Tahoe - 45 min; Miata - 2.5 hours - this car su cks as far as oil changes go, you have to remove the pass side wheel to access the oil filter, then break your arm in 2 places to remove the thing - oil gets all over the crossmember etc, etc,....at least it gets 30+ mpg!! Cheers all!! DV

My Cherokee is way easy, I can do i in 10-15 in I want to, like Gary, I usually go a bit slower, but never more than half and hour for everything.
My girlfriend's Honda is another story. Maybe 30 minutes now that I know how.
In fact, I just did hers today. 30 minutes to change the oil and clean up, maybe less if I'm not being hassled by some fat Mexican with an attitude....

1.5 - 2 hours from parking to recycling the oil.
Takes soo long because I live in an apartment
frown.gif

If I had a house, it'd probably take 30 minutes. (Maybe 15 if I wanted to rush it...)

quote:

Originally posted by Sienna Driver:
You guys are super fast. I just don't see how it's possible for me to get the whole thing done in 10-15 mins time frame in my garage. It'll probably take that long just to do the prepration and cleaning up: You need to gather oil, filter, tools(rachet, sockets, extension bar, oil pan, creeper, light etc), put some newspaper and oil pan under the car. Then afterwards, you'll need to back the car out of garage, pour the oil into a container for recycling, throw away filter, bottles, wipe clean oil pan and may be garage floor you you spilled oil on it, wipe tools and put them away, wash you hands...

Well said! Let me add putting on some old clothes or overalls - then changing back to street clothes.

Anyone that follows the above steps cannot do their oil changes in 15-20 minutes. More like 45 minutes.

i can do an oil change on a camry in a suit and tie with latex gloves- and not get the least bit dirty.

Just a tip for changing oil over good concrete.
I hose the area first so any spill beads up and does not soak in.

Hmmmm, well to break it down.

15 mins of prep work(jack car up and onto stands, get sockets and such, put on gloves, set tv or radio to something I could stand to put up with for the next 30 mins or so, remove drain plug)
It takes at LEAST 30 mins to drain all the way out to where it just drips slowly. So while that is going on...
Place cardboard under area where filter goes on, loosen filter, then hand unscrew it, clean filter mating surface, screw on new filter, tighten)
This stuff likely took 5 mins or so.
Still have at least 20 mins of draining. So I give everything under the car a once over for leaks, damage, dead animals
lol.gif

By now, the oil is all out.
In the process for like 45 mins now.
Replace plug, refill with oil. 5 mins.
Start up and let run for a few minutes and check oil level and top off to full level. ~10 mins

So I guess I would say if I was just straight out going for it I could do it in 1 hour. But usually my changes take 90 mins or so, this is because I usually yack with someone while doing it and it skews the averages
lol.gif

30 minutes, tops. That includes the time spent hauling my ramps, drip pan, and creeper out of the yard barn and back. My truck takes a little less time because I don't need the ramps.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron AKA:
I write the sizes of drain plug wrenches on the underside of my hood

That's a great idea! I never thought of it.
I do keep lids from oil filter boxes taped to a shelf in my garage with the vehicle written on the back so I don't have to look up part numbers.
My own cars are no problem but I have my parents' cars plus my work car and van, that's a lot to remember.

It is amazing how fast an oil change can be WHEN an OEM designs it to WORK that way. I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI that takes all of 5 min (one way). I put an oil evacuation tool through the dipstick and it takes all of 2 mins for ALL the oil to evacuate and 2 mins to R/R the cartridge fiber material type oil filter. To pour 1 gal of oil takes app 1 min. Then I spend some time thinking about how cool that really is.
smile.gif

The normal (other) way I have never even tried in 82,000 miles, but I know it would take the range of times most folks suggest.

Outside ramps or jacks, bottom pans, poorly designed filters, etc., does anybody spend much more than 15-20 minutes on the actual oil change? Now that doesn't count anal BITOG stuff like 2 hour oil drains, prefilling the filter, disconnecting the ignition and building oil pressure, inspecting belts, hoses, boots, etc.

30min....I work @ an auto repair facility and use thier lifts/tools/used oil disposal. During my 1hr lunch-break I can usually pull my car into the shop, do the OC, and still have 30min to actually eat my lunch.

If you count everything, including changing clothes and putting on gloves, getting the car positioned level, pumping up the Topsider oil extractor, changing filter, pouring in new oil, starting the car and checking the fill level, dumping the trash, changing clothes again, and bringing the oil to AZ for recycling . . .

I'd guess about 1.5 hours. As doitmyself said, "Like sex, I had to practice a while on oil changes so the fun wouldn't be over so quick."

-- Paul W.

Takes me about 1 hour. A nice backroad drive to the dealer, $18 for an OEM filter and labor to install my Mobil 1, and a nice drive back home!

For those who use Topsider, if it breaks in the future, you may want to take a look at Mityvac fluid evacuator. It costs a little more than Topsider, but it is much better built and the container is plastic and you can see through to monitor how much old oil is being suck out. It took me less than 30 minutes to do oil change on MB E430, without a drop of oil on garage floor.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8587

It takes me about 30 minutes with oil and filter exchange.

Im doing it at OK/Q8 do it your self place with car lift.

Volvo XC70 2.5T

30 minutes max @ car as I do three where the filter is reachable- mazda B2200 - right on the side, tercel - front left and a 3.1 V6 Gm center front. I usually just run front wheel on the curb to get another 5 inches of space.

10-15 minutes on my 04 Maxima. I can usually get the filter off by hand or a quick turn of my filter wrench. I have a Sure drain plug which takes longer to drain, but much cleaner.

When one changes the oil on one's Ferrari, it is (ahem) an Event. The actual time is unimportant, don't you know, and can be impacted by a variety of factors not directly related to the car. Has the champagne had time to chill sufficiently? Are the canapes crisp? Is the beluga of the correct consistency? It is so difficult to get a decent caterer these days.

I HAD IT DONE today.
grin.gif

Free (special), 35 minutes including a tire pressure check, lubing hinges, and a quick check of an air filter, and even a run through the automatic car wash.

Pennzoil 10w30 SM/GF-4 and OE filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back